Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update failed, car won’t move, got loaner 3 days later, car fixed next day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BLKMDL3

Supporting Member
It’s true, my car really is dead for now.
Earlier today, I got a notification that a software update failed. Ok, so that’s happened before. Walk out to the car and a whole load of error messages pop up. I’m like oh s$&t. Call roadside and they say the car has to be towed. But the car had another available update so I tried that. Still failed and now car can’t drive or charge. Stuck with 50 miles of range on the car. The friendly people at Tesla support said I have an SD card failure and it has to be towed into the Centinela service center and that they have no clue on when it will be done. So I’m gonna call the service center in the AM and have them drop a loaner and tow my baby away. Anyone have this problem so far? Here’s what error messages said and pic of my car because she’s really pretty.
7FE4C94F-931E-4DE0-AC8F-821A969D4785.jpeg

02E9A0E8-A6E9-4B9B-BC89-BB2D46FD5534.jpeg

Reactions: 1 person
I recognized the sticker and I just saw the video a couple of days ago. I like the tinted headlights so I watched most of the video. I like your murdered out look and thinking about doing the same when my P3D arrives.
Took the stickers off, just was for video and on the way to the lake bed. Parker and I are really close friends so we film a lot together and see each other quite frequently. We went to the dry lake bed and then I took the stickers off. Lake bed was day after 5 problems video so they weren't on there for long. Our car is also in some of his other videos if you can spot it. Tints are 20% and headlight tints are the smoked PPF from RPM that I installed morning of 5 problems vid. The tints look purple in pics but they aren't. Light goes through perfectly.

UPDATE!!!! Tesla called and said they could possibly have an engineer OTA an update in the AM. Should be driveable in the morning and will post an update.

I had the same issue but they reviewed it at the shop for a week to make sure it's not a safety issue. It's just a software bug with the drives rail. Glad your is the same. Tesla also said this issue shouldn't happen on firmware 2018.28. Were you on the latest firmware?

Btw, I was kidding about driving it hard. Tesla shouldn't brake after a few hard launches like a traditional ICE.

I had the same issue but they reviewed it at the shop for a week to make sure it's not a safety issue. It's just a software bug with the drives rail. Glad your is the same. Tesla also said this issue shouldn't happen on firmware 2018.28. Were you on the latest firmware?

Btw, I was kidding about driving it hard. Tesla shouldn't brake after a few hard launches like a traditional ICE.
Maybe it's been way more than just a few launches with a few donuts and drifts in the way.

What firmware version were you on?

This happened to my car to and I posted it in another thread yesterday. Here is my experience below:

I had somewhat of the same issue Monday morning 8/6 when charging my vehicle overnight.

I scheduled the charge to start at 1:00am and when I woke up my phone had a notice that the charge had been interrupted around 5:30am. I tried to initiate the charge from my phone with no success. When I went to the vehicle I unplugged the charge cable and as I sat in the vehicle two faults appeared on my screen; "Car Needs Service" and "Cannot Maintain Vehicle Power."

At that point I tied a soft reboot of the center touch screen which did not fix the issue and I also tried full power down under the settings in the vehicle. Both reboots did not fix the issue.

I called Tesla roadside and a flat bed towed my car to local service station.
On a side note the tow truck driver put the vehicle into tow mode but there was a clicking sounds when rolling the vehicle out of the garage towards the rear wheels. Sounded like the motor did not fully go into neutral.

I received text this AM 8/7 that they were unsure what caused the issues and they were investigating further. They said they are replacing the drive unit as well as the electronic fuse assembly. When I mentioned to the service rep that seemed like an extensive repair for something that happened when the vehicle was parked and charging he said it was definitely unusual.
The drive unit they have in stock but fuse assembly needed to be ordered and should arrive later this week.
I was on firmware version 2018.26.3 be4b11e, VIN 11XXX, RWD
Loaner car I received was a Model S 75

• Informative
Reactions: billy/
What firmware version were you on?

This happened to my car to and I posted it in another thread yesterday. Here is my experience below:
Same software, crap. Hopefully the OTA update will work. The guy at Tesla said it could be in between updates. Hoping car won't be towed as I ordered $400 worth of ceramic coatings and all this crap to install tomorrow.