Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who got this version, can you test try the blind spot chime? This is what I've been looking forward to.
I got it. Works fine. Are you looking for anything in particular?

How does it work, exactly? Mine is on but I almost never hear any chime? Does it only work with Auto Pilot and with a turn signal on, if a car is in a blindspot, you get a chime? I was under the impression the chime only occur with a possible collision is detected, not so much a car is in a blindspot and it chimes?

How does it work, exactly? Mine is on but I almost never hear any chime? Does it only work with Auto Pilot and with a turn signal on, if a car is in a blindspot, you get a chime? I was under the impression the chime only occur with a possible collision is detected, not so much a car is in a blindspot and it chimes?

It does not occur just when signaling and adjacent cars turn red. You have to be moving across the line to the extent the sensors believe contact is possible, at which point the chime provides an extra alert. The chime occurs regardless of whether AP is active or not.

I did not hear any chime either. I drove with AP and with Navigate on AP. I never heard any chime. That is probably good because I never went too close to the other car or in that car's lane. Also, it shows the cars in Red when the other cars are in the blind spots. Again. this is noted by the cameras and/or sensors when you are at least on TACC. Because, I may have seen Red cars during my driving at the rush hour when AP was not engaged. When I was on local traffic and on AP i may have seen Red cars. However, when neither TACC nor AP is activated I don't remember seeing Red cars alerting me the cars in the blind spot on local roads. I have seen that ICE cars with blind spot monitoring will alert you or gives cues if another car is in blind spot. This is just my observation driving once this afternoon. Possible that I missed something. I will try again.

Reactions: Gt1948
I did not hear any chime either. I drove with AP and with Navigate on AP. I never heard any chime. That is probably good because I never went too close to the other car or in that car's lane. Also, it shows the cars in Red when the other cars are in the blind spots. Again. this is noted by the cameras and/or sensors when you are at least on TACC. Because, I may have seen Red cars during my driving at the rush hour when AP was not engaged. When I was on local traffic and on AP i may have seen Red cars. However, when neither TACC nor AP is activated I don't remember seeing Red cars alerting me the cars in the blind spot on local roads. I have seen that ICE cars with blind spot monitoring will alert you or gives cues if another car is in blind spot. This is just my observation driving once this afternoon. Possible that I missed something. I will try again.

They only turn Red (on AP or not) when you activate turn signal.

For those who got this version, can you test try the blind spot chime? This is what I've been looking forward to.
No, I found it rather slow and annoying!

When you overtaking a truck and are more than save to move back to the other lane (in front of the truck) it will beep and show a red truck in the cockpit. When I overtake a truck or a car the visual effect in the cockpit is alway 2-3 seconds behind if you understand what I mean.

The chime works when AP or NoA is not engaged, when you drive manually and signal the lane change and there is car in the adjacent lane. Here is a video from someone:

The chime works when AP or NoA is not engaged, when you drive manually and signal the lane change and there is car in the adjacent lane. Here is a video from someone:

Thanks for the sharing the video. The Blind Spot seems different for the S. Mine shows "Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime" whereas the 3 just shows "Blind Spot Warning Chime." Not sure if both are the same. The additional info (I) just describes that sound will chime when a potential collision is detected. I'll have to play around with it more to see if I can get it to make the audible sound but so far, haven't been able to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the sharing the video. The Blind Spot seems different for the S. Mine shows Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime" and the info just describes that sound will chime when a potential collision is detected. View attachment 386267
Mine is an S and I also don't here the chime unless I go extremely close to the other car on the adjacent lane which i have not done.

Reactions: Gt1948
Mate, he said 2018 model s. That's basically mcu 2, ap2.5 eyes closed. Regardless, it seems sentry mode will be a lot later for S and x models.
Not all 2018 have MCU/2. As stated above, it was around March 2018 when MCU/2 came out.

Also note, that Sentry mode needs to have a USB to be activated according to Elon's tweet that I published above. While not necessarily written into the Model S and Model X Release Notes, if you have AP2.5 and MCU/2, you should be able to plug in the USB and see the option appear.

I haven't seen any confirmation with 2019.8.x that Sentry mode is available for MCU/1 regardless if you have AP2 or AP2.5.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow once 20918.8.x starts rolling out beyond Early Access Participants.