Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We still don't have NoA here, but even doing lane changes manually on 2019.8.4 whilst on autosteer I always get a nag notification before it will perform the lane change. My touch has always been too light for the nag warnings even though I use both hands and it's still annoying me that we're being forced to 'drive differently' by using one hand instead of two which is more likely to apply constant torque to the steering wheel. No doubt UALC has the same 'recent detection' confirmation logic that even manually initiated lane changes do.

We still don't have NoA here, but even doing lane changes manually on 2019.8.4 whilst on autosteer I always get a nag notification before it will perform the lane change. My touch has always been too light for the nag warnings even though I use both hands and it's still annoying me that we're being forced to 'drive differently' by using one hand instead of two which is more likely to apply constant torque to the steering wheel. No doubt UALC has the same 'recent detection' confirmation logic that even manually initiated lane changes do.
A little torque is what it wants. Enough to apply a little pressure but not enough to cause AP to disengage. I seldom get nags even when applying pressure with one finger. Two hands on wheel doesn't cause any problem.

A little torque is what it wants. Enough to apply a little pressure but not enough to cause AP to disengage. I seldom get nags even when applying pressure with one finger. Two hands on wheel doesn't cause any problem.
I'm quite aware of what it requires, I did say torque. It's just incredibly unnatural and uncomfortable (for me) to be constantly applying force when the car's just going straight. We've had this argument to death last year when the nags began but it's back to haunt everyone now since it won't lane change without it.

Reactions: boaterva
Has anyone seen a "red light alert/warning" with .5 software? The update features says it "may warn you if you are about to run a red light when on autopilot." I haven't received any kind of warning and have pushed it close a couple of times before disabling autopilot and braking. Have not seen the little "light" symbol that @verygreen showed in his hacked version (and I realize what he sees is not what we are receiving). Just wondering if anyone has seen it/what it looks like/how well/often it works.

Reading though this thread can someone on Twitter ping Elon asking can they please list in detail the changes with each release (even if on a webpage), specifically bug fixes, operational changes and what vehicles and AP hardware level they apply to.
All this guessing about what they've changed or haven't changed is crazy, every other piece of software I use lists the bug fixes and changes in detail and we keep getting told Tesla is a tech company more than a vehicle manufacturer so lets see them act like one :)

Reading though this thread can someone on Twitter ping Elon asking can they please list in detail the changes with each release (even if on a webpage), specifically bug fixes, operational changes and what vehicles and AP hardware level they apply to.
All this guessing about what they've changed or haven't changed is crazy, every other piece of software I use lists the bug fixes and changes in detail and we keep getting told Tesla is a tech company more than a vehicle manufacturer so lets see them act like one :)
did not you see the bottom of release notes (every one of them)? It lays it out super clear:

Release notes said:
This release contains minor improvements and bug fixes

After no updates for months, I got 8.3 several days ago and 8.5 today. The auto lane changes without confirmation should be a big feature. But I'll wait for more reports from people that have used it before I try it, to see if it has reduced the number of changes suggested where confirmation is required and made little sense to a human driver.

Reactions: ThomRhodes
I guess they are to scared to do it. Obviously they fix stuff, and create new issues all the time.

A ton of issues like "Fixed situations where the car could accelerate into pedestrians" would likely make headlines and cause regulators to ask questions.

Then issues like "Fixed problem with ultrasonic sensors introduced in blabla" would likely cause 50 people all over the world demanding compensation. Claiming the sensors suddenly stopping to work caused by sloppy Tesla developers caused them to run into something.

Then just the lists itself of hundreds of issues would likely be fuel on the fire of negative Tesla press.

Microsoft with Windows is also likely to cost their customers a lot of money for errors they make in their patches. But the computer/software world is newer and has other traditions dealing with that. Also liability disclaimers, no software vendor accepts any liability for damage caused by their software. With cars, which also can do a lot of damage, this is a massive ship to turn. You have to be brave to be transparent.

Has anyone seen a "red light alert/warning" with .5 software? The update features says it "may warn you if you are about to run a red light when on autopilot." I haven't received any kind of warning and have pushed it close a couple of times before disabling autopilot and braking. Have not seen the little "light" symbol that @verygreen showed in his hacked version (and I realize what he sees is not what we are receiving). Just wondering if anyone has seen it/what it looks like/how well/often it works.
I have. It comes on a few seconds after you think oh "Sugar". I must have bailed out a dozen times before I let it go long enough to activate. Then required agressive breaking to stop prior to entering the intersection.

Seeing some weird screen artifacts this week after updating to 2019.8.4... small colored rectangles show up overlayed near bottom center (bottom of music controls when they're up) and do not go away when moving panels around (bringing camera up/down).

