Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a OTA software update that has failed multiple times despite resetting the console, installing immediately or selecting different times/places? What have you done if successful? I'm trying to avoid a dedicated trip to a service center just for this issue...

Ditto. Both times it happened to me it was because of a hardware issue and needed to go in for the fix.

Schedule an appointment, best case they'll do an update in the driveway and all will be good... worst case they'll find something else you'll have wanted to get fixed anyway.

My last 3 updates have failed. Svc center pulled the logs and told me it's because my door handle was unplugged. Now that I've fixed the gear in there and plugged it back in, I'm waiting for an update to stage so I can try again.

Lesson: Even trivial hardware changes can prevent updates from completing.

• Helpful
Reactions: kevincwelch
As another data point, I upgraded my TPMS to display tire pressures. After that, I had four failed software updates in a row.

Turns out a setting was incorrectly configured related to the TPMS system. I think it was set to a type one and it was supposed to be a type 2.

• Helpful
Reactions: kevincwelch
When our S 100D was delivered, the first update failed to install. The Service Center had the car for an extended period, and after multiple attempts to install the update at the SC, they ordered a replacement processor.

But...

When I got home, I was able to get the software to install. I did a reboot of the processors, then a "Power Off" of the entire car (using the console commands), and then another reboot of the processors.

And... the software update installed. And we then cancelled the processor replacement.

And, if that doesn't work, call Tesla and ask them to push the update to your car again - and try the above reboot/power off sequence.

Since the initial update failed issue - subsequent updates have installed correctly.

When I got home, I was able to get the software to install. I did a reboot of the processors, then a "Power Off" of the entire car (using the console commands), and then another reboot of the processors

I've read the manual and many forum posts, but I'm unfamiliar with ". . . a 'Power Off' of the entire car (using the console commands) . . . ."
Are you able to explain or point me to an explanation of that process?