Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update - frozen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6F5F2D43-6457-4D4D-9849-F49DC6CF1BD0.jpeg Started a software update (WiFi via phone mobile data tether), was going slow so turned phone connection off and now the software update seems to have frozen.

Any ideas how to get things moving again or restart download?

Tried all the following but no change to the downloading software update status.

Reboot / Power Off Procedures
Try these steps in this order, most issues can be solved by a basic reboot:

• Soft Reboot: Hold down both steering wheel buttons until the screen goes black and continue holding until the Tesla logo appears. Then let go.
  • Hard Reboot: Hold down both steering wheel buttons and press on the brake until the screen goes black.Continue holding until the Tesla logo appears. Then let go.
  • Power Off/On: Under Vehicle Controls -> Safety and Security > Power Off (wait 2-3 minutes before pressing the Brake).
I’ll be stuck on v9 forever. Another one for SC.

Interestingly, my MS MCU went completely blank about a month ago just after an update. They towed it in and when I collected they announced that it was due to a failed software update which they had subsequently 'forced' through. I'm now on 2019.32.12.2. and almost frightened to perform any more updates. Never had a problem in the past (4 years) so a bit of a quandary to say the least.

Can I cancel a software update once it begins? How do I resume when I am ready?
You cannot cancel a software update once it has started. However, it is possible for the download of the update to be interrupted and not restart properly. If you think that your software update failed before completion, you should call Tesla [URL='https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/customer-support-roadside-assistance']Customer Support

Remember, you can also schedule the software update to occur at a later time that is convenient for you, and when your Tesla will be connected to Wi-Fi.

How do I restart a software update if the previous one failed?
If you believe that your software update failed you will need to call Customer Support to request a restart.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/software-updates
[/URL]

Very surprising an interruption to download can only be sorted by SC

Interrupting a download shouldn't normally a problem, but the actual application of the update aborting is different. The car won't let you drive during the update, and pretty sure it also won't perform the update if SOC is low, so there isn't any normal reason for an update to fail to complete ... and if it does then it likely needs someone technical to review "why" as my expectation would be that the car firmware could be left in limbo by a half-completed update.

If the download does fail (i.e. and repeatedly fails to resume) then that would also be a support issue. No reason for that to happen - if WiFi is lost it should just resume download next time WiFi is seen (maybe after waiting for X-time to try to ensure the connection is stable, and when the car gets to the front of the queue for available bandwidth from the Tesla server, and whatever other magic Tesla applies), and I would also expect that if the checksum on the download was wrong, because something got corrupted somehow, that the car would just "try again" without needing further input - but it would then give up after X attempts.

I have never known of anyone to be alerted to the fact that a download had failed, so if that is indeed the case then there would be no way to know there was a problem ... so after "I should have got it by now, but haven't" the only option is to phone support and ask them to push it again. In my view that is nuts, the car knows it has tried the download, and failed, it can either tell you or, better, tell Tesla and they can get busy sorting it out without you ever needing to know.

my current update 'sticks' on 50% (a suspiciously round figure). Then - despite a good wifi signal it says its downloading at 0 b/s and it goes on for hours.
Tesla have re started the process to no avail. will have to keep hassling them I guess. The squeaky wheel gets the most oil......

I had this too with the last but one update. Kept sticking at 50% and couldn't get it to download any further despite multiple restarts (hard and soft).

The resolution in the end was to rename my home wifi network at great annoyance to all my other devices and then reconnect the car's wifi to the newly-named network. Update came down like a dream.

I had a download stick at 50 odd % a couple of weeks ago. Rebooted, left it a couple of days but it wouldn't resume.

I raised a ticket for it and got an update a couple if days later to say that it had been cleared down and the update had been withdrawn which was why the download wouldn't complete.