Also, I just realized today that the car has a ton more phantom drain. I always charge to 80% (248/247 miles on battery), charged Monday, and today I was at 170 when I plugged in in the morning after having driven 46 actual miles throughout the week. Dropping 76 miles after driving 46 is wayyy more inefficient than I'm used to.

I'm going to reboot the center screen after work today and keep monitoring, I suppose.
I'm still on 2019.8.4 myself, waiting for .5 to drop. Seeing colored rectangles around HVAC controls when in use, and totally garbled power-down dialog during one of several power-down/restarts done in the past few days to see if it helped (it didn't). On 2018.8.4 also seeing intermittent WiFi connectivity (connects for a while, then drops back to LTE, then reconnects to WiFi and so on...), and intermittent slacker streaming both while in the garage on WiFi, and while driving on LTE. To me, this feels like runaway processes consuming all resources in the MCU, impacting other services. Was on 2018.50.6 until I got 2019.8.4 a couple days ago - that was a far more stable release than this series.

• Informative
Reactions: leporsche
Elon gets 10s of thousands of tweets every day. The likelihood of him responding to one is like lottery. Then again if you think about the CEO of a multibillion dollar company responding to customers directly, that's pretty amazing, but this is hardly going to be a reliable strategy for getting support.

Reactions: Gt1948
It actually occurred to me just how ridiculous this is. I've just hit the indicator to request a lane change so it KNOWS I'm there and aware, but it still wants me to turn the steering wheel and confirm I'm there :(

After no updates for months, I got 8.3 several days ago and 8.5 today. The auto lane changes without confirmation should be a big feature. But I'll wait for more reports from people that have used it before I try it, to see if it has reduced the number of changes suggested where confirmation is required and made little sense to a human driver.

I went from 8.3 to 8.5 today. So far I am thrilled. The automatic lane change is really really good, confirmation with a sound and a shake is very effective. It is no longer necessary to constantly watch the IC, which I was always skeptical of doing.

It even plays polite on the highway: I was in the center lane slowly overtaking a line of traffic, the chimed and buzzed me into the left lane, well in advance of the actual requirement. Another vehicle came up behind me very quickly. My car recognized that and moved me back into the center lane, allowing the vehicle behind to scoot past. Of course, my car slowed slightly to match the speed of the slower traffic in the center. I was really impressed with that maneuver.

I found the MadMax setting to reasonably conservative, spacing was near perfect, lower settings appear to just allow your car to slow more before trying to auto-change.

I can’t wait to try it in a location I am less familiar with. One of the main advantages of NoA is placing you in the correct lane to “follow the route”

I'm still on 2019.8.4 myself, waiting for .5 to drop. Seeing colored rectangles around HVAC controls when in use, and totally garbled power-down dialog during one of several power-down/restarts done in the past few days to see if it helped (it didn't). On 2018.8.4 also seeing intermittent WiFi connectivity (connects for a while, then drops back to LTE, then reconnects to WiFi and so on...), and intermittent slacker streaming both while in the garage on WiFi, and while driving on LTE. To me, this feels like runaway processes consuming all resources in the MCU, impacting other services. Was on 2018.50.6 until I got 2019.8.4 a couple days ago - that was a far more stable release than this
I'm still on 2019.8.4 myself, waiting for .5 to drop. Seeing colored rectangles around HVAC controls when in use, and totally garbled power-down dialog during one of several power-down/restarts done in the past few days to see if it helped (it didn't). On 2018.8.4 also seeing intermittent WiFi connectivity (connects for a while, then drops back to LTE, then reconnects to WiFi and so on...), and intermittent slacker streaming both while in the garage on WiFi, and while driving on LTE. To me, this feels like runaway processes consuming all resources in the MCU, impacting other services. Was on 2018.50.6 until I got 2019.8.4 a couple days ago - that was a far more stable release than this series.

Glad to know I'm not alone, haha. Yeah, I want to have faith that everytime I update, I'm not introducing new bugs to my car, but 2019.8.4 is shaking my faith a little.

I'm quite aware of what it requires, I did say torque. It's just incredibly unnatural and uncomfortable (for me) to be constantly applying force when the car's just going straight. We've had this argument to death last year when the nags began but it's back to haunt everyone now since it won't lane change without it.
It's a learned skill and it took me a long time to be proficient. Now it's second nature with one hand on the wheel and I don't even think about it. I still get a nag but very infrequently. From Tesla perspective knowing the regulators are certainly watching them what would you have them do? Requiring your hand to be on the steering wheel when an automatic lane change is about to happen is really the only option they have right now. To you have a better alternative?

Last edited: