Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 SP100D is till on 2018.50.6
In the past my updates were more on the early side. Is there a rhyme or reason to when updates are received ?
Nope, pretty sporadic at the best of times. Some say being on wifi can help, I normally turn off power save mode at times I am desperate to get updates which probably makes no difference but it does seem to stay connected to my WiFi for longer but doesn’t guarantee anything. If only ever on 3G/LTE then may struggle with the larger downloads and WiFi will always be preferred as saves data costs to Tesla

Nope, pretty sporadic at the best of times. Some say being on wifi can help, I normally turn off power save mode at times I am desperate to get updates which probably makes no difference but it does seem to stay connected to my WiFi for longer but doesn’t guarantee anything. If only ever on 3G/LTE then may struggle with the larger downloads and WiFi will always be preferred as saves data costs to Tesla

Thanks-- I am on WiFi and power saving is off. Hopefully soon.

I think there are definitely improvements to NoA but it can't handle urban commutes yet. Better but better won't cut it. It actually tried to merge onto the highway but was too timid and I had to take over and remind it that it was a Tesla. I changed my settings from Max Max to Average and turned NoA to always on (though I might change that back). I tried Unconfirmed Lane Changes and it suggested few and executed them well. I actually was pleasantly surprised as how well that worked. I might leave it on but I need more data before I can come to a firm conclusion. So far so good on Tesla delivering this feature.

I've noticed with the no-confirmation lane change on NOA, almost all the lane changes, simultaneously, prompts the "apply light pressure to steering wheel" before the vehicle will change lane. I would have to apply pressure, and then the car will change lane.

Will play with it again later when I leave work but thought that was interesting. Not sure if it's intended that way, to require you to apply the pressure to steering wheel, prior to lane change.
As long as we don't take both hands off for more than few secs it does not show that message. I posted about this also. I was able to take quick pics to post. So gives you few secs

Last edited:
I got no warning nags though I kept hands forgot on the wheel. I did use the blue button cancel for one stupid suggestion to move out of the passing lane but the passing lane was going 30 and other Lanes were jammed. Maybe Mad Max will temper the car's proclivity to head to traffic.

As long as we don't take both hands off for more than few secs it does not show that message. J posted about this also. I was able to take quick pics to post. So gives you few seca

Thanks. Appreciate the insight. Yeah, there were times where it'll turn on the blinker, chime, vibrate the wheels, but won't change lane. It'll just keep going straight with blinkers on. I'm like, wtf? Lol, then I look at the screen and realized that "Apply light pressure.." message is on the screen so I apply pressure and then the car would change lane.

Thanks. Appreciate the insight. Yeah, there were times where it'll turn on the blinker, chime, vibrate the wheels, but won't change lane. It'll just keep going straight with blinkers on. I'm like, wtf? Lol, then I look at the screen and realized that "Apply light pressure.." message is on the screen so I apply pressure and then the car would change lane.
It seems like the point in time that it wants your hands on the wheel is after the chime, around the second blinker flash or so.

Got this yesterday afternoon.

NoAP now changes lanes without you confirming - kinda fun & scary all at the same time.
MVIMG_20190404_140315.jpg

Reactions: ThomRhodes
Anyone else notice that the seat heat settings are not persistent in the passenger front seat now? My wife has to constantly turn it on. Also, I noticed that AP detects cars in my backup camera really well (further and way more often). It also models the movement of cars in intersections really well (still not facing the right direction but they move in the 2d plane as they do in real time in real life in the IC).

I'm still impressed with how much better the repeater cameras are now at tracking vehicles approaching and how much more confidence that gives me that the blind spot monitoring is an actual improvement over radar (or at least approximate to it). I think they are clearly demonstrating the use of those cameras is sufficient for highway blind spot monitoring and merging/lane changing.

I feel the system is making better judgments but it still lacks an understanding of how the road will change 2 miles down from its present position and how the various speeds of each lane differ based on exits and lane additions/subtractions, etc.

If they had map data, it would seem to be low hanging fruit but they seem to not use maps because it only uses vision to determine valid lanes and driveable path (it shows some shoulders or wide bounded medians as lanes). Maps would also help provide redundancy so I can't quite see a reason for Tesla not use them more.

Seeing some weird screen artifacts this week after updating to 2019.8.4... small colored rectangles show up overlayed near bottom center (bottom of music controls when they're up) and do not go away when moving panels around (bringing camera up/down).

Also, I just realized today that the car has a ton more phantom drain. I always charge to 80% (248/247 miles on battery), charged Monday, and today I was at 170 when I plugged in in the morning after having driven 46 actual miles throughout the week. Dropping 76 miles after driving 46 is wayyy more inefficient than I'm used to.

I'm going to reboot the center screen after work today and keep monitoring, I suppose.

It seems like the point in time that it wants your hands on the wheel is after the chime, around the second blinker flash or so.

In a way you're still confirming lane change, just a different way because it's not going to change lane until you have your hands on wheel, which you should anyways. I don't know how sensitive your steering wheel is against touch but even with hands on the wheel, it'll ask me to apply light force and seems to be particular in terms of where on the wheel. Simple hands on wheel doesn't work, you have to apply force, which is you confirming lane change. Using the volume scroll seem to be an alternative to the apply light force.

Reactions: boaterva
In a way you're still confirming lane change, just a different way because it's not going to change lane until you have your hands on wheel, which you should anyways. I don't know how sensitive your steering wheel is against touch but even with hands on the wheel, it'll ask me to apply light force and seems to be particular in terms of where on the wheel. Simple hands on wheel doesn't work, you have to apply force, which is you confirming lane change. Using the volume scroll seem to be an alternative to the apply light force.

I think they changed it now. Both hands no longer gets nagged. At least I felt a difference.

• Love
Reactions: Doctt