Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update v8.1 2018.32.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am now certain that 2018.32.2 handles the braking at traffic lights where there are cars ahead of me better than earlier firmware versions did. It still brakes more quickly than I'd like, but not as abruptly as before. And if I'm following a moving car as it comes to a stop, AP slows down as smoothly as I could want.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Speaking of fog lights, is there a way to turn just to fog lights on, without the headlights?
To what end? A fog light does not meet the legal definition for a headlight. So if you are using the fog light without the headlight, then you legally are driving without your headlights on, and can be ticketed for driving without headlights. So just trying to figure out in what circumstance this would be useful.

To what end? A fog light does not meet the legal definition for a headlight. So if you are using the fog light without the headlight, then you legally are driving without your headlights on, and can be ticketed for driving without headlights. So just trying to figure out in what circumstance this would be useful.

Agreed. Here's what California's DMV says about the subject:

California Driver Handbook - Special Driving Situations
Driving in the Fog
The best advice for driving in the fog is DON’T. You should consider postponing your trip until the fog clears. However, if you must drive, then drive slow, turn on your windshield wipers, and use your low-beam headlights. The light from the high-beam headlights will reflect back and cause glare.

Never drive with just your parking or fog lights.

After driving the same (non freeway) roads with 32.2 for a bit, I must say it seems to be handling tight curves better than the firmware I was using in June and July.

I suspect that lowering max speed just before tight curves may account for some of the perception, but now there are fewer curves (on same stretches of road) where I need to adjust max speed (or just turn off auto steer.)

Automatically slowing for off ramps is some of this because now auto steer can now on its own manage PA turnpike two lane exit that has very tight greater than 90 degree curve .

Reactions: Falkirk
I am now certain that 2018.32.2 handles the braking at traffic lights where there are cars ahead of me better than earlier firmware versions did. It still brakes more quickly than I'd like, but not as abruptly as before. And if I'm following a moving car as it comes to a stop, AP slows down as smoothly as I could want.

I think AP will detect the slightest movement of the car in front of you and in front of that car and will slow down.

However until Tesla vision states it can use image recognition to stop based on brake lights or other factors that doesn’t require movement, I am not leaving it to chance.

Even 99% fidelity is not enough to let the guard down.

Symptoms of breaking for overpasses or running into the back of stopped fire trucks or known limitations of EAP not handling “fixed” objects well.

... until Tesla vision states it can use image recognition to stop based on brake lights or other factors that doesn’t require movement, I am not leaving it to chance.

Even 99% fidelity is not enough to let the guard down.

Of course, with level 2 autonomy you must never let your guard down. But even with the more-abrupt braking than I'd prefer, I still have plenty of room to brake if I wait for it to brake and it doesn't do it. I find myself using AP in the city more and more. Always alert and never let my guard down, but it still makes for a less-stressful driving experience. There are places I don't use it, but for the main thoroughfares it does extremely well.

My most frequent intervention is to touch the go pedal when the car is reluctant to get going, or to resume speed when a car has gotten out of my way, or when it slows down because a car crossed my lane far ahead.

Reactions: landis
I took my car in for a "headlight doesnt turn off" bug and was upgraded to 2018.34.1

Curious, did you also experience issues with Autopilot as well with this issue? The same thing is happening with me I think. Headlights will always stay on in auto mode. Autopilot is unavailable as well

I’m on 32.2 and didn’t get this issue until this update

Last edited:
Agreed. Here's what California's DMV says about the subject:

California Driver Handbook - Special Driving Situations
Driving in the Fog
The best advice for driving in the fog is DON’T. You should consider postponing your trip until the fog clears. However, if you must drive, then drive slow, turn on your windshield wipers, and use your low-beam headlights. The light from the high-beam headlights will reflect back and cause glare.

Never drive with just your parking or fog lights.

Codes Display Text.

In fact the vehicle code also spells it out. You cannot operate the fog lights in lieu of low-beam headlights. Fog lights are only approved for use in conjunction with low-beams and the same conditions that allow you to turn on your fog lights are the conditions where low-beams are required anyway...

I received firmware update notice (from 2018.32.2) this morning (9/11) and it failed and asking to contact Service Center.
I still can drive but cruise control and AP are not functional so I assume the update includes AI board software.

My update this morning also failed. I haven't driven it again yet, though I will in a few hours.
I asked question through tesla.com manage page. Curious if I will get a response.