Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the update this evening (3/12/19). Here’s what’s new on the Model 3:

Summon with Key Fob
Sentry Mode
Dash Cam
Dog Mode

This was updated via the cars network/data. I’m not connected to any WiFi network.

Not sure if I’m in the Early Access Program. How does one know?

Attachments

• B8F56C70-D953-4DCA-99E2-556678F6032D.jpeg
    B8F56C70-D953-4DCA-99E2-556678F6032D.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 88D7654A-CC59-4844-8A5B-3BA0E4B1B8DA.jpeg
    88D7654A-CC59-4844-8A5B-3BA0E4B1B8DA.jpeg
    514.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 01936B8A-F79C-4746-AD5D-889438FA8D34.jpeg
    01936B8A-F79C-4746-AD5D-889438FA8D34.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 167

Summon with Key Fob
Sentry Mode
Dash Cam
Dog Mode

This was updated via the cars network/data. I’m not connected to any WiFi network.

Yep, these features (except possibly Key Fob summon) were all released in previous software versions. If anyone knows what’s new to 2019.8.1, please share.

Reactions: WallyP and boaterva
I have the AP level 1 package. After updating to 2019.8.1 I lost the Summon function. Anybody else that experienced this?

Did you purchase "Autopilot" only ($3000 in the US) or "Enhanced Autopilot" ($5000) when you ordered your car?

If it's only "Autopilot", it only includes TACC and Autosteer. The rest of what was in Enhanced Autopilot (Navigate on Autopilot, Autopark, Summon) were moved to Full Self Driving and are not included in "regular" Autopilot.

Perhaps the previous software updates did not have this distinction, and 2019.8.1 now does. Though this might change again when prices go back up next week and maybe Autopilot options go back to what they were.. very messy, indeed.

Did you purchase "Autopilot" only ($3000 in the US) or "Enhanced Autopilot" ($5000) when you ordered your car?

If it's only "Autopilot", it only includes TACC and Autosteer. The rest of what was in Enhanced Autopilot (Navigate on Autopilot, Autopark, Summon) were moved to Full Self Driving and are not included in "regular" Autopilot.

Perhaps the previous software updates did not have this distinction, and 2019.8.1 now does. Though this might change again when prices go back up next week and maybe Autopilot options go back to what they were.. very messy, indeed.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your quick reply. I bought the regular autopilot after receiving the car in June 2017. On firmware 2018.50.6 I had the summon function with forwards and backwards direction steering.

After updating to 2019.8.1 I still had it for a few hours. When leaving my work today I got a Message on my screen telling me that the autopilot function was updated and completed successfully.

I thought this was a little bit strange several hours later after a successfull update. So i checked the autopilot settings in the car and discovered that the summon function was gone. Then I checked the Tesla app who showed the summon button for a brief second before it vanished from the app.

Tesla needs to stop wig-waging back and forth. This makes them look unprofessional. Just give the people all the functions that are technically possible to achieve on each car and let the difference be in the battery and powertrains.

Thanks again for your reply!

Best wishes,
Dennis S. Reuterdal.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Hi Marc,

Thanks for your quick reply. I bought the regular autopilot after receiving the car in June 2017. On firmware 2018.50.6 I had the summon function with forwards and backwards direction steering.

After updating to 2019.8.1 I still had it for a few hours. When leaving my work today I got a Message on my screen telling me that the autopilot function was updated and completed successfully.

I thought this was a little bit strange several hours later after a successfull update. So i checked the autopilot settings in the car and discovered that the summon function was gone. Then I checked the Tesla app who showed the summon button for a brief second before it vanished from the app.

Tesla needs to stop wig-waging back and forth. This makes them look unprofessional. Just give the people all the functions that are technically possible to achieve on each car and let the difference be in the battery and powertrains.

Thanks again for your reply!

Best wishes,
Dennis S. Reuterdal.
I'm fairly certain that was not a desired result. It's probably just a bug. Call Tesla to confirm.

• Helpful
Hi Wiley,

They could not see any faults to the car. Your right.. probably just a bug. That would not be the first one. We are all betatesters.

But i still love my Model S.

Best regards,
Dennis S. Reuterdal.

Glad to help, but I am sorry that I will probably disappoint you with my answer: in my opinion, this is not a bug, it is desired functionality (Tesla's desires, of course) and the software updates are just catching up to the tumultuous changes coming from the top.
The way Tesla restructured the Autopilot software features, when they made price changes in March, makes it such that you only get TACC and Autosteer features with the first Autopilot (AP) "level". You have to pay for the "Full Self Driving" (FSD) level to receive Summon, Autopark, and Navigate on Autopilot.

Although I completely disagree with this change as a customer, I do understand why Tesla is doing it. They have a fixed cost with installing the full hardware suite in every Model 3, but only make margins when they sell software to use that hardware.
Before the price changes, I would be willing to bet very few people bought Full Self Driving for the extra $3000, since it did not add any actual functionality. Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) at $5000 provided everything that is available today, but FSD provided nothing more but future promises.
With the price changes, because they moved some existing functionality to FSD, they can entice people to pay $8000 (AP+FSD) instead of $5000 (EAP only) in order to use those extra features now.

I know it's a bit unfortunate for those who ordered after Feb 28, but it is this way now. Until it changes again next week..

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: GSP and SomeJoe7777

Summon with Key Fob
Sentry Mode
Dash Cam
Dog Mode

After driving for the first time with this update, I do get blind spot beeps when merging. This wasn’t listed in the software update notes. Not sure what other “hidden” things were included.

Glad to help, but I am sorry that I will probably disappoint you with my answer: in my opinion, this is not a bug, it is desired functionality (Tesla's desires, of course) and the software updates are just catching up to the tumultuous changes coming from the top.
The way Tesla restructured the Autopilot software features, when they made price changes in March, makes it such that you only get TACC and Autosteer features with the first Autopilot (AP) "level". You have to pay for the "Full Self Driving" (FSD) level to receive Summon, Autopark, and Navigate on Autopilot.

Although I completely disagree with this change as a customer, I do understand why Tesla is doing it. They have a fixed cost with installing the full hardware suite in every Model 3, but only make margins when they sell software to use that hardware.
Before the price changes, I would be willing to bet very few people bought Full Self Driving for the extra $3000, since it did not add any actual functionality. Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) at $5000 provided everything that is available today, but FSD provided nothing more but future promises.
With the price changes, because they moved some existing functionality to FSD, they can entice people to pay $8000 (AP+FSD) instead of $5000 (EAP only) in order to use those extra features now.

I know it's a bit unfortunate for those who ordered after Feb 28, but it is this way now. Until it changes again next week..

No, for him that's a pure bug. If he purchased AP in June 2017, the only "level" of AP offered at that time was Enhanced Autopilot (EAP). He is entitled to all features exccept those that fall into the surface-street driving category, which have not yet been released. That includes summon, autopark, and Nav on AP.

Tesla cannot arbitrarily remove features already purchased and active on a car just because they reorganized how they sell those packages.