Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an almost certainty that the people bringing you games are not in any way, shape, or form associated with the people working on FSD. It is also equally certain that the development times for these two flavors of work are WILDLY different. You are seeing more progress on the "fun" stuff simply because it is easier and faster than FSD work.

Hmm. These things aren't unconnected. The turn signal is connected to the fart app. The FSD visualization is connected to the rainbow road and the window positions. In safety critical systems, even the "fun" stuff has an impact, even if it doesn't introduce bugs, doesn't distract the driver, and doesn't add to the driver's cognitive and perceptual load.

Engineers, designers, and QA working on the games could do UI review of the rushed layout that moved safety indicators behind the driver's hand (Model 3) and made text harder to read. Both teams could help with usability testing and screen layout implementation before pushing out a release.

Engineers and designers working on the fun stuff are capable of adding safety features like displaying the side camera (instead of the fart) when the turn signal is on. Or features that aid the driver like displaying the battery charge % AND miles at the same time. Or often-requested features like displaying the album cover. Or high speed playback in the sentry-cam view. Or fill out the voice commands (e.g. a way to turn the A/C on/off without side effects) and document them all. (I'm not having a lot of success using voice commands with climate controls, phone calls, or USB audio playback.)

Management and release control have work to do for new fun stuff. I'd rather they put the time into driving features.

Blind spot detection is comparable to ending world poverty? Many other car manufacturers have already implemented this, I can't imagine it would be a big challenge for Tesla.

Well, the only way you can end world poverty is by getting rid of all the people who use their positions as head of state to enrich themselves at the expense of the people, and the only way you can fully eliminate all risk associated with blind spots is by getting rid of the meatbags behind the wheel, so there are some parallels. :D

We sort of do already, for the left and right widget selection.

And the chevron button that discloses a giant pile of buttons that won't fit across the bottom of the the Model S/X screen. It's basically a pull-down menu, but sideways.

Obvious flaws like this should have been caught before Tesla distributed the release - and can raise questions about how thoroughly they're actually testing software before release.

Test? :D

FWIW, I just got 2020.48.12.1 a couple of days ago. Maybe you're the beta testers. ;)

But seriously, never in my life have I been more glad to have been in a location with barely any Wi-Fi signal outdoors for the last two months. :(

Hey Elon...... a 'state of the art' UI is also UC (User Configurable) !!!

A better approach is a fully skinnable UI. Let third-party developers design their own skins, load them via a thumb drive or OTA, and let every Tesla be its own unique snowflake. :D

It seems that using the web browser tends to crash the software. Happened to me twice last week.

As an MCU 1 user for whom the web browser hasn't worked at all since roughly October or November of 2018, you know what that means, right? MCU 3 is coming soon. o_O:D

Reactions: Geezer_MS100
Hmm. These things aren't unconnected. The turn signal is connected to the fart app. The FSD visualization is connected to the rainbow road and the window positions. In safety critical systems, even the "fun" stuff has an impact, even if it doesn't introduce bugs, doesn't distract the driver, and doesn't add to the driver's cognitive and perceptual load.

Engineers, designers, and QA working on the games could do UI review of the rushed layout that moved safety indicators behind the driver's hand (Model 3) and made text harder to read. Both teams could help with usability testing and screen layout implementation before pushing out a release.

Engineers and designers working on the fun stuff are capable of adding safety features like displaying the side camera (instead of the fart) when the turn signal is on. Or features that aid the driver like displaying the battery charge % AND miles at the same time. Or often-requested features like displaying the album cover. Or high speed playback in the sentry-cam view. Or fill out the voice commands (e.g. a way to turn the A/C on/off without side effects) and document them all. (I'm not having a lot of success using voice commands with climate controls, phone calls, or USB audio playback.)

Management and release control have work to do for new fun stuff. I'd rather they put the time into driving features.
I wish I could "Love" this comment more than once.

There are so many knock-on effects of things like games, it's nigh impossible to think of them all.
-- Is QA, always stretched for time and resources everywhere, being further stretched?
-- Are code changes for games truly isolated? (Ron Howard voice: They were not.)
-- Who's verifying the copyright on those fart noises? We learned our lesson on the unicorn debacle.
-- Why are the people doing games always in the good conference room? Now we gotta use the one without the whiteboards.
-- Let the interns learn on the games, even though they aren't actually learning anything.
-- My issue tracker is clogged with games stuff that I have to sort through.
-- My email is clogged with games stuff that I have to sort through
-- My schedule is clogged with games stuff that I have to sort through.
-- That release meeting didn't even get through the games discussion before it ended.
-- And really, on and on.

At least, that's my universal experience as a developer in a lot of places and industries.

A better approach is a fully skinnable UI. Let third-party developers design their own skins, load them via a thumb drive or OTA, and let every Tesla be its own unique snowflake. :D

Just like the Apple App Store... ;)
That's the long-ago, fabled Tesla SDK. It was shelved and we got app mirroring instead. Only that was shelved, too.

