Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone got 2019.5.14?
I’ve been without my car for 4 months after a crash, when I got her back I had 2018.50.x and was hugely impressed with the improvement in autopilot. But this morning I got 2019.5.14 and autopilot is now basically unusable. It is constantly slamming the brakes on when passing cars on the motorway. Seems to be a radar issue as it also happens when on adaptive cruise control.

The release note are blank for some reason...

I’ve been without my car for 4 months after a crash, when I got her back I had 2018.50.x and was hugely impressed with the improvement in autopilot. But this morning I got 2019.5.14 and autopilot is now basically unusable. It is constantly slamming the brakes on when passing cars on the motorway. Seems to be a radar issue as it also happens when on adaptive cruise control.

This is for model s in the US?

• Helpful
Reactions: Tom DB
I have just got 2019.5.14 today, update had trouble finishing up. After install it seems I have dog mode, blind spot warning chime (although it is not audible) and auto collapse mirrors by location.

There is no sentry mode :-( also not happy with the blind sport chime, hope gets fixed

As of right now (just checked TeslaFi) all 2019.5.14 are in Europe. I hope/guess they did more testing on this and now are testing only on the continent. Don't want to piss off the sensitive yanks (us) who suffered through the first four versions? :D Maybe testing that Sentry *doesn't* work there as intended?

And, yeah, I forgot about the 'will work on all 2.5 cars', which is great. That def included MCU1, as I have one.

Have you tried it by signaling and then actually starting to change lanes into them? (My understanding is that the chime only sounds after you actually start the lane change, not when you signal to change lanes.)
Not something that you like to test in rush hour but did by mistake, put signal on and lane line turned red, as did the car (that was new) I think I started the change but am not sure.

That’s interesting, mine seemed to have trouble too. And took 3 times longer than most updates I’ve had. I had the chimes, but not an easy thing to test without causing a problem to other drivers.
My install took more than 6 hours... well the install itself was faster I guess, but screen was still displaying that is was verifying the update when I returned after work. Closed the warning.

My install took about 1 hr, and also had error messages. And the release notes were blank.
Odly I had 2 updates. One last night (about 1900 GMT) and then this one in the early hours (0130).
I didn't go to the car, so don't know what the first update did, but that one only took the normal 15 or so minutes.

My 2018.49.2 does that a lot. I call it phantom braking. I feel it happens most when it thinks the right lane is merging into your lane to allow a car to come in.

It is constantly slamming the brakes on when passing cars on the motorway. Seems to be a radar issue as it also happens when on adaptive cruise control.

After watching the screen and noticing this, here is what I am thinking. This all started around the time Navigate on Autopilot was released. My car has done this a few times, not too bad. What I've noticed is that the screen will indicate which car(s) it is "latched" on to while using AP or TACC. You'll notice that when this happens the car in front of you AND the car to the side, usually passenger side, are indicated as being locked on to (you'll notice this by the different shades of the cars on the display and you'll notice the car in front of you is darker, or lighter depending on day\night mode I think). Now what you may notice is that your car will break when it is coming up on the rear of the car in the lane next to you. AP is then trying to predict the path of the car next to it. Now since they've added the ability to merge within Navigate on Autopilot what is happening is that the computer is thinking the car in your other lane is trying to merge and it will always slow down to allow the other car to merge in front of you. This is why you are seeing the phantom braking. I have never experienced this phantom braking without a car in the next lane on the passenger side, and it is when I get close to their back end and they make a slight move towards my car.
This is my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

I have 2019.5.14 from yesterday (from 2018.48.12) - huge improvement with Spotify, also with web browser (still slooow, but at least works). No more self-resets/black screen at main console. No sentry mode. Mine is AP2.5, MCU1.

I have 2019.5.14 from yesterday (from 2018.48.12) - huge improvement with Spotify, also with web browser (still slooow, but at least works). No more self-resets/black screen at main console. No sentry mode. Mine is AP2.5, MCU1.

2019.5.14 seems to be rolling out at a modest rate to all those in Europe with 2018.50.7 or earlier. So far it sounds quite similar to 2019.4.3 except for the returned "feature" of phantom braking I do not want.

Same braking behavior for me. I upgraded from 2018.50.6. AP now does a lot of phantom breaking when passing cars on the highway. It also keeps a bigger distance from cars when using ACC in the city.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
Did you by chance notice whether the car still undertakes on dual or motor ways? From what I understand when you are doing over 55mph it should lock onto the car in the outside lane and track that also so that you dont undertake it. Under 55 it assumes your in traffic so lets.
I tested this out today and got mixed results. 3 lanes, I’m in middle lane going about 60mph, got nothing in front of me and the car on outside lane was doing about 65mph so I upped my TACC to 70mph and it refused to speed up and undertake.

Then I moved into inside lane, then out to middle lane to overtake car in front that was in inside lane, my car accelerates to overtake it but is then starting to undertake the car in the outside lane but unfortunately a car then moved in front of me in the middle lane so couldn’t confirm if it would have fully undertook or not.

Also noticed a lot of hesitation and phantom breaking. Yes it was raining heavy but car was clean and it was as if I was kabgarooing at time when no other vehicles were near me - most annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: tkdkenny and OPRCE
Thanks for testing. So it sounds like when your just cruising on the motorway it should be okay to not undertake but its doesn't always do it when you're changing lanes etc. Better than nothing though as now its in the code hopefully it should only get better with new revisions!

Still on 50.6 for me...