Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Download gets stuck at 50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed in the last three versions of software update, the download process gets stuck at 50% and 100%. (I assume it is related to checksum integrity verifier). I have been successful to force continue by turning WiFi Off and On so far and make it work. Worried if this may cause issues in long term though. Anyone experienced any similar issues? (Done basic troubleshooting like changing SSID, hard reset, using HotSpot etc)

I have noticed in the last three versions of software update, the download process gets stuck at 50% and 100%. (I assume it is related to checksum integrity verifier). I have been successful to force continue by turning WiFi Off and On so far and make it work. Worried if this may cause issues in long term though. Anyone experienced any similar issues? (Done basic troubleshooting like changing SSID, hard reset, using HotSpot etc)
I had this same issue when I first got my MY. Made a sc appt and they were able to remotely fix something that was causing my updates to get stuck

Reactions: PedramGh
Same here, multiple times, in 2021. It really sucks when you’re doing this on the fly elsewhere (no Wi-Fi in my parking space).

And to add insult to injury, it wiped out the first 50% when I did a reset…

You would think in this day and age there would be a more effective way.

Same here, multiple times, in 2021. It really sucks when you’re doing this on the fly elsewhere (no Wi-Fi in my parking space).

And to add insult to injury, it wiped out the first 50% when I did a reset…

You would think in this day and age there would be a more effective way.
This has gotten far worse now…

While driving message that certain safety and auto pilot features are unavailable.

After third failed install, message on screen: contact Tesla service. additional message: cannot drive car during install!?!?

I called Tesla service two days ago, spent 45 minutes on the phone, to no avail, no ETA for fix.

2 mobile service guys came in two separate cars this morning, tried install again, failed!

So I haven’t been able to drive my car for two days
And counting, no offer of replacement, nothing at all. They said the service center would contact me…

So my only car is bricked, not good!

While on the road, I park my M3 near coffee shops and download updates over a low Wifi signal (1 of 3 bars). The download progress bar will steadily increase, usually showing a speed of ~1 MB/s. Upon reaching the halfway point, the progress bar will stop and show that the download speed is 0 MB/s.

After manually turning off and turning on Wifi a few times, the progress bar will start moving again. Going from 50% to 100% takes 20 seconds, leading me to think that the download was still happening in the background while the progress bar was "stuck." Upon reaching 100%, the progress bar gets stuck again.

This is a bug that Tesla has left unfixed for a long time. If the download is proceeding even when the progress bar gets stuck, then we are wasting time by turning off and turning on Wifi.

It's pretty normal. Big files. Slow processor. Long time to decompress the downloaded package and verify checksums is my guess with just one big progress bar for the whole process. The actual download finishes relatively quickly if you watch traffic I suspect. I would do so myself but I can't actually park my car close enough to get onto my home network and have to use my mobile hotspot for updates.

The question for those of temporarily connecting to a hotspot - when can we disconnect the hotspot? When the download progress shows 100%?

Also, are there any downsides to disconnecting the hotspot when the progress is not 100%? (Back in 2018, I experienced 30+ mile daily battery drain when my car couldn't finish downloading an update.)