TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Software update bricked my car

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ogen, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Ogen

Ogen New Member

I am new here so apologies if I break any rules...

On Monday I got a notification that there would be a software update overnight. I accepted that, as I always do. That 's the last time my car ran properly.

The next day, the car would not start and the media screen would not turn on. After several attempts, I was able to force a reboot and got the car to start... Once. But no auxiliary systems. No sound, no rear camera, no air conditioning...

I was able to drive it but when it was time to go home, I had to reboot it again. Each reboot gives me exactly one start. Tesla tells me I need to replace the MCU, which is on me since the car is out of warranty. Seems weird that a car would be fine one day, die during an update and Tesla is not taking any responsibility for it.

Any advice? Has anybody encountered a similar situation?

2. whitex

whitex Active Member

Model, production date, mileage?

3. Ogen

Ogen New Member

Model S 85. bought April 2013 new. 43K miles. Interestingly, it had a defective MCU when shipped. Needed replacement immediately.

4. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Search here for mcu memory

sadly, it happens :(

5. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

This is one of the MANY reasons why I'm still on v8. Even unplugged the fuse for extending the rear door handles so the update will fail if Tesla forces it without my permission.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  6. BOOYA85

BOOYA85 New Member

Can we get more info on this? How does unplugging the fuse stop any updates?

7. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

8. random155

random155 Member

What a horrible situation. I'm sorry you are going through this, as it appears many of us will at some time. Basically the MCU is a disposable item in these cars.

9. rrodby

rrodby Member

After the latest update my Tesla Cam would not allow downloads to the USB drive, the auto dim screen feature did not work, and the blind spot cameras did not work, so I could not auto drive.
    I tried soft reboot, (holding both steering wheel thingies down, usually fixes things) which did not help. So I did a hard reboot, through the cars menu, I think ti said " Turn off" of similar, everything goes dark and the car makes no noise, clearly off, I waited 3 minutes as suggested on line (I timed it) and restarted it up by hitting the brake pedal and everything works now.

10. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

An update failed on our S85 a couple years ago leaving the screens weirdly partially functional but unable to drive. Fortunately it was still under warranty and the tech forced a hardwired update in our driveway and, touch wood, it’s been fine since. Definitely concerning if Tesla’s update breaks your MCU and they won’t cover it.

11. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

Updates are suppose to make the car better, not worse

• Like x 1
  12. Huskyf

Huskyf Member

Did you try to shut off completly the car wait 10 minutes and restart it we break pedal ?

13. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

I always worry every time I get the update. I do it overnight so if the car won't start I can figure a different way to work. BTW, how dows one know if you are getting less mileage, does it show less charge/range on the meter, or do you check the trip counter?

14. Ogen

Ogen New Member

Yes, I tried all kind of rebooting sequences. The car is at the dealership now and they say it needs a new MCU

BTW, does anyone know what is the warranty on a replacement MCU?

15. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

At one point I read 4 years. Better than a replacement under warranty.

I’d like to confirm. I have 1200 miles left and I’m thinking skip the warranty due to mileage per year.

16. Ogen

Ogen New Member

Reading through other MCU-related posts I notice that there is a correlation with high heat. As it happens, I had just been on a very extended trip and my car sat in the garage for a month. I live in Northern CA so the temps are not really extreme usually but this has been hot summer here. I am guessing some component on the MCU got cooked.

17. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

I inquired on this and currently replacement parts have only a 1yr warranty.

18. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

You should also get your current part back.

19. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

I saw in another thread they now charge a $500 core fee if you keep the old MCU.

20. MSVroomVroom

MSVroomVroom Member

I'm sure Tesla feels this is simply a wear and tear issue. Why should an owner assume a core part of their car will last the life of the vehicle... totally unreasonable to think that. :rolleyes: