Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update on 6/15/2021 Wipers come on when cruise control activated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model 3 LR on 6/8/2021. I've had it for 9 days. After the latest software update on June 15th I think, the wipers turn on in intermittent mode when I activate the cruise control ( I didn't even try auto-pilot yet since the update.) I just rebooted the operating system, hopefully that will solve the problem. Anyone else experience this?

TACC = Traffic Aware Cruise Control.

I think the wipers are required to be in auto mode any time you are using TACC or AutoSteer. You might check and make sure that the windshield is clear around the front facing cameras. (Center top of the windshield)

TACC = autopilot but where you do the steering (more or less). Anything that AP needs for vision only cars like yours (like currently auto high beams and auto wipers) TACC needs. Yes, that means you probably should also not use cruise control after dark if you want to avoid being a jerk to other drivers because the auto high beams work about as well as the auto wipers.

not trying to be mean or a PITA etc - but its probably worth giving the manual a reading some parts of the manual for your car.
it will explain a great deal of this stuff to you and will really help you out
You can access the manual from in the car, but I find it easier to read on my computer where I can download it.
Logging into your account on your computer, you'll find the manual when you choose your car from the list, look in documents.
Hope you enjoy your car and welcome to Tesla family :cool:

From the manual:

Note: for vehicles manufactured after approximately April 27, 2021, Autopilot requires wipers to be set to AUTO. This setting is made automatically and you cannot not change it.

That's understandable with Vision-only. But the OP implies the wipers are coming on even when it's not raining. Do the wipers auto-engage automatically at other times when it's not raining? Or only when Autopilot is engaged?

From the manual:

That's understandable with Vision-only. But the OP implies the wipers are coming on even when it's not raining. Do the wipers auto-engage automatically at other times when it's not raining? Or only when Autopilot is engaged?
No rain here a single day since I got my M3 and wipers come on every time AP is engaged! Whats difference is the speed of the wipers, sometimes slow and sometimes fast....

I picked up my Model 3 LR on 6/8/2021. I've had it for 9 days. After the latest software update on June 15th I think, the wipers turn on in intermittent mode when I activate the cruise control ( I didn't even try auto-pilot yet since the update.) I just rebooted the operating system, hopefully that will solve the problem. Anyone else experience this?
Yes I had the same happen with my MYLR. I rebooted and the problem seemed to go away!

When driving in the morning when the sun is shining through trees in the median and the car is rapidly going through patches of sun and shade, it will activate this behavior and then it will not stop that entire drive, even if the sun goes behind a cloud or I move to a 100% sun lane. I just can't use cruise control some mornings. v2021.3.105

I do controls engineering, so I totally get it that this could trigger the sensor and I also totally understand that it needs to see for adaptive cruise control. What I don't get is why it persists after the trigger conditions are removed and why I can have normal, non-adaptive cruise control that does not use vision and does not require wipers be in auto.

I don't know if extreme following distance keeping is part of the vision only-limitations, but I have to keep my foot on the accelerator the entire time cars are around me or the car will do some extreme slow-downs until there are a dozen car lengths between me and the next car up. Like a car going faster than me changing into my lane 8 lengths up will make the Tesla brake hard enough to dip the nose and spill coffee out of my cup. I would really appreciate dumb cruise control.

Reactions: Plum Loco
I have had .y model 3 for less than a month and when Using my cruse control for speed on a 100 degree day no rain the windshield wipers turn on? Had to stop on t h e side of the road turn off my cruise control then turn off the windshield wipers. As soon as I turned on my cruise control again they came on, scratching the *sugar* out of expel windshield wrap. What a piece of crap car. Car is clean they seem to turn on for no reason under cruse control.

Yesterday I was a bit ticked that my windshield wipers were turning on when using cruse control. I called tech support for kicks and giggles to see if they had had this complaint? I talked with Tyson in Utah, I'm in California. He said he hadn't personally seen that issue come up however he had a fix. Now I don't know if it's a temporary fix but so far so good, it's working perfectly. He had me rest the computer by pushing on both steering wheel, volume and speed dials until the s reen dropped off. That seem to have resolved the issue for now.

Have to say I love this car, can't remember ever loving a car and I'm 71.