Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

software update 2021.24.5 will not install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my appointment was in three weeks but I drove over to the service center as it’s only 10 minutes away. I’m very fortunate that that’s the case as opposed to stories that I’ve heard in other parts of the country where it could be one and a half hours to get to the service station.

When I got there I told him the problem and they were able to take the car today. The gentleman told me 90% of the time it has something to do with the SDcardAnd the firmware. When I picked up the car this evening it was fixed and he told me that they tried to reformat the SD card but unsuccessful so they replaced it and that solve the problem

i’m dictating so there may be typos. I also said hey dude what is going on I got the best car in the Tesla fleet… The model X fully loaded… He said because the model X has so many whistles and bells, it seems to have the most problems out of all the models. Not what I wanted to hear, I bought the ask because I thought it was the best. In a way I think it is Especially after driving the model S as a loaner today… Doesn’t compare to the X. But he smiled and he said it’s always the X, it’s always the X that has the most problems,

still I love the car. As for the post about the update being minor, it may not add stuff, but I’m under the impression that some bugs get fixed, such as auto pilot driving smoother etc

Anyway, apparently it was something simple… The SD card needing to be replaced or reformatted

Yes, change wheel size, then change back. This appears to be a full system stop. It even appears to remove power from the usb plugs as well.

I changed the wheel size away from my true wheel configuration, the car rebooted, then I changed back to my true wheel configuration and the car has rebooted again. I have now also unplugged my usb wire for the wireless charging pad AND my 12V power charger (i.e., cigarette lighter charger). I now just have to wait for the software up software to be pushed to my car again to see if this solution will work for me.

As for the discussion on the forum about SD cards, I actually had a mobile service tech come out last week, who swapped out my old Gateway SD card with a SanDisk SD card. This did not resolve the software update issue.

My 2019 MX has Sandisk SD card, no issues while installing the new update
It is possible you've been inside your dash and seen the SD Card. It is possible that you had a tech replace your SD card and he told you this. It is also possible that you are talking about an SD card connected to your USB for dashcam. That wouldn't be as relevant to this discussion (although it has presumably already been mentioned that removing all USB devices can make a difference in some cases, and you would be confirming some =/= all).
As for the discussion on the forum about SD cards, I actually had a mobile service tech come out last week, who swapped out my old Gateway SD card with a SanDisk SD card. This did not resolve the software update issue.
For clarification's sake, when you say "Gateway" do you mean the brand, or do you mean the SD card is in the gateway (I think that's the component that a wheel change reboots but a scroll wheel reboot doesn't)? If the latter, then my doubt about an SD card existing goes away, because the component between the MCU and the CAN having an SD card seems completely rational, and I'm not sure a tech has ever said "in the MCU" to begin with (vs commenters just assuming as much).

20210909_170301.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mxnym
It is possible you've been inside your dash and seen the SD Card. It is possible that you had a tech replace your SD card and he told you this. It is also possible that you are talking about an SD card connected to your USB for dashcam. That wouldn't be as relevant to this discussion (although it has presumably already been mentioned that removing all USB devices can make a difference in some cases, and you would be confirming some =/= all).

For clarification's sake, when you say "Gateway" do you mean the brand, or do you mean the SD card is in the gateway (I think that's the component that a wheel change reboots but a scroll wheel reboot doesn't)? If the latter, then my doubt about an SD card existing goes away, because the component between the MCU and the CAN having an SD card seems completely rational, and I'm not sure a tech has ever said "in the MCU" to begin with (vs commenters just assuming as much).
Thanks so much for your clarifying questions, I really appreciate it. In regard to the SD card, as for whether the mobile Tech was using "Gateway" as a reference to the brand of SD card or as a reference to the location of it in the Tesla multiple computer setup, I am not sure. Given my relatively lay understanding of the computer setup of Teslas in general, I confess that I assumed, with suspicion, that "Gateway" was being used to refer to the brand of SD card. But I was not fully committed to this assumption.

After having taken the advice to change back the wheel configuration, AND disconnect all USB devices (including the USB cable that powers the cell phone charging pad, and also including disconnecting the cigarette lighter charger that I had connected), I have yet to receive the software update re-push to see if these proposed remedies have resolved my issue.. I will update once I have received and installed the re-push of 2021.24.5.

