Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

software update 2022.16.1.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update says, "
Your vehicle can now automatically apply regular brakes for consistent deceleration when regenerative braking is limited due to battery temperature or state of charge. To enable, tap Controls > Pedals & Steering > Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking Is Limited.

I do not see this as a new option? Anyone have it?

Reactions: Stuart Watson
I guess the key word here is "automatically". I have not heard of this yet, so I am just guessing. Does that mean when you are going downhill that the car will no longer coast like a regular car if you don't have regen? I don't understand why this is something I would want.

Yes, it's new for 2022.16.1.1.

I guess the key word here is "automatically". I have not heard of this yet, so I am just guessing. Does that mean when you are going downhill that the car will no longer coast like a regular car if you don't have regen? I don't understand why this is something I would want.
No.

When regenerative braking is limited due to battery temperature or state of charge (ex: 100%).

Reactions: RISC601
Update says, "
Your vehicle can now automatically apply regular brakes for consistent deceleration when regenerative braking is limited due to battery temperature or state of charge. To enable, tap Controls > Pedals & Steering > Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking Is Limited.

I do not see this as a new option? Anyone have it?
I'm on 16.1.1 for over a week and the changelog of our car doen't show this particular update. So I guess Tesla didn't include this portion.

No.

When regenerative braking is limited due to battery temperature or state of charge (ex: 100%).
I don't think you understood my question, or perhaps I did not state it in a clear way. I know that regen is limited with very high soc. What I am asking is if anyone sees that the car is applying the brakes while going down a steep hill when your foot comes off the accelerator? Is that what this so called new feature does?

It's only available for "select" 3 and Y. I was rather disappointed my Dec 2018 didn't have the feature.

I think it is perfectly rational to expect roughly the same feedback during braking. For those of us in cold climates there is the - "oh yeah, the battery is cold I'm not slowing down as much as I usually do after lifting off the throttle moment" better press the brake harder.

I drove a manual transmission for 30 years. It's not like I don't understand engine braking. But 3rd gear at a given speed always resulted in the same rate of deceleration regardless of the outside temperature or amount of fuel in the tank,

Once again the car was developed in CA and it shows.

I really like and appreciate how Tesla has kept regen and friction brake controls separate. I like having distinct controls for distinct systems, and if that means I need to adjust my inputs for the conditions instead of the car trying to hide what's going on, that's totally fine.

I'm also a Luddite who hates automatic transmissions and only ever owned manual cars before our single-speed Teslas, so take my preferences as you will. :)

I know other EVs offer blended one-pedal driving these days, in addition to blended brake pedals, and clearly many people prefer a driving experience that's as simple for the driver as possible. It makes perfect sense for Tesla to offer this as an option! Just please don't force blended braking on me.

I don't think you understood my question, or perhaps I did not state it in a clear way. I know that regen is limited with very high soc. What I am asking is if anyone sees that the car is applying the brakes while going down a steep hill when your foot comes off the accelerator? Is that what this so called new feature does?
It's so that your go-pedal behaves the same whether the battery is 100% or cold vs. normal. I.e., in times that you would normally get regen braking, but the system is unable to use regen, it will apply brakes for you so the it reacts/feels the same.

What they are solving is 99% of the time you expect that you get some braking when you lift your foot off the accelerator, this can be dangerous for the 1 time you get in the car and the battery is 100% charged and you lift your foot and get zero braking. So they are giving the option to have the car use friction brakes to make up the difference so you get the same behavior all the time.