Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a full reboot last night as our '17 MCU1 / AP2 S hadn't received an update since 2018.50.6 and lo and behold I got 2019.8.4 this morning. I thought "I" did something, only to find that everybody seems to be getting it now haha.

I had blank notes on mine, even after leaving it up for about 20 minutes. (I've already read them elsewhere and know what I've got, so it doesn't really matter to me.)

I like the 3-esque "tap to change lanes while on AP / NoA" a lot.

Still updating. I recall in firmware updates in the past, I've noticed that sometimes I had no notes on the update immediately afterwards, but the notes showed up the next day. In fairness, they could have shown up much sooner, it's just that I didn't get into the car until the next day. I too was on 2018.50.6 (having gotten that one January 27) until this update. Anxious to see sentry mode and to see if I have the same problem discussed by other members with ludicrous mode.

I did a full reboot last night as our '17 MCU1 / AP2 S hadn't received an update since 2018.50.6 and lo and behold I got 2019.8.4 this morning. I thought "I" did something, only to find that everybody seems to be getting it now haha.

I had blank notes on mine, even after leaving it up for about 20 minutes. (I've already read them elsewhere and know what I've got, so it doesn't really matter to me.)

I like the 3-esque "tap to change lanes while on AP / NoA" a lot.
I got tap to *cancel* lane change with NoA, which is annoying since NoA wants to change lanes two miles earlier than necessary, so I do not want unconfirmed lane change. I no longer use NoA. I submitted feedback to Tesla that unconfirmed lane changes should be an option.

For those who like NoA, do you not have traffic issues or the NoA trying to exit too early?

I got tap to *cancel* lane change with NoA, which is annoying since NoA wants to change lanes two miles earlier than necessary, so I do not want unconfirmed lane change. I no longer use NoA. I submitted feedback to Tesla that unconfirmed lane changes should be an option.

For those who like NoA, do you not have traffic issues or the NoA trying to exit too early?

It has gotten better in the last few iterations and doesn't make as many bad choices as it has in the past, but still not ideal. If you are in the left lane of a 3 lane highway it will move to center lane about 1.5 - 2 miles prior to exit and in to right lane 1 mile from exit. I have not had it try to exit early ever, but have had it "dive" hard in to short exit lanes very aggressively, which it still does.

The service center (Richmond) is really curious to see if 8.4 is going to fix my issue (blindspot) but I don't know how to tell them that whatever they did, it's fixed... For now. Going to wait to install 8.4 until tomorrow because I have a bit of driving to do tomorrow and I'm loving having the blindspot stuff working again.

So..I got 8.4 yesterday. The blindspot warning appeared immediately after. IC does not show other lanes on the highway anymore. it was working fine just prior to loading (a few hours before) and I've never had that issue before. So I'm assuming it's either a firmware bug, or there's some updated diagnostics that really are detecting faults now that it couldn't before. Or maybe it's calibrating? I plan to give it a couple days before contacting service.

Driving on some of my common routes with AP, this is a definite improvement in AS over 2018.50.6. More confident, smoother steering. Less tendency to steer towards asphalt that's not the actual path the lane takes. Looking forward to a longer drive this weekend.

I got 2019.8.4 today. NOA still requires confirmation from the stalk before changing lane. It may be Canada specific.

In EU it seems only model 3 has NOA.

You US folks are so lucky. Summon via keyfob and some now had advanced summon.

Summon via the keyfob is not available on any model in the EU and summon via the app usually requires several attempts if it even works at all due to lousy phone network and/or the key thinking the keyfob is not near the car.

Reactions: fmonera
So..I got 8.4 yesterday. The blindspot warning appeared immediately after. IC does not show other lanes on the highway anymore. it was working fine just prior to loading (a few hours before) and I've never had that issue before. So I'm assuming it's either a firmware bug, or there's some updated diagnostics that really are detecting faults now that it couldn't before. Or maybe it's calibrating? I plan to give it a couple days before contacting service.

Driving on some of my common routes with AP, this is a definite improvement in AS over 2018.50.6. More confident, smoother steering. Less tendency to steer towards asphalt that's not the actual path the lane takes. Looking forward to a longer drive this weekend.

Agree. This is an improvement. The car doesn't brake as suddenly as it used to when another car would come in front. Also when taking exit ramp, the NOAP stays on for additional few hundred feet.

I have not read this thread but got 2019.8.4 last night. Feedback from today’s 80 miles of commuting:

Prior version: 2018.50.6 4ec03ed
2017 Model S 75D, EAP/FSD AP 2.0, MCU1

AP is super twitchy and feels nervous.
Lane division lines now seen outside of AP mode
Numerous braking events, am no longer trusting it. Prior version 2018.50.6 did not have these events nearly as much.
Instrument cluster locked up
HVAC controls having seat heat etc on the first page is a welcome change, would prefer old 8.x UI and camera on top.

Overall I am not trusting this version at all. It’s as if the car has forgotten everything and is having to relearn. It reminds me of how the car behaves in 2017, or worse. I have never had it behave this twitchy and nervous before. I also saw the car images on the instrument cluster spinning all around as if the car was dizzy and couldn’t track them. Very bizarre behaviour. (Car was stopped at a light). The neighboring car display early on felt rough/bouncy when it came out but in 2018.50.6 things seemed to calm down pretty nicely but this was absolutely bonkers today. The car images were literally spinning around in circles on the cluster.

• Helpful
Reactions: rnortman
I'm guessing that's the problem. I thought somewhere it was said that you need 32GB of maybe 64GB minimum because you've got a 3-cam Dashcam running while driving and then Sentry Mode which is also 3 cam. I could be wrong.

I went with a 128GB SanDisk USB Drive.

I have a 4GB usb key that works; apparently the one I was using no longer is recognized for whatever reason.
But the usb drive then did get the 'x' after enabling sentry mode. I was able to view the video clips that it did
record up until the 'x' appeared. I did not remove the drive causing the 'x' but noticed it when I returned to the
car and sentry mode disabled. I guess still a work in progress. Nice to see the side cameras recording!
Thanks Tesla!

Prior version: 2018.50.6 4ec03ed
2017 Model S 75D, EAP/FSD AP 2.0, MCU1

AP is super twitchy and feels nervous.
Lane division lines now seen outside of AP mode
Numerous braking events, am no longer trusting it. Prior version 2018.50.6 did not have these events nearly as much.
Instrument cluster locked up
HVAC controls having seat heat etc on the first page is a welcome change, would prefer old 8.x UI and camera on top.

So does anyone with AP2.5 see the same problems , and does anyone with AP2.0 not see these problems?

i.e. is it just that this version is better optimized for HW2.5, or is it something else entirely?