Reactions: mxnym
Thanks so much for your clarifying questions, I really appreciate it. In regard to the SD card, as for whether the mobile Tech was using "Gateway" as a reference to the brand of SD card or as a reference to the location of it in the Tesla multiple computer setup, I am not sure. Given my relatively lay understanding of the computer setup of Teslas in general, I confess that I assumed, with suspicion, that "Gateway" was being used to refer to the brand of SD card. But I was not fully committed to this assumption.

After having taken the advice to change back the wheel configuration, AND disconnect all USB devices (including the USB cable that powers the cell phone charging pad, and also including disconnecting the cigarette lighter charger that I had connected), I have yet to receive the software update re-push to see if these proposed remedies have resolved my issue.. I will update once I have received and installed the re-push of 2021.24.5.
Update: software update installation to version 2021.24.5 failed again. Will need to contact service again.

2020 model x....screen dead after software failure...have service appointment on 9/15/21...car driveable but nothing else
Me too 3 days ago. Scheduled tow service for next day and in the morning b4 tow, the screen came back on. I have 24.4 and 24.5 failure to load multiple times before this happened. Double scroll wheel reset sent into black mode prior to this partial recovery. Now drivable, screen is working, but radio, Bluetooth, and other entertainment functions are not. hoping next software will load successfully and fix.
- Model X 2020

Same thing happened to me a few weeks back. 2021.12.25.7 messed everything up for me. Things got progressively worse and worse. I was on it for about 3 weeks and then suddenly I had a software update notification and the version that was being offered was the same version I already had installed. I just ignored it hoping that 2021.24.x.x would drop but I didn't make it that far. The car eventually started acting up resulting in me doing a scroll wheel reboot while parked in the garage. The car never came back to life and the AC was on all night long. Woke up to a burning hot garage. Tesla came and towed it away the following day. I was not able to get it in gear but the tow truck driver placed a jump box on the battery and was able to get it in gear this way, thankfully.

Tesla had my car from Wednesday through Monday while I was in a Model S loaner. They ended up reformatting the SD card and pushed 2021.24.4 and when I got home, I had a software update notification for 2021.24.4.5, which I was hesitant to install but eventually did.

I still get Park Assist warnings once in a while, not nearly as many as I did when I was on 2021.12.25.7. Homelink works better now but still not 100%.

No more software updates for me until I'm comfortable with the amount of issues reported. Seems as though the the 2020/2021 models are the only ones having this SD card issue. I have a 2021 (December 2020 build).

DD6AC889-2D6D-4F95-938B-5CEDA2C00C5A_1_105_c.jpeg

Guys, pretty much the same situation here. A month ago I had dead car because of the failed SD card. Now again I can see black dash when I open the door, like that day. Besides I constantly see "park assist unavailable" message and my Homelink works once in a while. I contacted Tesla about all these issues...
I drive MX 2020 LR+

Yes, change wheel size, then change back. This appears to be a full system stop. It even appears to remove power from the usb plugs as well.
Update on the software update failure/ screens blacking out issue. The mobile service tech that was supposed to come out said it would be better to bring the car into the service center because he would just be duplicating the SD card swapout and he thought this was likely not to be the problem twice in a row, so I did. The service center techs in the end deemed it necessary to entirely change out the entire MCU (leaving the original instrument control panel monitor above the steering wheel in place). Needless to say, the car updated to 2021.24.5, and subsequently updated to 2021.32.21 yesterday. This MCU swapout appears to have resolved the issue. It was frustrating to go through a 5-week runaround to finally diagnose and treat the underlying issue, but now that all cars are increasingly relying on computerization, these IT-style troubleshooting episodes for various cars from time to time will increasingly become the case, I think.

I'm having the same issue with my 2020 MX, 7200 miles. Update failed starting about a 4 days ago. Other problems are popping up. Three times now, I've not been able to get the car into drive. Stuck in the "Car is off". Different key wouldn't work, app wouldn't work. Resetting caused GPS to say I was located at Tesla HQ in Palo Alto, when I was actually in Phoenix. Also get warnings about parking assist unavailable, air compressor disabled, can't tune radio stations. I also have had issues having to press the door open multiple times on the screen after I go into park for the doors to open. When I couldn't get the car to go into drive, it would temporarily toggle tow mode on and off when I tried to go into gear.

Service can't get me in until Oct 25th, so I'm hoping it doesn't leave me stranded again before then.

My MX 2019 did not have this issue. From all the posts I read so far, looks like 2020 & 2021 cars are having the SD card in the MCU issue. The SD card in the MCU stores Maps data so that is one reason why it is not locating your location as it may have got corrupted.