TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Software Update Resets Range?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by lloyds, May 10, 2014.

1. lloyds

lloyds Member

So I've only recently moved up from 5.6 to 5.9 and immediately noticed that the range was altered. Previously the best I get on an 90% charge was 222 (I've never balanced the pack). Once 5.9 was updated to my +, the 90% turned to 230. Without balancing my pack, I'm now wondering if the software made certain assumptions that actually would affect my true range since my battery is out of balance. Anyone with insight on this? TIA

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

There is another long-running thread on firmware 5.9 that discusses this, among other things. Perhaps the mods could merge this post into that thread?

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Tesla simply changed how they calculate estimated range. They just tweaked how they read the raw data they collect from the battery sensors.

4. lloyds

lloyds Member

If the pack is not balanced, then wouldn't the sensors read incorrectly? Unless there is somehow a way for the sensors to tell if the pack is not balanced and adjusts for it.

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

How do you know your pack is unbalanced? And what, specifically, does an unbalanced pack mean?

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The only way to know is to balance the pack and see if the numbers improve.

An unbalanced pack means that some modules/cells have a different level of charge than others. This causes the total available energy in the pack to be lower than it should be because it's the border cases that determine how full the pack can charge (or drain going the other way). So if one module/cell is at the State of Charge (SOC) limit and the rest are only at 90%, they won't get charged anymore. At the bottom end, if one is at low SOC limit, the others won't be used either.

7. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I had no change in rated range on a full charge when moving to 5.9. Was 250 before and 250 after.

8. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

My sub 100% charge rated range miles increased on 5.9 ( e.g. 75% went from 170's to 186) but my 100% stayed the same at 252 rated.

9. wts13

wts13 Member

"Standard" (90%)? charge on my 60 went from ~176-178 to 186 after 5.9
    I feel like it was 190 new although I'm not entirely sure.