Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update killed my Model S LR+ ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone - new owner here (picked up my Model S LR+ on September) and have encountered an interesting problem.

On Wed (11/25/20) I downloaded 2020.44.15 using my phone hotspot while driving to work. When I arrived, I parked and began the install. After some time of watching the app indicate the installation progress, it seemed to freeze at 60%. I waited about three hours of it sitting at 60% before going down to my parking space. The door handles "presented", but all screens were blank and did not respond to a touch. I called the service number and got to the "software" option. The nice tech agreed it seemed strange and suggested a "thumb wheel" re-boot. I tried that - no change.

I called back again and another tech said that they would try resetting the car from the "mothership" and to try the "re-boot" again; yet again to no avail. I called the techs again who indicated that they would "escalate" the problem. At this point I noticed that the app was no longer "refreshing" (as if the car was no longer communicative). I went back to the car and noticed that the door handles would no longer "present" - it did not seem to recognize my fob. Interestingly, the rear hatch would manually open.

I went back to my office and called again - it was suggested that I needed a "tow" to the nearest service center. However, since it was getting late on the Wed before Thanksgiving I opted to wait (one of the techs had earlier indicated that the car MIGHT decide on its own to come alive). Fast forward to yesterday (11/27/20). I spoke with Austen in "roadside" about options for getting the car fixed (note: he was very nice, courteous, and reassuring). He arranged for a flatbed to pick up the car to take it to the closest service center (Charlotte - about 150 miles away).

They took my car away last night. The generally worrisome thing about all this is that since Wed afternoon my car has been going through a slow-motion downward spiraling system shutdown... :(

Questions for you all:

1) has anyone experienced this before (an update apparently killing your Model S)?

2) estimate of down-time (best-case; worst-case)?

3) best way to approach getting a "loaner" (as mentioned I am 150 miles from the closest Tesla store)?

4) I assume that since Tesla had to pick up the car, they will figure out a way to get it back to me?

Wow - I feel your pain. I also picked up a new MS LR+ in September, and like your report, the install of 2020.44.15 got stuck at 60%, and the car was unresponsive. However, unlike your experience, after about 45 minutes at 60%, it jumped to 80%, and then completed the update within minutes. Don't know why yours hung up at 60%, but that spot seems difficult for the car to digest.

Possible a software corrupt when you download de software in driving.
Very rare but happend.
No technically this can’t happen. The MCU downloads the firmware update, then it verifies all blocks against the cryptographic signature to make sure the file is intact. If not, no installation prompt is provided.

Had this sort of thing two years ago on my 3. Remote service was able to roll it back to the previous version and I got it to reboot using the app’s access (it was dead locally, very weird they said). Once it came up, they said they would queue the upgrade again and all was well. No idea what happened the first time.

That is one powerful update. o_O

What if someone had some malware on their USB stick? Sometimes techs recommend users remove all external flash drives before rebooting when strange things happen.
This recommendation serves only one purpose (do not overload the MCU power).
Sometimes when the usb is on, problems can occur due to power drawdown.
That is one powerful update. o_O

What if someone had some malware on their USB stick? Sometimes techs recommend users remove all external flash drives before rebooting when strange things happen.

Update: All is well. The car was picked up at work (where it had died) on the evening of Friday the 27th and taken to CLT. On Thursday 12/3 I got a text that all was well (they replaced the MCU and the 12v battery). In terms of the "loaner" they arranged an Enterprise rental that I picked up locally, and returned to the CLT Service Center on Friday 12/4 - when I picked up my car.