Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time Elon says "we need a UI overhaul" I start to shudder and shake...

...since that means it's only going to get worse.

He doesn't need a UI overhaul, he needs an entire UI dev team overhaul, including real testing, in real cars, with real users providing real feedback. Then they need to actually listen to that feedback.

We've been saying this for years but it falls on deaf ears-- the UI for a car is not the same UI for a website or mobile device. But that's what they're doing. And it's completely the wrong approach. I have zero confidence that they'll ever get it right. Which is very sad indeed.

He doesn't need a UI overhaul, he needs an entire UI dev team overhaul, including real testing, in real cars, with real users providing real feedback. Then they need to actually listen to that feedback.
Musk is penny pinching due to his poor management style, so here's a cheap way to improve the UI:
Bring back V8, or V7, or V6. All were significantly better than what we have now or in the last few years.

The faux analog speedometer was really an elegant design. And what replaced it? A pointless car icon that provides no useful information unless the windshield is blacked out.

I happen to have a loaner X on 48.12 today. It looks very much like the difference between a new and old iOS - you get used to the new one and the old one looks like yesterday.

I also wonder if the free space will allow them to eventually bring back some virtual dials. Glass cockpit style with big round altimeter/attitude/horizon ball and a needle or two would be nice

the Germans have the virtual dials baked into their IP’s and it’s better than no dial. It’s not better than steam gauges, but, alas, progress has made them too expensive and not flash enough

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer
I think they should offer multiple layouts (and font sizes) and let the user choose. If you, for whatever reason, are not interested in driving visualizations you should be able to select a smaller size and use that space for map or cameras. They could even make the vertical line that divides the two areas draggable, for the ultimate user configurability. That should be not too difficult to do as long as the UI elements are scalable...
Great idea! Just like in a Ford, or GM or Chrysler, or Honda, or oops, I forgot. NOBODY ever checks the speedometer font when making a decision to purchase a car! That should be higher on the required list than panel gaps.

• Disagree
Reactions: rmh9
Another example of obvious UI design flaws that weren't identified by Tesla's internal reviews or small hand-packed group of external beta testers.

This happened several years ago with another "UI improvement" when they removed the clock from one of the displays and the first letter scroll bar from the media player - both "improvements" were fixed based on overwhelming customer complaints and the same will likely be the case this time.

Obvious flaws like this should have been caught before Tesla distributed the release - and can raise questions about how thoroughly they're actually testing software before release.

If poor UI design features make it into official releases - does that inspire confidence in Tesla's ability to release FSD software without obvious problems???

Every time Elon says "we need a UI overhaul" I start to shudder and shake...

...since that means it's only going to get worse.

We've been saying this for years but it falls on deaf ears-- the UI for a car is not the same UI for a website or mobile device. But that's what they're doing. And it's completely the wrong approach. I have zero confidence that they'll ever get it right. Which is very sad indeed.
I think it is, or was I should say, not so bad but I agree the UI designers have no clue what they are doing and apparently nobody told them it is meant for cars.. it is clearly a trend to make it look nice and clean by using small thin fonts and low contrast colors/shades.
I would be happy to give up this useless big car with lights etc. in the middle...

Reactions: rmh9
Musk is penny pinching due to his poor management style, so here's a cheap way to improve the UI:
Bring back V8, or V7, or V6. All were significantly better than what we have now or in the last few years.

The faux analog speedometer was really an elegant design. And what replaced it? A pointless car icon that provides no useful information unless the windshield is blacked out.
Version 7.1 right before the nags was the sweet spot for me. AP1 worked great, and the UI was no-nonsense and responsive and well-organized. I really miss that.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Maybe we missed the latest update from EM.. "Car's taken delivery by 12/31/2020 will include Tesla reading glasses"

Seriously, there is a good chance all of this will be fixed and be a distant memory. However, it seems to me, Tesla are too focused on FSD and gadgets, imho. Don't get me wrong, I played the fart sounds 2 or 3 times when I first got the car. I do love the updates and evolution of the car, but change for change sake is a mistake. Can't help but think EM is a little too involved in each update. As others have stated, "why do we need more space for the car's view if the car is doing the driving? I still love the car, but I do drive it and I will never ever pay $10k, $12k, $14k for FSD. Would I rent it for a week/month, maybe!

Text bug post update

The last text I sent from was stuck on the right side of the cluster and could not be released, steering wheel right roller not scrolling in text through it would scroll through menu. This lasted despite anything I did till I get the next text hours later, once the next text appeared it released the old one and all is working well since.

I cannot recreate the bug but wonder if anyone else ran into it.

--Ami