Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, it's not that bad. Even with the smaller screen area for the backup camera, it's still as big if not bigger than the rear view camera display of other OEMs (with the exception of maybe the new Ram with 12.1" vertical display). Also, Elon tweeted in the last couple of days that they're going to allow for user selection of screen layout in a future update, so you can prioritize what takes up the screen. I do feel like this update was rushed out just so Tesla could say that they delivered something for the holidays, but any grievances should hopefully be rectified quickly. Remember that Tesla will be pushing a Part II update within the next couple of weeks.

Tesla’s success is currently limited by Musk’s arrogance. He pushes for absolutely moronic changes to things like the UI without any design consideration from long running design experts from the auto industry. The white dash trim is an example of blatant idiocy because industry experts all called out how blinding that is in many light conditions, but Musk insisted. He’s surely responsible for the terrible accessibility problems this update introduces. It’s also a clear indication that Musk is beginning to hold the company back because he is clearly the one putting focus on adding stupid features like Boombox and further iterating on the childish Emissions Test bullshit. He has no self control to put actual experts in charge of UX changes.

I agree that they spend too much time on games and gimmick features. I think the main impetus for adding the custom sounds and emissions test mode out of the external speaker was to appease everyone who didn't like the mandatory noise.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Reducing the size of the backup camera is the opposite of a Christmas present. Perhaps Tesla thinks we were all naughty this year.

If they really want the huge avatar, make it an option, perhaps have the dividing line dragable. So you can have the avatar fill the screen, the map fill the screen, or anything in-between. And one setting for forward, and another for reverse. I don't care that the map is smaller if they are adding additional info on the avatar to justify devoting more space to it, but I want the backup camera as big as possible.

Tesla is readying us for FSD while driving in reverse, thus reducing the need for the side and rear camera view sizes. Which is obvious given the increased screen real estate for the currently useless driving visualization view.

Seriously, I can't understand why Tesla didn't just implement having the side cameras take up the full screen view when signaling to change lanes, to make up for the lack of basic blind spot monitoring. Instead, they make the camera views smaller.

This is what happens when you have a geek with no real life experience running your programming department.

Seriously, I can't understand why Tesla didn't just implement having the side cameras take up the full screen view when signaling to change lanes, to make up for the lack of basic blind spot monitoring. Instead, they make the camera views smaller.

This is what happens when you have a geek with no real life experience running your programming department.

100% agree. I'll take an emphasis on adding safety features over games any day.

There will be a Part II update. Per his tweets, the team didn't have enough time to compile all new features into the 48.26 build. I do think that they should have prioritized repeater camera view on turn signal activation over the games for this part I update.
Is part two going to un-do all the awful UX/UI changes they introduced?

They really need to stop prioritizing games and graphics of the vehicle in park over functional enhancements. This is getting ridiculous.

Is part two going to un-do all the awful UX/UI changes they introduced?

They really need to stop prioritizing games and graphics of the vehicle in park over functional enhancements. This is getting ridiculous.

Unlikely that it will undo all the changes, but I'm sure they will tweak it based on customer feedback. As someone in another thread mentioned, I believe the impetus for making the visualization larger is the future implementation of FSD. Exactly what level of FSD or when it will be implemented remains to be seen.

Wow. Who let this one out the door?

Elon said it was going to be “fire”. Did he mean dumpster fire?

I'm behind you 100% as the Tesla UI 'designed' by 20-somethings continues to go downhill (and I use the term 'designed' very loosely!). Since I haven't updated yet (I never update until I have to), can you post some photos of the new IC design with the smaller fonts? Is it the same for AP1 cars? Thanks.

I don't like the reduced map and camera views, but what I find most annoying is that, when holding the steering wheel, you completely block the view of the relocated warning indicators with your arm. Also, not having an external speaker on my Model 3, I don't miss Boombox at all.

I like the new games, though.

I don't like the reduced map and camera views, but what I find most annoying is that, when holding the steering wheel, you completely block the view of the relocated warning indicators with your arm. Also, not having an external speaker on my Model 3, I don't miss Boombox at all.

I like the new games, though.

Agreed on all points except the games. Not even going to bother with those, waste of time and storage.

My gut feeling is that the people doing UI design at Tesla don't have any experience in human factors engineering for vehicles or mechanical systems, and come from more generic UI backgrounds. For a website, playing "F around and see what works" isn't dangerous.

For a car, it's incredibly important to get it right. ESPECIALLY cars with a dearth of physical controls as fallbacks.