Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Version Info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is a newbie question...

My car told me earlier this week that a new version of software is available for install, but I couldn't see any version number info or notes about what the update will change.

I'm a cautious upgrader and want to research people's opinions before updating.

How can I find out what version it's trying to install?

Thanks!

Reactions: apacheguy
Thanks. And. Woah.

Interesting choice on Tesla's part to obscure any detail of what the update would bring.

I just got my car a week ago and out the gate it appears to have 8.0 since it has the flatter design.

I didn't pay for EAP 2 so I'm guessing it's not that.

Any guess of what my update might be?

Thanks. And. Woah.

Interesting choice on Tesla's part to obscure any detail of what the update would bring.

I just got my car a week ago and out the gate it appears to have 8.0 since it has the flatter design.

Can you go check what your current software version is? It will help give an educated guess of what software update you have pending.

It could be the same version that was being pushed to some of the cars, including AP2 cars, last week. Just because you don't have AP2 doesn't mean you won't wind up with a firmware version that has the same version number. The actual firmware you receive will have features that match your car.

Based on the Firmware Upgrade Tracker, my guess is that it is firmware version 8.0.2.50.114 or later, but not 8.0.2.50.185, as that only started being pushed late on December 31, and it sounds like you received notification of your update before then.

I'm on 8.0 (2.48.109) if that helps.
You're probably getting 2.50.180

2.50.185 is only for AP2 cars

For them to give you release notes prior to install they would have to actually publish release notes for each update.

Tesla doesn't want you to choose whether or not to update, they want you to just do it whenever possible. Fortunately there have only been a few updates that had any significant bugs. (although quite a few that have removed AP functionality)

They either want it to be more invisible, or they are choosing to focus on other areas of improving their business as they grow (or both). I hope it's more the second scenario.

With modern computers, helping the user feel in control is the current norm by letting them know what changes will be implemented with a release.

If Tesla can consistently release bug-free updates in an order of magnitude better than the norm established by other leading software companies that would be great.

Until then, I hope they get around to changing the level of their update clarity. I'm even more cautious about updating my car than I am my notebook.

Sorry if this is a newbie question...

My car told me earlier this week that a new version of software is available for install, but I couldn't see any version number info or notes about what the update will change.

I'm a cautious upgrader and want to research people's opinions before updating.

How can I find out what version it's trying to install?

Thanks!
Most updates aren't new versions at all, just builds with minor bug fixes that don't have any new functionality. Just accept the updates to install overnight and don't worry about it. Also dont worry if you don't get a new build that someone describes here. Not every update is intended for every car, some are configuration specific.