Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Timing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to see other folks current experience in regards to software updates. I took delivery of a Model X about 2.5 weeks ago. In that time, I saw Elon's tweets that the entire X fleet was to receive the shadow mode update early in the week.

As I have not ever done a software update, not sure what to expect from timing. From my internal network (WiFi), I saw a large download to the car over secured HTTP (HTTP /w TLS) of approx. 1.3gb between 00:00 and 03:00 on 1/15. I have yet to see a request to complete an update (1/19 10:00), and there have not been any other large downloads. I continue to see HTTP, OpenVPN, NTP, and other expected communications from the car.

It could either be a map update (you should see a pop-up in the morning indicating that maps have been updated) or it could be an in-progress update being downloaded. I don't know how long it takes to verify the download before you get notified, but I would expect it within a day or two of the download completing.

No idea how long the extraction/verification step takes. It's possible that the update verification failed and it needs to start over. There is no way to peek into the update process to figure out what is going on.

However, some people park their Tesla's as close as they can to a Tesla Service Center (SC) because Teslas are programmed to log onto the SC WiFi and download updates. It's one way to try to get an update sooner. Another option is to contact your SC and have them push an update to your car.

You could try to reboot the Computers for the 17 screen and the dash. For the 17 screen press both scroll wheels until you see the screen go dark. It will come back on after a minute or so. Then Press above the scroll wheels and hold those until the dash goes dark. Hope that helps

For my model X, the software update progress is stuck at 5% and wouldn’t continue. I am on 2019.32.12.2 and trying to download 2019 .40.50.7
None of the resets (soft or hard) or power off actions fixed this
I even tried connecting to Tesla Service WiFi at a local service ( in case my home WiFi is not working - but downloaded previous updates just fine)

any thoughts?

Hi Olegus,

Use your Tesla App to schedule a service appointment.
In the drop down choose "software"
then choose "update"
and note in the comments section that the download failed and disappeared.

Probably tomorrow they will reset and resend the update to your car...

Good luck,

Shawn