Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an alert on the Tesla App indicating that a software update is available. Anyone know what it is?

If I didn't have a super important meeting tomorrow morning, I would download it and see what it is, but I don't want to take any chances that it will affect my ability to get where I need to go tomorrow morning (like requiring me to learn new features)

I heard AP 8.0 might be coming out Wednesday; this wouldn't be it, would it?

2.36.31 was released to address a remote hack of the vehicle discovered by some pretty sharp white hat hackers in China. This is the first known hack that didn't require access to the physical vehicle.

Security researchers from China remotely hacked a Tesla Model S

The article says "Tesla patched up the exploit when they rolled out their Firmware 7.1 update earlier this year." So if it was fixed earlier this year then I'm wondering if the hacking situation is not what prompted the update that's been going out the past couple of days.

The article says "Tesla patched up the exploit when they rolled out their Firmware 7.1 update earlier this year." So if it was fixed earlier this year then I'm wondering if the hacking situation is not what prompted the update that's been going out the past couple of days.
BGR mixed up this security flaw with the first one that required physical access. That was patched a while ago. Electrek.co generally has more accurate articles (First Tesla Model S remotely controlled by hackers, Tesla already pushed a fix). BGR is pretty hit or miss.

This new hack was patched with 2.36.31 being quickly rolled out since Sunday.

From Tesla:

“Within just 10 days of receiving this report, Tesla has already deployed an over-the-air software update (v7.1, 2.36.31) that addresses the potential security issues."

BGR mixed up this security flaw with the first one that required physical access. That was patched a while ago. Electrek.co generally has more accurate articles (First Tesla Model S remotely controlled by hackers, Tesla already pushed a fix). BGR is pretty hit or miss.

This new hack was patched with 2.36.31 being quickly rolled out since Sunday.

From Tesla:

“Within just 10 days of receiving this report, Tesla has already deployed an over-the-air software update (v7.1, 2.36.31) that addresses the potential security issues."

Thanks for the clarification. :)