Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update "hangs" after completion, ~40% of the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of the last 31 software updates (commencing with 2017.50.3) I have had 13 updates during which the car will not "wake" after the software update process has executed (both screens remain black upon entering the vehicle, the following morning after initiating the update), or more commonly (despite silently succeeding) vehicle will fail to complete the update/check process & displays only the old software version (Most often the instrument cluster shows "Software Update Required" indefinitely at the conclusion of the update process, or MCU remains hung on the "Checking Software Update" dialog for 8+ hours) until I reboot IC & MCU & then wait for the two machines to "handshake" (typically just a minute or two after a manual reboot, the new SW version is shown/confirmed to be in-place).

This for MCU1, HW2

So gurus (paging @verygreen) , any ideas what may be messed up (filesystem, process etc.?) & how to remedy? (or how best to guide service toward a resolution). The vehicle is vanilla X100, 2017 - not rooted or modded.

Anyone else experience something similar?

The vehicle is vanilla X100, 2017 - not rooted or modded
so you want us to address this without any logs or any other debug data?

When in the "software update required" state is the car driveable? If yes - it's just some linux node that failed to reboot. Since you still see old release notes, it's the cid (big screen) that appears to have failed to reboot I imagine. But service center can enter the car into diag mode to verify individual component versions to see this precisely.

so you want us to address this without any logs or any other debug data?

When in the "software update required" state is the car driveable? If yes - it's just some linux node that failed to reboot. Since you still see old release notes, it's the cid (big screen) that appears to have failed to reboot I imagine. But service center can enter the car into diag mode to verify individual component versions to see this precisely.
For completeness - this issue went away (when MCU1 went away, and car was upgraded to MCU2 for $1500)