Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have three thoughts on the UI change -

1. It looks like they moved everything so that there was more vertical area. Before, stoplights started being presented in back of other information. Now they don't.

2. If you have trouble reading the speed, you either need glasses, or probably shouldn't be driving in the first place because you're close to legally blind. All the other information is superfluous when you're moving.

3. They'll never please everyone.

People like this guy shouldn't be allowed to post on the internet. Smh

2. If you have trouble reading the speed, you either need glasses, or probably shouldn't be driving in the first place because you're close to legally blind.
1. You have no understanding how human vision works.
2. You have no idea of the definition of legal blindness. Look it up!
3. My guess is you are in your 40s or younger.

This "Christmas Present" is a lump of coal! I drove some distance on the freeway today and trying to read the foolhardy tiny speed and other info was really dangerous. cRaZy! THEN......alarms go off. OMGosh what is happening??????? Will I die in a fiery crash????? Search the screen for an answer! No......do not see WHY dongs are dinging. Then.....after weaving and braking and squinting at the screen I see a teeny tiny tire way up in the right-hand corner barely discernable ...with an exclaim mark. I hit the car info spot on the wheel and.....the cold weather had gotten two tires below 40 pounds. Driving a bit farther warmed the tires up and the crisis averted. But my point is that along with the standard info that is too small to read.....ALARM info may be too small to find as this one was. This new design, in technical terms. (sorry for the techie jargon) ... SUCKS EGGS!! BAH.

I don't hate the changes that I see on my model S, but I'm certainly not a fan. Common conjecture seems to be that the re-configuring is to allow more/better FSD visualization. Why does the driver need this? For true FSD the car needs it for sure, but as the driver I need to know what the car is doing, not what it sees. Why distract me with an HD rendering of what the car thinks it sees? I should be looking at the real world for stop lights the car isn't stopping for, vehicles that the car isn't reacting to,... not looking at my display and thinking "this is so cool." I want easy to see and interpret real world information relevant to safe driving not a bigger, more detailed video distraction. It seems the people designing the UI don't like to drive, don't want to know what is going on and simply want to rely on the car doing all the work. Misguided approach.

I have a Model 3 and recently got 2020.48.26. I am really disappointed by this update... actually the first update that I didn't like. Making the fonts smaller, map and backup camera smaller... just to widen the left pane is a huge setback and disappointment. Why have such a big screen? I hope that this is configurable in the future (like dragging the left pane smaller to minimize). I wish I could uninstall this update. I tweeted for the first time to see if Elon or Tesla would reply. I think there are many that don't like this update at all.

Reactions: DaveG_NJ and rmh9
I have three thoughts on the UI change -

1. It looks like they moved everything so that there was more vertical area. Before, stoplights started being presented in back of other information. Now they don't.

2. If you have trouble reading the speed, you either need glasses, or probably shouldn't be driving in the first place because you're close to legally blind. All the other information is superfluous when you're moving.

3. They'll never please everyone.

Finally, someone who's sensible.

The update to the driver-side screen has not only moved the drive/reverse/park indicator but has reduced the size of the fonts for all of the text displayed on this screen. No, they're not easier to read. I chatted with support and no, there is no way to increase these fonts for those of us who have trouble reading small type.

Is there a way to get these issues escalated?
It didn't remove the 'gear' display,just made it very small and difficult to see.

Yes, they made unnecessary font size reductions. They have screen space to increase font sizes without reorganizing the UI, so a relatively easy fix

This is the general BS from young software designers using huge monitors at their desks. Trying to make things look nice by using smaller an thinner fonts and low contrast “50 shades of grey” instead of colors.
These guys probably don’t know better, but the boss should check! A car’s UI should be clear to read in a glance for all drivers, not just look good on a mega screen on your desk.
Glad I read this before updating!

As an FYI, has anyone been watching the FSD beta videos carefully? Notice that in beta 8, the speedometer digits are bigger, and the split between the left/right portions of the screen (on Model 3) is variable depending on the driving mode.

I'm going to guess that these are newer builds than the one we are seeing in the holiday release, and with luck we will see the UI align with what we are seeing in the FSD beta.

I'm a grown-up who likes gimmicky non-sense AND had 70-100k to spend on a car. What's your point? :)

You don't understand my point?

If I understand yours: There are plenty enough people who want to spend 70+k on a car that seems to consider itself a competitor to Sony Playstation rather than Porsche (I understand that cars like the Taycan are very different from MS, with a different price point. No need to comment). Maybe that is the case.

Alternatively, maybe that segment, which accounts for less than ten percent of Tesla sales, can be ceded to Lucid, Porsche, Auidi, or whoever wants to take what Tesla has started to the next level: a better car, and not a video game with fart sounds on wheels.

Of course the two are not mutually exclusive. Tesla could introduce "fun" features AND serious improvements...but they haven't. Perhaps the next few months will tell a different story.

Last edited:
You don't understand my point?

If I understand yours: There are plenty enough people who want to spend 70+k on a car that seems to consider itself a competitor to Sony Playstation rather than Porsche (I understand that cars like the Taycan are very different from MS, with a different price point. No need to comment). Maybe that is the case.

Alternatively, maybe that segment, which accounts for less than ten percent of Tesla sales, can be ceded to Lucid, Porsche, Auidi, or whoever wants to take what Tesla has started to the next level: a better car, and not a video game with fart sounds on wheels.

Of course the two are not mutually exclusive. Tesla could introduce "fun" features AND serious improvements...but they haven't. Perhaps the next few months will tell a different story.
Since 2018 - (it is now 2020 for those who have lost track of linear time since the beginning of the year):

raven refresh and multiple efficiency improvements to x/s

Launched model 3 and ramped production to scale

Launched another brand new model (Y)

refresh with mechanical
/equipment updates for Model 3 (heat pump, battery capacity with attendant range increase, etc)

Model 3 is pretty well regarded as a serious performance machine by enthusiasts, I have multiple friends and acquaintances competing in them and enjoying the hell out of it. Small sedan plus big power and good handling with the driven wheels in the right place, it’s a seriously winning formula.

but I agree they’re really loafing on the serious bits

Last edited: