Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery yesterday of a Model 3 and trying to update the software. It is at version 2022.11...and there is no way I found to update it. Connected to Wifi but the "update available" icon didn't appear on the screen (since yesterday).

Do these updates take some time until they show up or maybe in Canada this is the latest version?

Also while charging, I couldn't find any way of displaying the "KM of range/hour" rate of charge. Is my software version just old, or different in Canada? See screenshot.

When your car has an update available, it will notify you automatically. There is nothing you need to do until then.

BTW, a new car generally does not get its first update until about 30 days after delivery, even if there is newer software released.

Reactions: catman44
7D8D2F49-9B87-45BD-8B19-DD0E6C077E55.jpeg

You didn’t provide a screenshot, but did you mean in the car or on the mobile app?
Sorry. Car’s screen.

As @Supcom said, your car will periodically check by itself and when there's an update you'll get a notification on your phone and you will see an orange "update waiting" icon on the top of the display in the car.

You can also force it to check by going to the software tab in the "car" menu. The act of opening that menu causes it to check - you will see a spinning icon for a few seconds, then it will either show you the update or it will say "Your software is up to date"

As others have mentioned. It takes a few weeks before a new car gets its first update.

Also, they don't do updates like Apple (i.e., everyone can get the update the date/time its released). They typically stagger them over a few weeks - they almost never roll out to all cars at once, so almost always you will see others posting online that they got a newer update than you have. For example, you will see 2022.12 go out to a few cars... then a few days later 2022.12.1 will come out and go out to a few more... this may repeat over a few days as Tesla makes sure there aren't major bugs or issues... then at some point they open the flood gates and the rest of the fleet gets it, Sometimes that takes a few days or a few weeks. It varies.

Just be patient. Sometimes you will be among the first to get a new version, sometimes you will be near the end, most of the time, you will get it within a week or so of first seeing it posted somewhere online.

If you're super curious you can follow the TeslaFi software tracker which posts stats on software versions seen by their subscribers: https://www.teslafi.com/firmware.php When I look there I am currently on 2022.12.3.2 and I see three versions newer than what I have.

Last edited:
  • Informative
According to the screenshot your car is only getting 1kW, so maybe not enough to calculate a charging speed?
I have seen videos where the user lowered the current below 12 Amps and it showed 7, 6…down to 3 km range per hour. I can’t seem to be able to display that (but I can, obviously lower the charging current).
Could my software version be that old? 2022.11.

I have seen videos where the user lowered the current below 12 Amps and it showed 7, 6…down to 3 km range per hour. I can’t seem to be able to display that (but I can, obviously lower the charging current).
Could my software version be that old? 2022.11.
Yes, the factory version is typically quite old. Once a month or so has passed you will start to see the regular cadence of updates that you might be seeing on this forum and elsewhere. All is good. Relax :)