Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

software update 2021.24.5 will not install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have model X long range plus 2020.
It has software version 2021.12.25.7

I havent been able to compete any software updates the last 3 attempts I get a message that an update is available.
the latest that I see is 2021.24.5.....always get message that software update has failed

anyone else with this issue?

rob

I havent been able to compete any software updates the last 3 attempts I get a message that an update is available.
the latest that I see is 2021.24.5.....always get message that software update has failed

rob
I have a 2020 Model X Long Range Plus, and I have been experiencing this very same issue for the past 2 weeks. I am currently on software version 2021.12.25.7, the software update version 2021.24.5 downloads fully, it then installs until 30% and then fails. This has happened about 5 times now. I am not sure why this keeps happening.

This happened to me as well, upgrading to 2021.24.4 from the prior version. At least 3 or 4 failed installs, after the install started and got about 30% complete. Every few days, the car would decide it was time to try again, and it would fail again. I've never had this problem before. Then, on the 5th or so try, it worked. I have no idea what changed or what the original cause of the failure was. Then a day or two later, 2021.24.5 was available, and it installed the first time as normal.

I went from 2021.4.18.2 to 2021.24.4 to 2021.24.5 all within 72 hours after 12v battery replacement. Try a hard reboot by changing your wheel size.
By hard reboot do you mean the scroll wheel/ left and right top steering wheel button reset, or pulling the 12v loop? And how would changing wheel size influence this issue? In changing the wheel size, do I switch away from your current wheel size and then back to it (since I didn't change the wheel size), or do you permanently change it away to a wheel size different than before, even if the new wheel size isn't the correct one?

At least other people have responded and stated they have a similar problem where it fails at 30% I tried the reboot with the wheel configuration, no luck once again failed install

Appointment with Tesla made after I contacted online support, they think it’s a hardware issue… Hopefully just a 12v battery but come on, battery needs to be changed after one year with only 11,000 miles?
Rob

rob
I am having this issue right now too. Very strange.

I was the same as you, 2 failed attempts before it loaded.

As a side note what kind of phone are you using for the App???? Not sure if that has anything to do with it but because the update loads fine for some and not for others just wondering what the commonalities might be. I have an Android and it took a lloonngg time to get the update.

By hard reboot do you mean the scroll wheel/ left and right top steering wheel button reset, or pulling the 12v loop? And how would changing wheel size influence this issue? In changing the wheel size, do I switch away from your current wheel size and then back to it (since I didn't change the wheel size), or do you permanently change it away to a wheel size different than before, even if the new wheel size isn't the correct one?
Yes, change wheel size, then change back. This appears to be a full system stop. It even appears to remove power from the usb plugs as well.

Im hearing lots of problems with newer X's, often 2020's, often involving an SD card. My 2016 doesn't have an SD cars and hasnt done anything too weird. It also went from 24.4 to 24.5 last night, no issues. In fact it went better: 24.4 did not display the 'release notes' in the center display after it finished, making me wonder if it installed correctly. 24.5 did display the release notes normally.

I can't tell if the prevalence of 2020s with problems is due to Bayesian 'prior probability' just because Tesla sold so many more cars in 2020 than earlier years or whether there's actually something going on with that generation of X

Im hearing lots of problems with newer X's, often 2020's, often involving an SD card. My 2016 doesn't have an SD
To the extent that newer models have SD cards, I think yours also does, actually. I think the memory module that is built onto the MCU1, the daughterboard memory module that can be added to MCU1, and the SD card are all different things. I was told at least once, and possibly twice, that my SD card was reformatted and/or repartitioned while I had MCU1 in my 2017 X. That having been said, I'm not fully convinced any of them have SD cards, I suspect this might be dumbed down language they are told to use to placate end users when there are on-board storage issues.

To the extent that newer models have SD cards, I think yours also does, actually. I think the memory module that is built onto the MCU1, the daughterboard memory module that can be added to MCU1, and the SD card are all different things. I was told at least once, and possibly twice, that my SD card was reformatted and/or repartitioned while I had MCU1 in my 2017 X. That having been said, I'm not fully convinced any of them have SD cards, I suspect this might be dumbed down language they are told to use to placate end users when there are on-board storage issues.
My 2019 MX has Sandisk SD card, no issues while installing the new update