Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed 2019.8.4 (from 2018.50.6) on my 2017 MSP100D AP2/MCU1 and made a 700 km round-trip to Ottawa this past weekend. I took the short route Highway 7 versus the longer with Superchargers along the 401. There were a few stretches when I was on 400-series highways where the exit lane features of NOA come into effect. Otherwise, it was essentially TACC with auto steering for most of the trip. I seldom receive hands on the wheel nags because I keep one or both hands on the wheel at all times.

I was disappointed at the AP performance due to countless episodes of phantom braking, dozens of unexpected disengagement of AP with the red hands warning me to take over immediately, warnings that the car was departing the lane and dozens more times when using TACC alone that the red hands popped up and TACC was disengaged suddenly. It was so unpredictable that I would not use TACC or AP if there was a vehicle behind me because the unwarranted slowdown could take the driver behind by surprise. I have never experienced such skittish performance from any previous software release. TACC has always been solid. It had me thinking that there is a hardware fail in a camera, radar or ultrasonic sensor. There was no bright sun in the cameras and all sensors and cameras were clean. The autosteer also veered into left turn lanes a number of times instead of maintaining course straight ahead. At these times it seemed that the car was somehow being fooled and misreading the otherwise perfectly clear lane markings. The whole experience made for far-less comfort than I have come to expect during a Tesla road trip.

I did not experience this behaviour when on the major highways, but that was for too short a distance to conclude it only functioned poorly on a secondary highway. Having read all the posts before this I believe my experiences were more exaggerated that the other reports of phantom braking and nervous behaviour, so it appears I am alone in being treated to such severe occurrences. Note that I did all the suggested reboots after s/w installation and I did a few during the trip also prompted by the browser freezing a few times.

It seems that this 2019.8.4 and my car just do not get along.

• Informative
Reactions: conman
Not her house, but same apartment complex. I was very impressed it made it.

Google Maps
I confirm that summon on 2018.12 is still as useful as a chocolate teacup.
It failed to get over the sub-1" lip into my garage again:
20190408_194158.jpg
20190408_194315.jpg

I confirm that summon on 2018.12 is still as useful as a chocolate teacup.
It failed to get over the sub-1" lip into my garage again:View attachment 395034 View attachment 395035
If and when I get Enhanced Summon I may not be able to use on my driveway or into my garage either. Now itself my car is constantly stopping when I use the current Summon as my driveway is kind of like an arc even tho slightly. The apron from the street to my driveway had a 2 in raise and a 4 in tall curb. talk about all the curb rash my car will get on my 21in beautiful wheels.

Had a fun new bug yesterday that I've never encountered before: The seatbelt chime came on when I put my foot on the brake to wake the car and would not turn off. I even completely exited the vehicle and closed the door - car shut down and screens went dark but the chime kept chiming. Took a 2-scrolwheel salute to make it shut up.

I got .12 this morning, but it didn't help - still have the warning. But on 8.5, I did a ~250mi drive with 8.5 and I was really happy with the steering improvement over 2018.50.6. Also, auto wipers was much improved in 8.5. Now TACC on the other hand...sheesh. It's like someone was pumping my brakes fairly often throughout the drive. Pretty annoying. I'm hoping getting the cameras fixed (scheduled for Wednesday) might help with that. Or maybe its better in .12, I haven't driven on that version yet.

I guess they did some checking remotely, I got this today ahead of my appointment for Wednesday
upload_2019-4-8_17-4-36.png

After the Software update 2019.8.5 3aaa23d i noticed that a section of front headlights are "on".

Is only visible when is dark (no lights ).

Maybe is a new setting, or Im missing some info. Any one else ?
View attachment 393965

The LED eyebrows on my 2018 usually glow a bit in complete darkness. Not so on my 2013. I read on Tesla forum that the new LEDs can retain small charge when off, leading to the glow.

OMG I thought I was just imagining my headlights when I saw that too. Good thing I'm not the only one.

FYI, there have been a couple threads on this. I have the same issue on my passenger headlight that I noticed a few months back. NOW part of the light bar no longer turns on. I have an appt for the headlight to be replaced. So its possible this is a precursor to your headlight needing to be replaced soon.

Got an update only a few minutes ago here in Australia, but I only went from 2019.8.4 to 2019.8.5. I'm guessing .12 isn't being rolled out here yet. What's more is I got absolutely no new features whatsoever since we don't have NoA. The release notes just showed the previous release notes. So I guess it was rolled out here as a bugfix release, though we will be benefiting from the new Neural Network in this release.

Had a fun new bug yesterday that I've never encountered before: The seatbelt chime came on when I put my foot on the brake to wake the car and would not turn off. I even completely exited the vehicle and closed the door - car shut down and screens went dark but the chime kept chiming. Took a 2-scrolwheel salute to make it shut up.

I've had that one a few times on previous firmware versions too. One time the chime glitched as if it was reading the same short sample over and over again, that was really annoying :).

I wasn't sure if it was the seatbelt chime, but the computer crashed while I was using Summon. A reboot, and a power down did not make the chime go away. Finally, I got out of the car and the chiming stopped.

Got an update only a few minutes ago here in Australia, but I only went from 2019.8.4 to 2019.8.5. I'm guessing .12 isn't being rolled out here yet. What's more is I got absolutely no new features whatsoever since we don't have NoA. The release notes just showed the previous release notes. So I guess it was rolled out here as a bugfix release, though we will be benefiting from the new Neural Network in this release.
Should have gotten the new “improved” NN even if you don’t have NoA yet.

Reactions: PaulJohn
75D AP2 MCU1 2019.8.5

Sunday 4/6 completed first leg of my 6 day 1500 mile golf road trip. Left Sunday afternoon on 6 hr. NoA drive to Nashville. Best yet by far. Zero phantom breaking, zero aborted lane changes. Lane changes without confirmation was flawless. Sure there where a couple of times when I would have moved out of the passing lane sooner but probably would have felt the same if you were driving. I did cancel a couple of changes out of the passing lane because I could see it was going to almost immediately then pass the car ahead.
After a round of golf Monday morning we're off to Atlanta. My brother in law was extremely impressed with the decisions NoA made and how smoothly it executed. Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to have him drive to Atlanta so I have the perspective of a passenger.

Monday 4/7 Rain, rain, rain so no golf. Drove instead to Atlanta mostly in the rain. Once again NoA worked and worked very well. On several occasions NoA displayed the weather notice and disingaged but continued with autosteer. When weather improved NoA turned itself back on. I'm at the point now where I'll be reluctant to install next release in fear of a step back.
Tomorrow hopefully golf in the morning and then 2 hrs to Augusta.