Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Failed 2019.20.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i had a notification for an update last night around 8pm. I told it to do it, waited about an hour then went out to check it out. I had seen videos and saw they added new games and wanted to see that and whatever else they did. When I get out there I see software update required, contact Tesla service . When i look at the software version it looks like it updated but no new games and everything else looks the same as before as far as i notice.

Is this going to be something that it just will try to update again and possibly resolve itself?
Can Tesla send something though if I call them and if I call them what number do I call, the 877 number on the screen or the "local" service center (50 miles away) to get someone to check it out right now?
Is it safe to drive in this condition and will autopilot still work?

Thanks
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning Bob. I’ve read here that if you call your nearest Service Center they might be able to help you OTA. I’ve also read here that other folks have had similar issues. Try a search to see what shows up. Let us know how you make out.

Rob, while I am not certain, I believe that there are several updates that occur (to other components in the car that also require firmware updates) when we do our primary code update. If some of those fail to update, you may see this message. I have seen videos of these messages on the console from people who were in their car during the update process, but they eventually went away on their own. I would give it an hour or two, and if the issue persists, contact Tesla service and see what they'll be able to do for you remotely.

I’ve had two instances of failed updates in the 15 months I’ve had my Model 3. My car was drivable in both instances but I believe the first time it happened I wasn’t able to use autopilot and the second time I had full functionality but just an “update failed” message on the screen. Contact either your local service center or the main Tesla support number. Let them know what happened and they should be able to push the update to your car again. Both times this happened to me it was fixed after my car got the next update. They will most likely push the same version to your car again.

The version your car most likely received was 2019.20.2.1 which saw a pretty big rollout yesterday. This version does not contain the new game. The only version known to have the new game is 2019.20.4 and I haven’t seen any reports of this being installed on any 3’s yet except for some of Tesla’s own vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I had a failed update where it looked like a PC boot sector failed error as the car would not restart. Tesla has to reload the previous release and then I had to restart it (meaning get to it, not reboot) from the app as it was dead from the MCU/steering wheel and from Tesla remote. Fun weekend.

Point is, keep the app as a means of car access in your back pocket. Tesla may not even be aware, they weren’t in my case. The car was awake enough to answer the app but not the steering wheel reboot. Saved a flatbed to the SC.

I just want to report back that they pushed the update again and it completed properly. I was having tesla mobile ranger out to replace my drivers side headlight (which completely went out, all the lights not just part). The tech thinks it was probably the computer in the headlight. Hope that is not something that we normally have to worry about going out once it is out of warranty. The invoice didn't say what it really costs, just $0.00 but i'll bet it's at least $500 if you have to pay it out in the future. He also thinks that it could have failed the update because the headlight was out. After he replaced it, he then initiated the update and all went well.

Then this morning I got another update that included the beach buggy racing game. It also completed properly. So new headlight and fixed software update on the same day. So car the car has worked perfectly since.

Rob