Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
old interface had a lot of gaps

Yes. The MS IC had unused space but everything even and visible.

saying you can't see the speed number is ridiculous.

That's not the case for me, but I really can see easily in my peripheral vision.

I'm sure there are (we're?) standards (at least in UK / Europe) governing location, distance and labeling of controls.

Completely underwhelming update. Made fonts harder to read and added games I’ll likely never play. Wish they’d stop worrying about stupid crap like games and fart noises and spend more time adding features people actually care about (waypoints, 360 degree view, side view camera with turn signal, rain sensing wipers that work, etc).

You said exactly what I was thinking! Also, I really wish there was a way to rollback this update to a previous version.

LOL, the trash talk is strong with a few here. :) And so many expert UI/UX designers! Elon will surely leap to adapt your brilliant, if a wee bit caustic summation of his team's work. If you wanted static design, glacial innovation, and value companies lacking in a sense of humor, perhaps Tesla was not the choice for you. And lets not forget about the amateur phycologists you get to spend hours with at the GM/LandRover/Mercedes/pick-your-dealership when you buy any other car. Such Joy!

For my own humble observation, I like having the warning lights along the left margin. I do feel that the font's are too small for a display that is away from the center of my attention. Larger fonts suit my peripheral vision and will be caught and processed via an optical saccade more easily. I also like the notion of a more modal UI that dominates the screen real estate with very concise information for the brief period where I must interact with a function (navigation, camera, music/audio, lights, mirrors, HVAC) while driving. I also feel that the battery charge indicator was easier to find and interpret when it was larger and In color. Also, I think the notion of the turn-signal camera focus is brilliant.

IMHO, 2020.48.26 is a holiday gift. There are things to like and things to not like. But if you're truly wracked with angst over this latest update, rest easy. It is software. It will continue to evolve and improve.

This has to be a FAIL, or at least a C-.
I wish I’d held off for as long as possible.

I’m 66, my wife is 64, and we both hate it. The fonts are too small, speed is much harder to read, other things including (but not limited to) PNDR are harder to read. (My wife uses “creep” for safety ... although she doesn’t like it, because she can’t read which gear she’s in- and now it’s even worse.)

And we’ve now lost our brilliant big reversing camera replaced with a smaller version.
This wasn’t progress, it’s a backward step.
Does the car have games? (Yeah I’m joking. Never played one.)

Yes I still remember how my eyes were when I was 20 something- no significant difference with distance vision, but up close- very, very different.

Please team Elon give us the ability to change fonts, and screen window layouts and window size.
I’d switch back to the old right now if I could.

Cheers

You said exactly what I was thinking! Also, I really wish there was a way to rollback this update to a previous version.

I have never understood why the games? If they want to spend time working on the software the engineers should give us something useful. I really am disappointed that the model S does not have Traffic Aware Cruise Control as a standard feature. A Toyota Corolla has it! I also found the update disappointing. The smaller fonts on the Dash are really too small for anyone with near sight issues as us aging people do. I can read the gear selection and the battery percentage OK but I know my wife will have problems . The brake light indication on the dash has become less readable. I love my MS but sometimes I wonder who is designing that software. Hopefully there are some hidden upgrades such as motor and battery efficiency tweeks.

Reactions: lardog
I'm not trying to minimize the real issues others might be having - but it is hardly universal. I also wonder whether its the change in position (combined with reduction in size) that is making it more difficult to read - because we are so used to seeing the speed at a particular place. One more thing - I use AP a lot - and as such pay attention to the AP speed limit. That font size is smaller than the speed font - I'd like that to be bigger - probably same as the speed font.

That’s the worst thing to do. It makes it harder to distinguish the speed at a quick glance.

I was excited to get Christmas update, and now I feel the Grinch stole it and left some junk in its place.

1. when will Tesla accurately portray their blue color? Always lighter than real thing.
2. I miss my map! Looks so tiny now and a huge area of white.
3. I liked the color power indicator. Why grey it out?

After reading these posts, I realize that Tesla regards me as a second class citizen because I don’t have FSD (only EAP). Updates like these will continue to enhance the FSD experience while diluting it for those of us smart enough not to bite on far from finished technology. Bummer.

Reactions: timp123 and M3-Ita