After a few days of driving my Model 3 now with the update, I'm starting to.............hate it even more!! What a gong show. The UI reminds me of a bowl of alphabet soup with stuff haphazardly scattered around the perimeter of the (cool looking but now even more distracting) FSD preview section. I've "re-signaled" a few times now because I didn't see that right turn signal that's been cast out way off to the right by the map. It's as if someone was given a 2 hour deadline to rearrange everything and send it out without being checked. Geez...C'mon Tesla! I'd love to recommend the brand to everyone but with a disaster like this, I can't do it in good conscience. Hopefully I won't rear-end someone while struggling to see my single pixel tall energy meter that I used to watch peripherally. I have 20/20 vision so I can only imagine what it's like for many others. I sure hope we are not going be be handcuffed to this nonsense for long.

Not gonna happen when a micromanaging control freak runs the company.

its more than that. you'd have to allocate more manpower to ensure the security implications of importing ANY data files from users.

yes, even ascii files - who knows what buffer overflows or other bugs that could be triggered.

this is the reason why cars won't be 'open' to user mods. manpower needs to ensure the public API is safe and also its risk that the company just does not need to take.

Since last update (2020.48.26) the fonts are too small.
It still shows traffic lights, but since the update not if they are red, orange (yellow) or green. They’re all just grey. Does anyone else have the same problem?
The car often picks up the speed limit of the adjacent service road, while I’m driving on the main road. This is very annoying, because the main road can have a speed limit of 80 km/h and the service road sometimes of only 30 km/h. So the car - when on autopilot - sometimes slows down all of a sudden from 80 to 30 km/h, which is very dangerous. Still does this after the update.

Update. On 2020.48.30 now.
Traffic lights are back, but only for the lane you’re in. Funny enough, if you’re lane has two traffic lights (see picture) it still shows only one of them, in this case only the one on the right (red). The other one stays gray. Don’t see the logic. Other problems not solved yet.
7B34E087-9B7A-4565-9594-FAF21E284C63.jpeg

Reactions: CT3PO
Thought I would post the model 3 directly below the S/X display. Many posts here, we are all not seeing exactly the same thing. Looking at the grey screen back ground in the previous post, I think that the new stark white window on the 3, with the faintest grey font, is worse then the contrast in the previous post. Why the difference between Tesla models? Would like to see background colour skins, for contrast, at the very very least. The 3’s screen is actually closer to the eyes then the instrument cluster on a S model, or any other vehicle, for that matter. Ever seen an older person hold print at arms length, to read small print? 30cm(1 foot) further away, for presbyopic sufferers or those switching to inside view wearing distance only glasses, makes a huge difference. It sucks, to deal with eye issues. Contrast can overcome font size. I have added two pics of the previous model 3 UI. Note that at least it was previously black font on white. Plus note the previous indication of Park, vs. the current, one of many massive UI changes making my MANUAL city driving experience a chore. I get that this would work okay on the great open highway, with A/P engaged.

PS Congratulations EM on becoming the world’s richest man. Next tick, legacy for creating the world’s FSD car, man on Mars. Why would he care about this, to respond to those posting be patient, the screen only gets better?

PSS Customer service(phone), and maintenance service(App), don’t even acknowledge that it might be an issue for some.

28CF414E-9A7D-4EC9-91CB-0AF3C493B746.jpeg
2930F0C5-B847-48CD-8E21-560C6EDC6F36.png
BC119D97-04CB-48E8-B7A0-D598DF617402.png

Last edited:
And 15% of users stick with the previous software ( with the proper gui ) which is unheard of weeks after the release ...

Imagine that’s tens of thousands of people refusing the update each time they take their car

I hope they get the message but I don’t think they will
If all those people could open a new app service ticket each time ; that would help .

Last edited:
And 15% of users stick with the previous software ( with the proper gui ) which is unheard of weeks after the release ...

Imagine that’s tens of thousands of people refusing the update each time they take their car

I hope they get the message but I don’t think they will
If all those people could open a new app service ticket each time ; that would help .

Sh*t, that doesn't work..
After refusing the update for 2 weeks, it now updated without my consent...
And indeed, it is unbelievable how unpractical the screen has become now. Lots of space for a useless animated Tesla and the fonts are way too small to read in a glance. Furthermore, the high beam and other indicators have moved behind the steering wheel.
The releas notes are also in a nice tiny light grey font and cannot be enlarged anymore.
Lot of frustration over those useless UI designers!

Don't forget to disable wifi (well for you it seems to be too late)

As a side note it's been weeks since Elon tweeted to a Tesla customer, his focus has been on Spacex mostly (and who could blame him - that stuff is so cool)

On my side I got confirmation from tesla support (after opening an app ticket) that my feedback about their marvelous new UI was sent to engineering. Whether or not they say that so that I stop bothering them is of course debatable :) but at least, I did my job as a customer. I also did my job by taking an appointment at jaguar to take another look at the I-Pace, they are more than happy to buy my tesla, saying I'm not the only one this month trading his car cards for a regular key.

Last edited:
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
My multifocals fixed it.
I am yet to find any benefit to growing old.
Lots of them.
Nobody asks how can have this job when I’m so young,
Priority for COVID-19 vaccine,
Priority for airplane boarding and much more,
In my country, free drivers license renewals, free public transport, faster queuing for virtually everything, even public parking.
That’s it though. Even my beloved Tesla is full,of adolescent fantasy!
Oddly, I think we’re disproportionally important for TSLA.

Reactions: Geezer_MS100