Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

software update and "lane wobble"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SOftware just updated to 2018.21.9 75bdbc11 and now when on autopilot (AP2 HW) the car steers slightly left and right in the lane on straight or curved sections. Anyone else experienceing this?
does it have to do with new software "re calibrating" as i have seen in other posts? is this even a thing? seems like it should work out of the box

Having just bought a 100D, I thought this was the way it operated. Hence, my not understanding why there has been so much carping about holding the steering wheel. If I just hold the wheel straight, this provides plenty of torque for the sensor to know my hands are there because it keeps doing that subtle left right / left right movement.

I would prefer that auto pilot not do this because it's just wearing my tires.

I have noticed this on AP1. This S/W version seems to be better in narrow lanes but in lanes that are wider than normal, the car slowly oscillates between left and right lane markings, leading me to intervene. I thought this behaviour had been fixed, in an update earlier this year. This version also appears to pull closer to large vehicles in adjacent lanes, which is a quite disconcerting.

SOftware just updated to 2018.21.9 75bdbc11 and now when on autopilot (AP2 HW) the car steers slightly left and right in the lane on straight or curved sections. Anyone else experienceing this?
does it have to do with new software "re calibrating" as i have seen in other posts? is this even a thing? seems like it should work out of the box

I noticed exact same problem with - 2018.21.9 75bdbc11 on my model 3. It feels like ride is more wobbly on speed above 40 miles. I have already got my alignment for a different reason but I don't think this issue has anything to do with alignment. Car moves in a straight line without autopilot engaged.

My prior experience was much tighter control over steering by AP.

Let me know if you figure it out what the issue is? if it still persist after another update, I plan to make an appointment with service center.

I think it's been like this from the start.

For example, when I make a curved turn on AP on the highway, it doesn't adjust fast enough to center. So If I make a left curved turn, as soon as the road straightens, the car is hugging the righthand line of that lane before eventually going to center.

I think it's been like this from the start.

For example, when I make a curved turn on AP on the highway, it doesn't adjust fast enough to center. So If I make a left curved turn, as soon as the road straightens, the car is hugging the righthand line of that lane before eventually going to center.

so whatever was prior version, I think AP was keeping car relatively straight on a straight road. Little bit of ping pong effect was there but it was much more slower left to right transition.

In a newer version, I feel like as if car makes more aggressive left to right to left transition (as if driving in high wind). If I keep both hands on steering and provider bit firmer grip, car would not wobble as much and wouldn't disengage autopilot even I'm applying slight force in opposite direction. If I take both hands off (which I shouldn't and I completely understand that) it kind of wobbles little bit more.

Just not sure if it's normal or not! I have driven less than 1000 miles and haven't been driving on freeway that much so hard for me to know what is typical experience with AP. May be I'm over reacting or may be there is a problem!

Thanks for your feedback.

I think what you're describing sounds more or less normal. Autopilot makes more fine adjustments even on straight roads compared to most human drivers, who have more of a tolerance of being slightly off center and only make significant adjustments periodically.

With that said, this kind of micro-wobble might be intentional to detect your hands on the wheel as well, and they could be making this more prominent in recent firmwares in order to address the complaints from customers that despite their hands being on the wheel they continue being nagged on straight stretches.

With that said, other than feeling the wheel move, I would expect you or your passengers to be able to feel a wobble. If you do, that might be abnormal and worth having your service center take a look.

There's a lot of calibration that goes into Autopilot, some of which the car learns on the fly and other of which can only be vaidated/recalibrated through a service procedure.

I just got my 2nd year service done and prior to them reloading the latest software update which I already had downloaded the autosteer was very stable on the interstate. However, on the way home I was experiencing the wobble you mentioned. This was a noticeable degradation from previous performance. I called the Service Center and they said it may be going through a recalibration, but on the 400 mile trip home it didn’t get any better. So I think something isn’t right.