Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update download reached 100% then stuck and disappeared after reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 M3 LR.
The previous software update (2021.12.25.7) was installed successfully a few months ago.
A few weeks ago I have received a software update (~2021.32.21) notification, then it was 100% downloaded and stuck in that state for hours.
I had rebooted thew car, it start downloading again and then stuck at 100% for hours again.
I left the car overnight on WiFi and in the morning I do not see any signs of an update (it disappear).
I saw "Your software is up to date" message in the software section and there is not any sign of update(s) anymore (the software, in fact, is not updated).

I have contacted tesla support yesterday, they somehow managed to "reschedule" an update.
I see the update start downloading (ver 2021.36.5.5 in that case), and then the story is repeated.
The update downloaded to 100% and then stuck.
I took a USB drive from the USB port, removed and reconnected to my WiFi hotspot, reboot, power off, left the car on Wifi with sentry mode overnight (to prevent sleep), updated tesla app - nothing helps.

Update notification disappear next morning, and my car still says that my software (2021.12.25.7) is up to date.

Does anyone observe this symptom of disappearing updates?

After chatting with Tesla support, I finally managed to fix it.

BACKGROUND:
1. After software download reached 100% (and the update actually downloaded), the car software should switch to installation prompt.
2. In some rare cases, this transition is failed (and the "download complete" event is missed).
3. In that case, the download will not start (as the update has already been downloaded).
4. Install prompt will not show, as the "download complete" event already has been fired (and missed).
5. I saw stalled "Checking for updates" message near the software version all the time (not sure this is critical symptom)

HOW TO FIX (Brief):
Park car near WiFi, Do soft reboot (2 buttons), Do Power off, Wait 5 min, Press brake to awake the car, and install prompt should apeear.

HOT TO FIX (Details):
1. Park your car in a place where you have a stable WiFi signal for next ~1 hour
2. Unplug any USB device you have plugged in (including USB flash drives, USB hubs, etc) -- this step may be optional, but I did it for my own initiative
3. Do a soft reboot of car software by pressing 2 steering wheel buttons simultaneously for ~30 sec
4. Wait about a minute until the software is loaded back (wait while Tesla logo appears, then wait while dashboard UI is loaded)
5. Wait ~20 sec more (I spent this time by go to Software section and see "Checking for updates" is stalled as it was before, but you may just wait)
6. Do a hard reboot by power off the car (go to "Safety and Security" and then press POWER OFF button)
7. Car will start countdown (~2 minutes), so you have time to leave the car (do not forget to take to your phone or keycard) or you may sit inside as well.
8. Let it power off, do not touch any car controls (especially to not touch a brake pedal if you are inside) in the next 5 minutes
9. Touch the brake pedal to awake the car. It will show the UI and software install prompt will be shown (!)

This worked for me, I hope it will help somebody.

Another stuck download here - haven't managed to clear it (and never managed a reboot which showed the T boot logo either). After power off, the car seemed awake as soon as I touched the brake (and didn't hear the contactor). Service booked, hopefully they will fix it remotely.

BACKGROUND:
1. After software download reached 100% (and the update actually downloaded), the car software should switch to installation prompt.
2. In some rare cases, this transition is failed (and the "download complete" event is missed).
3. In that case, the download will not start (as the update has already been downloaded).
4. Install prompt will not show, as the "download complete" event already has been fired (and missed).
5. I saw stalled "Checking for updates" message near the software version all the time (not sure this is critical symptom)

HOW TO FIX (Brief):
Park car near WiFi, Do soft reboot (2 buttons), Do Power off, Wait 5 min, Press brake to awake the car, and install prompt should apeear.

HOT TO FIX (Details):
1. Park your car in a place where you have a stable WiFi signal for next ~1 hour
2. Unplug any USB device you have plugged in (including USB flash drives, USB hubs, etc) -- this step may be optional, but I did it for my own initiative
3. Do a soft reboot of car software by pressing 2 steering wheel buttons simultaneously for ~30 sec
4. Wait about a minute until the software is loaded back (wait while Tesla logo appears, then wait while dashboard UI is loaded)
5. Wait ~20 sec more (I spent this time by go to Software section and see "Checking for updates" is stalled as it was before, but you may just wait)
6. Do a hard reboot by power off the car (go to "Safety and Security" and then press POWER OFF button)
7. Car will start countdown (~2 minutes), so you have time to leave the car (do not forget to take to your phone or keycard) or you may sit inside as well.
8. Let it power off, do not touch any car controls (especially to not touch a brake pedal if you are inside) in the next 5 minutes
9. Touch the brake pedal to awake the car. It will show the UI and software install prompt will be shown (!)

Thanks, this worked for me just now.

BACKGROUND:

HOW TO FIX (Brief):

HOT TO FIX (Details):

This work for me today on 2023.6.11 update.

• Helpful
Reactions: Peterkn4

BACKGROUND:

HOW TO FIX (Brief):

HOT TO FIX (Details):

This worked for me for 2024.3.10 update.