Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update bricked my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new here so apologies if I break any rules...

On Monday I got a notification that there would be a software update overnight. I accepted that, as I always do. That 's the last time my car ran properly.

The next day, the car would not start and the media screen would not turn on. After several attempts, I was able to force a reboot and got the car to start... Once. But no auxiliary systems. No sound, no rear camera, no air conditioning...

I was able to drive it but when it was time to go home, I had to reboot it again. Each reboot gives me exactly one start. Tesla tells me I need to replace the MCU, which is on me since the car is out of warranty. Seems weird that a car would be fine one day, die during an update and Tesla is not taking any responsibility for it.

Any advice? Has anybody encountered a similar situation?

After the latest update my Tesla Cam would not allow downloads to the USB drive, the auto dim screen feature did not work, and the blind spot cameras did not work, so I could not auto drive.
I tried soft reboot, (holding both steering wheel thingies down, usually fixes things) which did not help. So I did a hard reboot, through the cars menu, I think ti said " Turn off" of similar, everything goes dark and the car makes no noise, clearly off, I waited 3 minutes as suggested on line (I timed it) and restarted it up by hitting the brake pedal and everything works now.

An update failed on our S85 a couple years ago leaving the screens weirdly partially functional but unable to drive. Fortunately it was still under warranty and the tech forced a hardwired update in our driveway and, touch wood, it’s been fine since. Definitely concerning if Tesla’s update breaks your MCU and they won’t cover it.

I am new here so apologies if I break any rules...

On Monday I got a notification that there would be a software update overnight. I accepted that, as I always do. That 's the last time my car ran properly.

The next day, the car would not start and the media screen would not turn on. After several attempts, I was able to force a reboot and got the car to start... Once. But no auxiliary systems. No sound, no rear camera, no air conditioning...

I was able to drive it but when it was time to go home, I had to reboot it again. Each reboot gives me exactly one start. Tesla tells me I need to replace the MCU, which is on me since the car is out of warranty. Seems weird that a car would be fine one day, die during an update and Tesla is not taking any responsibility for it.

Any advice? Has anybody encountered a similar situation?

I always worry every time I get the update. I do it overnight so if the car won't start I can figure a different way to work. BTW, how dows one know if you are getting less mileage, does it show less charge/range on the meter, or do you check the trip counter?

Yes, I tried all kind of rebooting sequences. The car is at the dealership now and they say it needs a new MCU

BTW, does anyone know what is the warranty on a replacement MCU?
At one point I read 4 years. Better than a replacement under warranty.

I’d like to confirm. I have 1200 miles left and I’m thinking skip the warranty due to mileage per year.

Reading through other MCU-related posts I notice that there is a correlation with high heat. As it happens, I had just been on a very extended trip and my car sat in the garage for a month. I live in Northern CA so the temps are not really extreme usually but this has been hot summer here. I am guessing some component on the MCU got cooked.