TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Software Update Timing?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by networx88, Jan 19, 2017.

1. networx88

networx88 Member

Curious to see other folks current experience in regards to software updates. I took delivery of a Model X about 2.5 weeks ago. In that time, I saw Elon's tweets that the entire X fleet was to receive the shadow mode update early in the week.

As I have not ever done a software update, not sure what to expect from timing. From my internal network (WiFi), I saw a large download to the car over secured HTTP (HTTP /w TLS) of approx. 1.3gb between 00:00 and 03:00 on 1/15. I have yet to see a request to complete an update (1/19 10:00), and there have not been any other large downloads. I continue to see HTTP, OpenVPN, NTP, and other expected communications from the car.

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

It could either be a map update (you should see a pop-up in the morning indicating that maps have been updated) or it could be an in-progress update being downloaded. I don't know how long it takes to verify the download before you get notified, but I would expect it within a day or two of the download completing.

3. networx88

networx88 Member

Thanks for the response. I did not get a map update note, and it has been at least 96 hours since the big download, and no significant traffic since. The car is always on a 30mb wifi connection at home and LTE on the road.

4. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

No idea how long the extraction/verification step takes. It's possible that the update verification failed and it needs to start over. There is no way to peek into the update process to figure out what is going on.

However, some people park their Tesla's as close as they can to a Tesla Service Center (SC) because Teslas are programmed to log onto the SC WiFi and download updates. It's one way to try to get an update sooner. Another option is to contact your SC and have them push an update to your car.

5. networx88

networx88 Member

Thank you everyone for your help, greatly appreciated.

6. WillK

WillK Member

You could try to reboot the Computers for the 17 screen and the dash. For the 17 screen press both scroll wheels until you see the screen go dark. It will come back on after a minute or so. Then Press above the scroll wheels and hold those until the dash goes dark. Hope that helps

7. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Also, to see lots of information on updates people are receiving and have received, check this site:

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

Once you begin receiving updates, you can add your car's info.