Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, a bit new to Tesla and I've tried to do my research but am finding conflicting info.

First question - how long after delivery do you usually start seeing updates? Mine was delivered with 2022.15.103 two weeks ago and haven't seen any updates yet. According to some Google results, it might take a few more weeks, but according to others I should be seeing updates to the latest by now. Does anyone know how it is supposed to currently work? Is there any way to get onto the latest version via Tesla support or other avenues?

Second, about versions - According to Teslascope there aren't a lot of vehicles on this version - 2022.15.103 Official Tesla Software Update | Teslascope - And it was first seen 1 or 2 weeks ago. But version 2022.16.103 was first seen a month ago. Is that normal?

Thanks!

Hi all, a bit new to Tesla and I've tried to do my research but am finding conflicting info.

First question - how long after delivery do you usually start seeing updates? Mine was delivered with 2022.15.103 two weeks ago and haven't seen any updates yet. According to some Google results, it might take a few more weeks, but according to others I should be seeing updates to the latest by now. Does anyone know how it is supposed to currently work? Is there any way to get onto the latest version via Tesla support or other avenues?

Second, about versions - According to Teslascope there aren't a lot of vehicles on this version - 2022.15.103 Official Tesla Software Update | Teslascope - And it was first seen 1 or 2 weeks ago. But version 2022.16.103 was first seen a month ago. Is that normal?

Thanks!

I've gone through many updates since 2012, and I've learned that an upgrade can be a downgrade, so I would no longer rush to be the first one to get the new firmware.

Unless you want a specific feature with a new update, I will not sweat about it.

Tesla updates yours whenever it feels like so some would get it sooner, and some would get it later. That is the norm.

Reactions: MdlYYY
Is there any way to get onto the latest version via Tesla support or other avenues?

No

Yes

Does anyone know how it is supposed to currently work?

Beside "wait sometime between 1 day and 6 weeks or so for your first update" you mean? No, no one knows specifically. The only thing we know is that it can take between 1 day and 5-6 weeks for your first update.

The reason you’re not seeing lots of cars on 2022.15.103 is because that’s a factory build, used only in newly produced cars, and not deployed to the fleet. New cars aren’t known to third party software like TeslaScope until someone takes delivery and registers their car with those services, and by then they might have already upgraded.

No

Yes

Beside "wait sometime between 1 day and 6 weeks or so for your first update" you mean? No, no one knows specifically. The only thing we know is that it can take between 1 day and 5-6 weeks for your first update.
Well.... There IS a way to force an update. You have to enter Service mode and asking for an update. On the Software screen, press and hold the Tesla icon. Service mode should start up.

Thanks!
Beware before doing any updates!

It sure seems like doing a system reboot “encourages” a software update. At least twice - including recently the 2002.40.4.1 update - it seemed to be taking a long time to get, and after a system reboot I had the update notification within a day or so.

For newbies, pushing and holding both steering wheel buttons until the screen goes blank initiates a reboot. Anecdotally, it may sometimes help with general software “wonkiness” over time.