Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update not Applying

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if there's a post on this topic, but I could not find anything with the search.

I received a notification this evening that an update was available. I scheduled the update from the carcar 11, but 11 came and went with no notification about an update, and the app reports the same SW version number. Under the update section on the app, it still said scheduled for 11pm (this is at about 12, now).

I clicked the option to run the update now from the app. It does the two minute countdown, but says software update starting, but then goes back to just "scheduled", but the time has changed to whatever the time I clicked to update in the app. I tried this three times with the same result each time.

This also happened on the last update I received too (5.15). I was worried about the car when it happened, and when I went out to check on it, the screen and everything was responsive (no message about an update except for the alarm clock icon), but the car was making some weird clicking noises. I applied the update from the car, waiting the two minutes before leaving, and then it finally applied and everything was perfectly fine when I came back our to the car later I haven't tried this yet for this most recent case.

Has anyone else experienced behavior look this for updates?

...alarm clock icon...

Clicking on that icon would give you an option to update. Totally normal.

...some weird clicking noises...

If you stay with your Tesla enough, it will make noises even in its sleep. Perfectly normal whether it is updating or not.

I guess your question is why it doesn't update at your specific schedule. Maybe there's a bug but I never use the scheduling option anyway so I don't know.

If that is the case, then I would just manually click on the alarm clock icon when I am ready rather than scheduling it and wait for a scheduling bug fix.

Not sure if it's related, but my software update did start, but failed last night. The app just said it failed, I went to the car and the screen was all glitchy and it said I needed to wait for Tesla to push me a new update. Rebooted the screen and that cleaned it up but there's now no sign that an update is due. I just got 8.4 a few days ago without a problem.

Clicking on that icon would give you an option to update. Totally normal.

If you stay with your Tesla enough, it will make noises even in its sleep. Perfectly normal whether it is updating or not.

I guess your question is why it doesn't update at your specific schedule. Maybe there's a bug but I never use the scheduling option anyway so I don't know.

If that is the case, then I would just manually click on the alarm clock icon when I am ready rather than scheduling it and wait for a scheduling bug fix.

I've been through plenty of updates, so I know what to expect, and these past two have been much buggier than what I experienced before. The noises and such I'm aware of, but these were more similar to the noises the car usually makes during an update (which are much different than the normal operation noises). The bug isn't just with scheduling, since when I push the "update now" button from the app, it still fails.

I've been going through the exact same thing for over 2 weeks now. I have an appointment next Tuesday for them to help diagnose the issue. I even tried doing a soft reset, but the issue still persists.

Good to know it's not just me, at least. Can you post back here what they find?

Same issue. I needed to turn Sentry mode off and then it worked fine but the app never told me to do that.

I tried turning off/on sentry mode and stopping/starting charging, and the update wouldn't apply in any state.

----

For whatever reason, when I woke up this morning, the car was still on the old version, and when I attempted again to start the update from the app, this time it took. Not sure what was different. The update took about 40 minutes (a little longer than in my past experience), but appears to be sitting fine on 8.5 now. Haven't been out to the car yet to check on it in person.

Any fix for this? I got pushed an update and every time I try to install (app or in the car) it fails and in the app it says “Scheduled For xxx.”

Sentry Mode is off.
I had the same problem the other day. It eventually failed to install and TACC/AP no longer worked. I called Tesla and they did something remotely, then pushed a new load, which installed properly.

• Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift
I'm not sure at what point this stopped being an issue for me, but the last couple updates have gone smoothly. I may have had sentry mode on at the time. I also had to bring my car in and they applied an update at the SC, so perhaps that reset something as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snow Drift
So I called Roadside, they told me to do a hard reboot...didnt work. So I scheduled a service appointment via the app and after a while got a text message from Tesla saying they remotely figured out the problem and pushed me a new update. I got home and it worked via app install. 2019.16.2 is awesome!

Tesla, only auto OEM (on a holiday even!) able to fix a problem remotely.

Hi, had the same issue. Fixed it by starting the update mannually and cancelling it after a few seconds.
The message in the app then changed. Instead of "scheduled for xx:xx" it displayed the standard notification with the indication of the expected install time ("~25 minutes").

Hi, had the same issue. Fixed it by starting the update mannually and cancelling it after a few seconds.
The message in the app then changed. Instead of "scheduled for xx:xx" it displayed the standard notification with the indication of the expected install time ("~25 minutes").
Just to be clear: my fix applies to the issue reported by jat255

Does anybody know what the heck the latest update fixed? Hate it when it doesn't say. Just 'minor bugs and fixes'. Just curious. Thx. Wish Tesla added a way to change turn-signal flashing from just 3, to 3, 5, and even 7. Maybe in the future :).