Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update stuck at 50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone is dealing with this. My model Y has been stuck at 50% downloading update 2022.44.2 (currently on 2022.40.2, in FSDb line but never got it) and I’ve tried the following waiting at least a day in between each. Has been stuck for almost a week.

1. Reboot the car via scroll wheel - this will trigger a download again but gets stuck at 50%
2. Wifi coverage is good and speed is 400mbps where the car is parked. Also tried download over hotspot, got stuck at 50% again
3. Toggle wifi while it’s stuck, nothing happens
4. Shutdown the car and come back the next day, still stuck at 50%
5. Tried leaving sentury mode on to prevent sleep.
6. Deleted games to free up storage
7. Software reinstall option through service mode does nothing, will say requesting the reinstall and then says “failed to communicate” or something along the lines about 5min later. Tried over hotspot and cars lte , not just wifi. Same thing

When I go to submit a ticket to Tesla via the app, it says it went through but nothing actually showing as scheduled.

Any other suggestions? I thought option 7 I did would for sure do something but nope

when it happens it is just checking the integrity of the downloaded file.
just wait. IMHO it is not a good idea to interfere with resets and so on.
I originally waited 2 days before trying anything else. I’ve had several teslas but never had this issue. Also the size of the update (based on network monitoring) isn’t big enough to justify churching for so long. This isn’t exactly a new update and if it took days to install, we’d know by now. At least that’s my $0.02 on why I started to look into it

Also the fact that Tesla service tickets don’t go through doesn’t help the situation

I originally waited 2 days before trying anything else. I’ve had several teslas but never had this issue. Also the size of the update (based on network monitoring) isn’t big enough to justify churching for so long. This isn’t exactly a new update and if it took days to install, we’d know by now. At least that’s my $0.02 on why I started to look into it

Also the fact that Tesla service tickets don’t go through doesn’t help the situation
I didn't understand that you waited so much time. In this case I apologise.
I can't suggest any good idea. If this would happen to me I'd go directly to the service center.. but I'm lucky: it is far 12km from my home.
Can you call the service, at least?

I can't suggest any good idea. If this would happen to me I'd go directly to the service center.. but I'm lucky: it is far 12km from my home.
Going to a service center is probably not the best course of action. Calling Tesla service would likely be better. Tesla service should be able to restart the download remotely. I believe others have posted this as a quick solution.

Reactions: zeevlad
No worries, I just wanted to share more details. I’m about an hour away from SC so trying to avoid the two hour (+time spent there) visit. Tried to call on several occasions but hung up after an hour listening to music and never getting a person. Customer service is a joke but I won’t beat the dead horse on that one.

No worries, I just wanted to share more details. I’m about an hour away from SC so trying to avoid the two hour (+time spent there) visit. Tried to call on several occasions but hung up after an hour listening to music and never getting a person. Customer service is a joke but I won’t beat the dead horse on that one.
My 2 cents: There is nothing t more that you (as user) can do (you tried even the option #7!).
There are so many causes that can bring in your situation: NAND failure? file removed from server?
I, We don't know.. only Tesla Support can dig in..

Mine also got “stuck” on this version download at 50% for about 2 hours. I called SC and was told this is an unusually large download. I asked if I could drive the car even though download was not complete, and she said it would just pick up where it left off after returning home. I did not drive the car and Let it go overnight and was done in the morning.

My Model Y gets stuck at 50% for most of the latest updates over the past 6 months. It's been stuck for hours and up to days. i haven't been able to consistently get it unstuck using any of those methods, but once or twice, disabling wifi and then rebooting seemed to help, but I doubt it really did.

My Model Y gets stuck at 50% for most of the latest updates over the past 6 months. It's been stuck for hours and up to days. i haven't been able to consistently get it unstuck using any of those methods, but once or twice, disabling wifi and then rebooting seemed to help, but I doubt it really did.
That’s unfortunate to hear. Did you try a reinstall through service mode to see if it makes any difference? I found several mentions of this issue where that helped but doesn’t work for me :/

That’s unfortunate to hear. Did you try a reinstall through service mode to see if it makes any difference? I found several mentions of this issue where that helped but doesn’t work for me :/
I've never heard of installing through service mode, I just waited until it finally finished downloading / checking, days later, and then the actual update went fine.

I've never heard of installing through service mode, I just waited until it finally finished downloading / checking, days later, and then the actual update went fine.
Just to be clear, service mode only reinstalls currently installed software (in theory, fixing whatever is causing the newer version to fail), doesn’t actually update to newer version.

Same thing happening with my MX plaid. Gets stuck at 50%

Attachments

• 20221221_100905.jpg
    20221221_100905.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 690
My issue got resolved after calling Tesla several more times and finally getting someone on the phone. To give Tesla credit, once I did get a person on the phone they were very knowledgeable, remoted into my car right away and fixed it right there. Even followed up after, which I definitely appreciate.