Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, Tesla doesn't offer the ability to roll back to a previous version.
Mike, that's interesting. I was cruising through the fleet update data in TeslaFi and found this. What are your thoughts?
upload_2019-4-1_13-26-36.png

Yeah, I certainly do have that option on the car and it was working perfectly fine prior to 8.3. I fully understand that they have a new tab called Ludicrous + which I have, however when that is selected, underneath it's supposed to say Max Battery Power and the time it will take for the battery to reach optimal temperature. That is missing on my car. When that is activated, it enables Launch Mode. That is not working on my car either.

Here are two screenshots. The first one is my car with the Max Battery Power option missing. The second is someone else's with it shown.

img_20190330_005826-jpg.392484

15537035811121602399416-jpg.391843

Did you try it with the light gray background color (in case it's some weird font color issue, yes I've seen bugs like that)

Did you try it with the light gray background color (in case it's some weird font color issue, yes I've seen bugs like that)
Yeah, I had been messing with it all day. That pic was taken at night when it had gone into dark mode. The reason I know it's not working is prior to the firmware update, when I enabled Max Battery Power, I could hear the fans kick on and it was pretty loud while the battery was heating. There was no mistaking when I was in Max Battery Power mode. On top of that, when that mode is enabled, Launch Mode worked. When I go through the Launch Mode sequence now, all I get is the two pedals pressed warning, so it is definitely not working.

Yeah, I had been messing with it all day. That pic was taken at night when it had gone into dark mode. The reason I know it's not working is prior to the firmware update, when I enabled Max Battery Power, I could hear the fans kick on and it was pretty loud while the battery was heating. There was no mistaking when I was in Max Battery Power mode. On top of that, when that mode is enabled, Launch Mode worked. When I go through the Launch Mode sequence now, all I get is the two pedals pressed warning, so it is definitely not working.

Grumble I have the same problem. When I go into Insane+ nothing happens. No max battery heating notification and no loud battery whine as it was heating. Let me know if 8.4 fixes that for you.

Grumble I have the same problem. When I go into Insane+ nothing happens. No max battery heating notification and no loud battery whine as it was heating. Let me know if 8.4 fixes that for you.

nyb, sorry to hear that but glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Hopefully this fixes it. I have an appointment scheduled for next Monday at the service center so if 8.4 doesn't fix it, I'm sure they'll figure it out. Will definitely report back on how things go.

It appears to me that running on 2018.50.6 is the way to go at this time since everyone is having problems with the newer firmware. Not going to complain about not getting newer firmware at this time. Waiting for stability seems to be the best option?

‘Everyone’ is a bit of an overstatement, I’m very happy with the improvements over 18.50.6, I certainly wouldn’t want to go back...

Had a chance to drive my car around for a few hours last night. AP1, MCU1, 2019.8.3.

• AP is butter smooth. I keep it at setting 3 and I have to say it's wonderful now. It was pretty good before too, but it's now just smooth as can be, like a real driver.
  • Lane change does not work with a single tap. Have to either push the stalk down all the way for it to click, or hold it halfway depressed until it changes.
  • I have dog mode, the new climate cluster (what advantage that gives, I don't know), and insane +
  • Insane + feels a bit more peppy but likely just the placebo effect. Nothing happens when I select it, no max battery power warning or even mention
  • No release notes even after hours of driving
Check your browser. I bet it does not work either. I had this issue the entire time I was on 8.3. As soon as I was updated to 8.4, release notes appeared and the browser started working again.

Reactions: Bilen
Just got an email back from my service center prior to Monday's appointment and they confirmed that they want to replace the sidemarker/repeater camera assemblies. Will let you know if this ends up fixing it!

My theory is that maybe this part changed a bit internally since it's a very early AP2 build (Oct 2016) compared to what they have on the shelves... Who knows.

Update on your service appointment? I'm at PDX Service & the only guy here I can talk to w/o an appointment says he hasn't seen the screen message error prior to me showing it to him..
Was there anything that stood out in your logs at the SC that indicated it was a specific camera, or more?
-TechVP

Update on your service appointment? I'm at PDX Service & the only guy here I can talk to w/o an appointment says he hasn't seen the screen message error prior to me showing it to him..
Was there anything that stood out in your logs at the SC that indicated it was a specific camera, or more?
-TechVP

I'm on the road but wanted to post an update. After a nearly 2.5 hour long service visit, my blindspot detection problem has been remedied! After just over an hour into the service appointment the tech and service writer wrapped up and said it was my driver's side side marker camera unit and swapped it out and said that cleared the error.

So the family and I got into the car, I put my foot on the brake, shifted to drive and.... The error was back!!!

Not wanting to make this visit worthless, I got out and said "The error is still there, would you like to see it?" the tech was right there and was bamboozled because he just cleared it and said everything was working.

So he said he would take it back in, and was he was getting in it, I said that maybe Tesla at large figured something out and released 8.4 as a hot fix to correct the bugs.

He took it back for another hour and worked on pulling the logs and was able to stage and force the update to download to 8.4

I didn't have the time to stick around to wait for 8.4 to install but whatever he did, I was still on 8.3 and no longer has the blindspot detection warnings anymore and could even see all the lane markings on a multi lane highway.

So now I sit at this hotel with my car in the parking lot showing the update notification at the top of the MCU screen letting me know it's ready for 8.4...

The service center (Richmond) is really curious to see if 8.4 is going to fix my issue (blindspot) but I don't know how to tell them that whatever they did, it's fixed... For now. Going to wait to install 8.4 until tomorrow because I have a bit of driving to do tomorrow and I'm loving having the blindspot stuff working again.

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP
The service center (Richmond) is really curious to see if 8.4 is going to fix my issue (blindspot) but I don't know how to tell them that whatever they did, it's fixed... For now. Going to wait to install 8.4 until tomorrow because I have a bit of driving to do tomorrow and I'm loving having the blindspot stuff working again.

Do you mind sharing a snippet of the service receipt that indicates the parts that were replaced?

Thank you for the informative update. I will probably have to call a technician and have them remotely diagnose -- so I get an idea which marker camera issue I have prior to my service appointment.
Good call staying w/ 8.3 for your trip. Send us any results, good or bad.

Curious, since you're driving, did you notice anything w/ your sound system? After several Nov/Dec updates where audio quality sounded muffled & not punchy... Mine appears to sound better w/ 8.3 and Dolby Stereo on.
Could be anecdotal... but worth a comment.

Also curious if you think 8.3 AP has improved and smoothed out? On my drive today... AP seemed slightly more cautious, and a smoother ride.

-TechVP

It appears to me that running on 2018.50.6 is the way to go at this time since everyone is having problems with the newer firmware.
That is what I am still on (and happy to stay there I think), does anyone know if I get a notification for an update but choose to ignore it for months does that mean the next update cycle I'd get the latest or do you just get what they originally notified you for until it is intalled?

That is what I am still on (and happy to stay there I think), does anyone know if I get a notification for an update but choose to ignore it for months does that mean the next update cycle I'd get the latest or do you just get what they originally notified you for until it is intalled?

My guess is you will update to whatever latest firmware is pushed to your VIN.

Reactions: Gt1948 and P100D_Me
It seems in the last software update that they disabled the auto dial when you issue a voice command. There used to be a bar that would count down after the voice command giving you a chance to cancel if the voice heard you wrong. Now you HAVE to hit the right scroll wheel to accept. Annoying.