Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Available.. connect to WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model3 shows an update is available but will not download. I have tried both hard and soft reboots.
I tested my WiFi using the Tesla browser and have good speed. I have tried my work WiFi, and hotspot from phone.

I have a service call scheduled, but would like to fix this myself.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• DFA88583-A9FA-4299-9C0B-0D3EA43A7E44.jpeg
    DFA88583-A9FA-4299-9C0B-0D3EA43A7E44.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 7F14C6E9-D993-4300-AF3C-ECABB63A7896.jpeg
    7F14C6E9-D993-4300-AF3C-ECABB63A7896.jpeg
    922.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 8794E217-FACC-43EE-8B03-77971EF880C7.jpeg
    8794E217-FACC-43EE-8B03-77971EF880C7.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 120
Yes, as stated, I’ve tried multiple WiFi and the speed test proves I’m connected with good speed. So WiFi is connected.

Yes I did read you tried mult wifi hotspots, speed tests, reboots etc.. But you didn’t state that you deleted and re-paired to those wifi networks. Sorry if I didn’t assume you did. Best of luck trying to get it sorted out.

Sounds like you've tried all the basics of debugging software download issues, so you'll likely need to get Tesla involved, like you've already started with the service call.

The only other anecdotal bit of information is to make sure you have a really strong wi-fi signal. At one point, it was speculated that software downloads only happened when the wi-fi signal strength showed 3 or 4 bars lit. It wouldn't attempt the download with only 1 or 2 bars of wu-fi signal strength. This is different from, but potentially related to, the speed test screen grab that you posted, which tests bandwidth/latency. I had trouble with software downloads until I installed a wi-fi repeater in my garage to boost the signal strength.

Sounds like you've tried all the basics of debugging software download issues, so you'll likely need to get Tesla involved, like you've already started with the service call.

The only other anecdotal bit of information is to make sure you have a really strong wi-fi signal. At one point, it was speculated that software downloads only happened when the wi-fi signal strength showed 3 or 4 bars lit. It wouldn't attempt the download with only 1 or 2 bars of wu-fi signal strength. This is different from, but potentially related to, the speed test screen grab that you posted, which tests bandwidth/latency. I had trouble with software downloads until I installed a wi-fi repeater in my garage to boost the signal strength.

I have an access point in my garage right behind he car.
I get all bars on WiFi.

someone had said to try a factory reset.
I’m just not sure how to do that, or if I want to....

I have an access point in my garage right behind he car.
I get all bars on WiFi.

someone had said to try a factory reset.
I’m just not sure how to do that, or if I want to....

I wouldnt factory reset it. I dont *believe* it would *hurt* anything, but at a minimum you would have to re-pair your keys and phone, and re setup any other options you had setup already (like profiles, seating positions, "on / off" of those features that have a choice, etc.) .

I havent done it, but I think the car would still be in your account so no issues with re setting everything back up. I would think of this like any other companies "factory reset" option on their electronic device... like re installing your windows OS, or Mac OS without choosing to save your data, or resetting your smartphone to factory settings.

Pretty extreme thing to try for this imo. I would contact service like you did and tell them it. It could be that your update is just "stuck", and needs to be deleted and re pushed from their end. That would be my guess anyway.

I wouldnt factory reset it. I dont *believe* it would *hurt* anything, but at a minimum you would have to re-pair your keys and phone, and re setup any other options you had setup already (like profiles, seating positions, "on / off" of those features that have a choice, etc.) .

I havent done it, but I think the car would still be in your account so no issues with re setting everything back up. I would think of this like any other companies "factory reset" option on their electronic device... like re installing your windows OS, or Mac OS without choosing to save your data, or resetting your smartphone to factory settings.

Pretty extreme thing to try for this imo. I would contact service like you did and tell them it. It could be that your update is just "stuck", and needs to be deleted and re pushed from their end. That would be my guess anyway.

ahhh.. I did not think of keys, and cards. So I will not do that.
I have 4 cards setup, two are not with me. So that is an issue.
I will wait on service. Much less extreme.
Thank you.

Solved---- I opened a service call. After a couple days I got a text that my software would download via cellular, and it was. My orange arrow was green and I was downloading while I was driving. Ready by the time I got home, and installed just fine.
Hopefully my next update will go without issues, but Thank You Tesla!! Solved online. The way it should be.

Exact same issue here, and tried the same things you did. Also, cannot pair with another phone for media/calls anymore. I have a service appointment set up in a few days.
I have had similar issues with stalled software downloads. I have WiFi connectivity issues (number of bars low). I was told and assisted by my local Tesla Service Center Service staff that 1). Large software downloads like V10 will not start if you do not have 4-5 bars 2). If your download tries to restart more than some number of times (maybe 3) it is frozen and requires a Reset/Restart (not sure of proper language) from a Service tech (can be done either locally or centrally if you can get someone to call you). I have been Parking at my local service center and using their Service WiFi to fix, download and install the last two updates: Currently looking for a cost effective Hotspot solution to compensate for my underground parking with no connectivity.

Reactions: grovny
My Model3 shows an update is available but will not download. I have tried both hard and soft reboots.
I tested my WiFi using the Tesla browser and have good speed. I have tried my work WiFi, and hotspot from phone.

I have a service call scheduled, but would like to fix this myself.
Any ideas?

I did the following steps and resolved the issue:

Best if you are at home with good Wifi connection.
Go to Safety and Security page, and Power off
Wait approximately 1 minute, step on the brake to Power back on
Hold down both scrolling wheels on the steering column till the computer screen goes blank. Keep on holding the scrolling wheel till the Tesla logo appears. Let go the scrolling wheels.
After the screen reboots, you should see the Software Update downloading.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up