TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Software update: Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Patrick W, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

When the car arrived last month the software was on .188. A week ago the SC updated that to .213. But when the new update came out yesterday I figured I'd do that at home.

I connected the car to my WiFi signal and a message on the touchscreen said the update would take two hours.

I came back two hours later and the interior was dark as was the light around the charge port (I had plugged in before starting the update). Also the door handles would not present. I figured it was still updating.

Back an hour later and everything looked the same.

Back after 4 hours and still no change. All dark and no door handles. At that point I was a little concerned but thought I'd see what would happen if I pushed on the driver door handle. When I did that all of the handles promptly presented and the interior lit up.

Opened the door and there was a message on the touchscreen saying the update was successful.

Actually I thought I'd receive notification on the Tesla app on my iPhone that the update was finished. But no such message arrived.

Is what I experienced normal?

Is there no way of telling if the update is complete other than occasionally pushing on the handles?

2. simonog

simonog Member

Your experience is normal. The time estimate to complete, however, is in my experience generous and it can take 1/3 less time (this could be car dependent).

I once made the mistake on a journey of triggering an update when I was about to charge, thinking it was a good idea to do both at once. Everything, including charging, is suspended while an update happens. I was late!

3. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Thanks for the input (and sorry to hear of your bad experience).

But with the app always telling me when charging starts and stops I'm pretty surprised that it can not also say when a software update is complete.