Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

software update 2022.16.1.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's allot of talk about the regen/friction brake blend. If you enable it you will eat through your brake pads allot faster and lose allot of regen electricity every every time you slow the car and the setting enables the friction blend.
My understanding is that the brakes will only activate if you're requesting to slow down faster than reduced regen will allow. That means you can still begin slowing down from further out and avoid the brakes activating if you want to. But if you don't do that and expect the braking distance to be the same then with reduced regen you would have had to apply the brake anyway.

Personally I think the braking distance being consistent so as to allow the use of muscle memory is a fair trade for some extra brake wear (which is probably minor since it would only happen at the end of the stop, at lower speed). I don't like having to guess or feel out what my distance will be today and adjust accordingly.

Updated to 16.1.2 this week. Alas, no blended brake option. Maybe they are rare birds.
Still says it's up to date as of June 12. Weird bug.

Same, although my "up to date as of" date is correct.

My understanding is that the brakes will only activate if you're requesting to slow down faster than reduced regen will allow. That means you can still begin slowing down from further out and avoid the brakes activating if you want to. But if you don't do that and expect the braking distance to be the same then with reduced regen you would have had to apply the brake anyway.
Exactly... or at least that's how I too would expect it to function.

Personally I think the braking distance being consistent so as to allow the use of muscle memory is a fair trade for some extra brake wear
Agreed. But I'm also a proponent of most things being user configurable, which supposedly this will be. Of course Tesla also used to let you turn off regen braking and then they removed that option in later productions.

(which is probably minor since it would only happen at the end of the stop, at lower speed).
I'm not so sure about that. On my car I can get some pretty aggressive regen slowing from highway speeds down to spirited exit or transition ramp speeds. Maybe some day we will get to a point where this talk is moot because regen/motor brakes will satisfy all primary and emergency braking requirements and the traditional hydraulic friction brake system can be entirely omitted. Then we'll still be talking about braking curves and software adjustment sensibilities.

I don't like having to guess or feel out what my distance will be today and adjust accordingly.
Agreed. Lest we forget that over the years things like brake drying and other features have come into play to further normalize braking behavior. Regen brakes and their variability seem to be the most significant backslide to this normalization that I have experienced in recent years. I joked with a friend years ago about how I wish Tesla would just have included a big resistive heater to directly dump regen into when the battery was cold or at high SoC. It would probably be size and weight prohibitive on a car, but diesel-electric locomotives have systems like this to support their motor braking systems.

Same, although my "up to date as of" date is correct.
It's strange. I'm just going to ignore it being wrong on mine as it clearly didn't stop the car from being able to receive an update.

Last edited:
On a serious note, I thought I read that the brake blending only occurred if the battery was near 100% capacity or there was an over-heating potential, so in general the brakes should rarely be used in preference for regenerative braking.

That was my understanding as well. A majority of the time regen is going to work like it always has. The brake blending would only apply at high SOC or if your battery was cold. In those situations, you would be applying brakes anyways.

Reactions: GtiMart
There's allot of talk about the regen/friction brake blend. If you enable it you will eat through your brake pads allot faster and lose allot of regen electricity every every time you slow the car and the setting enables the friction blend. This won't be every time you slow, but every time you slow and the feature activities you are losing or on regen and eating your brake pads. In my opinion better to just not benefit the feature. I'm surprised that so many cars looking forward to it. I mean I can understand if a 90 year old grandmother was confused about the different rates of deceleration and wanted a constant speed. I understand why it would be a good thing for her granddaughter or whoever to set this feature for her. I'm going to continue to just start slowing down a little further back when I notice regen breaking is not on Max and it's fine. I'll get more electricity regenerated and save my break pads for when I choose to strongly decelerate or stop and not use friction breaks every single time I take my foot off the accelerator and the battery is cold or state of charge is high. That's allot of break pads and wasted free regen electricity.
I think there is some misunderstanding of when/how this works.... it would use the friction brakes to mimic the regen braking only when regen is unavailable (or not fully unavailable). For example, when the battery is 100% charged or it's very cold, there is no or very little regen available (at least in the LR). So in this case when you lift your foot off the accelerator, it will will apply friction brakes so that the deceleration you get is the same as though you had 'normal' regen.

This setting does NOT blend the friction brakes in when you have the usual amount regen available.

Reactions: leenanj
So weird that people can't wrap their heads around this. It saves you the trouble of moving your foot over to the brake pedal whenever the car fails to regen in a normal manner. That's it.

It has nothing to do with brake wear, regen ability, or the Illuminati. It just saves you the trouble of having to reaction-brake when regen is inadequate. Period.

Reactions: jbarnum
FYI re: blended brakes

"Note: This feature appears to be in testing and is not available for production vehicles."

Oh well. Maybe someday.

Anyhow, after a 1000 km road trip up and down the mountains of France with 2022.16.1.1. The predictions of energy usage on Navigation seem to be very accurate...without giving any information about how they calculated it...for example on one leg of my trip, the energy prediction for the return was much lower than going....and it was uphill all the way and downhill on the way back

Reactions: DrGriz
There's allot of talk about the regen/friction brake blend. If you enable it you will eat through your brake pads allot faster and lose allot of regen electricity every every time you slow the car and the setting enables the friction blend. This won't be every time you slow, but every time you slow and the feature activities you are losing or on regen and eating your brake pads. In my opinion better to just not benefit the feature. I'm surprised that so many cars looking forward to it. I mean I can understand if a 90 year old grandmother was confused about the different rates of deceleration and wanted a constant speed. I understand why it would be a good thing for her granddaughter or whoever to set this feature for her. I'm going to continue to just start slowing down a little further back when I notice regen breaking is not on Max and it's fine. I'll get more electricity regenerated and save my break pads for when I choose to strongly decelerate or stop and not use friction breaks every single time I take my foot off the accelerator and the battery is cold or state of charge is high. That's allot of break pads and wasted free regen electricity.
I see you are located in Los Angeles. Have you ever driven the care in single digit Fahrenheit weather with a battery that is cold soaked? If you plan on stopping you will be using the friction brakes.

Also, for those of where roads are salted I'm actually quite happy to exercise pads and the calipers so as to minimize the chance of things sticking and causing uneven wear.

My expectation is that under most driving conditions the feature won't actually be activated, but there is no way to know until it is released.

Reactions: damonbrodie
FWIW: the Apply Brakes when regenerative braking is limited option is now showing up. I have no idea when it appeared because I haven't been looking for it. I'm currently on 2022.20.7. It wasn't there when I got 2022.16.1.
Oh sh... I just found that on my 2022.20.7 too. It wasn't there when I check it on 2022.16.3 or on 2022.20.6. I had been looking since it was first mentioned.

Reactions: BitJam