Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
before exiting the brand, I would give the UI group another chance (or give them this chance; if this is just a WIP snapshot).

if there IS customizable parts coming, that's going to be game-changing. if they do it right and strike a good balance of vendor-static and user-movable parts.

I'd give them a chance. personally, I'm expecting lots of trials from them before they settle on the new 'final' screen layout.

(my background: I first did gui work in something called DECwindows. maybe some of you heard of that. if so, you are welcome on my lawn.)

anyway.... TESLA: if you want to score a 10/10, please follow the 'form and function' UI paradigm. the back-end are the body of callbacks (functions) and the front-end is the user-placed set of interface elements, and the cross-connect (we call it 'binding') is in the middle.

provide a few sample 'standard' layouts. we clone one, we go into user-edit mode, we see things in a tree and in a wysiwyg region, we select elements, we change their size (causing others to shrink down, in that same parent region), we can remove the ones that we're allowed to remove, we can color or font-change what we're allowed to, etc. we save it under a name, and that's now like one of the vendor-supplied layouts, but its in italics and it means its 'one of ours'.

something like that, tesla. come on, you have more than enough people working there. if not, hire more. come on. get with it!

this is not rocke-. uhhh. I'll stop there.

Definitely agree with this one. Those tiny text bubbles are impossible to read in a moving car - and I have perfect vision. They should be much larger and there ought to be an option to have verbal warnings as well if it's a safety issue. When the car is driving, I've got my attention on the road, not on the screen.
Of course you are correct, but Tesla's priorities are inane nonsense like more games with the excuse to prepare for its 5+ year old vaporware (aka FSD), for which people paid thousands, and will likely never see.

Two really big problems with UI old or new format (IMHO):
1) Warning messages should be in much larger font and stay on the screen longer. This is a real safety issue to me.

2) Blind spot detection and warnings - same, a big safety issue for me in my 3. There is a blind spot and I can't always depend on UI, and mirror settings to warn me when I'm looking for traffic to my right on the freeway.. As was previously mentioned, many other 'not so smart' cars already have this. Why is it taking Tesla so long to implement????

Right on Bro!!

That has always been a problem. Besides being too small, it's gone before I can read it!!! I am busy watching the road ahead!

Should be spoked loudly since it could be important.

the "grey letters" for gear shift are way to lite....they need to be a darker color....something you can see at a glance.....also the battery color should still retain the green, yellow and red colors.....we are in out early 70's, not mid 20's

ALSO, The Manual! Why is it tiny light gray on white text and NOT adjustable
size? It's a 16 inch screen for god's sake!

before exiting the brand, I would give the UI group another chance (or give them this chance; if this is just a WIP snapshot).

if there IS customizable parts coming, that's going to be game-changing. if they do it right and strike a good balance of vendor-static and user-movable parts.

I'd give them a chance. personally, I'm expecting lots of trials from them before they settle on the new 'final' screen layout.

(my background: I first did gui work in something called DECwindows. maybe some of you heard of that. if so, you are welcome on my lawn.)

anyway.... TESLA: if you want to score a 10/10, please follow the 'form and function' UI paradigm. the back-end are the body of callbacks (functions) and the front-end is the user-placed set of interface elements, and the cross-connect (we call it 'binding') is in the middle.

provide a few sample 'standard' layouts. we clone one, we go into user-edit mode, we see things in a tree and in a wysiwyg region, we select elements, we change their size (causing others to shrink down, in that same parent region), we can remove the ones that we're allowed to remove, we can color or font-change what we're allowed to, etc. we save it under a name, and that's now like one of the vendor-supplied layouts, but its in italics and it means its 'one of ours'.

something like that, tesla. come on, you have more than enough people working there. if not, hire more. come on. get with it!

this is not rocke-. uhhh. I'll stop there.

Thanks for taking the time to write down what I have been thinking for a while. I was a computer scientist and GUI programmer for 30+ years. Granted it was on Windows using C# but what it really takes is the ability to know what the user needs. Then keep it simple, informative, intuitive and easily readable.

We can only hope and keep pushing...:)

ALSO, The Manual! Why is it tiny light gray on white text

Because that's the latest "in thing" with Silicon Valley WEB designers. You can find this all over the web these days.

It's to the point of "WTAF are these people thinking???"

This is the problem: designers with great eyesight, monitors, and viewing conditions who fail to do usability testing.

It has me right-clicking in the browser, clicking Inspect, and adjusting the page colors -- not to mention deleting the damn animated ads. But this isn't available in the car, not even Zoom in.

but Tesla's priorities are inane nonsense like more games

I edited out the source of the quote above because it's not my intention to call them out specifically. I see this sentiment a lot. I have no proof of this, I do not work for Tesla, but I am a software engineer, and I ask that you consider the following:

It's an almost certainty that the people bringing you games are not in any way, shape, or form associated with the people working on FSD. It is also equally certain that the development times for these two flavors of work are WILDLY different. You are seeing more progress on the "fun" stuff simply because it is easier and faster than FSD work. That team is able to iterate faster and so you see their output most often. There is no world where musk is sitting in a room full of programmers, constantly jabbing at a chalkboard that says "MORE GAMES AND FARTS". Taking folks off the solitaire project isn't going to get you FSD any faster, because the people bringing you solitaire are not FSD programmers. Completely different skill sets. The speed at which you can dig ditches scales linearly with the amount of people digging. They aren't digging ditches.

Guidance on the only way that I have found to send feedback. Open a service request in the APP. Ask for a firmware rollback for safety reasons. You will end up having a service message chat within the APP, that gets you no where, they are not going to do it, but at least there is a record of your complaint, and you can ask them to record it as an unresolved issue and submit a “feature request”.

Too easy, and hopefully slightly better then just going unheard. I wonder how many layers of management EM has of like minded sycophants, between the complaint department, and the person who tells him everybody loves the new look that he approved. Thats the way it works in my 30,000 employee corporation.

Last edited:
Gadzooks! I posted last week that I just got the update on my M3 and it's is as dreadful everyone described. And now just today, I woke up to the update on my MS and it too is awful - There are two screens on the S, why reduce the fonts on BOTH of them!?!?!?!
The font reduction on the speedo screen is especially egregious - other than stomping on the accelerator and seeing which direction the car travels in, I have know way of knowing what gear I'm in that font is so small!!
What's more, I don't have any form of autopilot on my S, so reducing font size to free up real-estate for "visualizations" is completely lost on me.

Last edited:
Version 2020.48.26 reduced the font size by about 40% and moved the PRND indicator to the left side of the display in the Model S. I saw on another forum that Musk suggested an update that will allow a user to configure the lay out and font size. Hope that's accurate.