Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update w/ premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

New tesla owner here (took delivery last Friday). I noticed my firmware version is quite old compared to those discussed here. I'm on 2019.15...

I wonder if I need to connect to my home wifi in order to receive updates? It's very difficult for me because of where my parking spot is (I live in a townhouse but the parking spot is far away)

Based on my understanding updates are pushed through cellular too with premium connectivity.

By the way I'm located in Vancouver Canada.

If you are connected to wifi, you have a higher chance to get the update.

I actually logged on and asked Support as I had been on an older software myself, and they were able to push me the newest update right away. Got it in the few hours, so its worth asking. Go here: Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

And wait for their live chat and ask them! Won't hurt to ask! Have your VIN ready.

Good luck!
I too am from Vancouver

• Informative
Reactions: samcvan
Hi,

New tesla owner here (took delivery last Friday). I noticed my firmware version is quite old compared to those discussed here. I'm on 2019.15...

I wonder if I need to connect to my home wifi in order to receive updates? It's very difficult for me because of where my parking spot is (I live in a townhouse but the parking spot is far away)

Based on my understanding updates are pushed through cellular too with premium connectivity.

You can also connect via a WiFi hotspot on your cell phone. Not ideal, however some people have claimed it’s a successful strategy. It can also be done while your driving.

Hi,

I took delivery on June 30th, car was built on June 16th I believe - but same firmware revision 2019.15.x. Also attempted to talk with Support via chat, they informed me there were no pending updates. Looking at Teslafi, I'm starting to wonder if this is indeed one of the latest Firmware's for HW3/AP3 on the Model 3.

I won't swear this to be true--sort of extrapolating from what I've read here and on the Tesla forum.

With a car that new, you have the HW3 computer. Most of us don't. I think 2019.15 may be the most recent software for the HW3. Can anyone verify whether that's true or I'm nuts?

Reactions: Elixir
I'm trying to connect to a chat support and I've been waiting for like 10 min without anyone showing up on their end.

And yes, I'm on HW3 (verified using the H265 codec method). And thanks to CharleyBC and nepenthe for the info regarding HW3 firmware. I guess I don't really have to worry about anything based on this.

The reason I asked was because of a very unpleasant AP experience I had 2 days ago. The car jerked me to the left lane on a city street (2-lane each direction) for no reason. It happened at an intersection (road curves to the left after the intersection) and I was on the right lane using AP trying to get to a body shop for window tinting. There were no cars in sight at the intersection.. just me because it was quite early in the morning. It was peace and quiet and my car moving at speed limit. All of a sudden my model 3 swerved to the left lane in a very abrupt manner after the intersection and scared the *sugar* out of me.

And later in the day after my window tinting is done, I started AP on the way home and a few very stupid phantom brakes really made me feel uncomfortable using AP on city streets. That's why I hoped maybe an update could smooth out the AP functions for my tesla.

I won't swear this to be true--sort of extrapolating from what I've read here and on the Tesla forum.

With a car that new, you have the HW3 computer. Most of us don't. I think 2019.15 may be the most recent software for the HW3. Can anyone verify whether that's true or I'm nuts?
No, that's not the case. I have HW3 and am on 2019.20.4.2. Mine was also delivered with 2019.15 in late May, but I've received 3 updates since over WiFi.

Using your Tesla App, submit a service ticket, ensure you cars WiFi is on. You should get an update within 2 to 3 hours.

530443B0-D60E-43A9-99CC-FB45AFFEB22B.jpeg

Drive down to a Star Bucks or somewhere with WiFi like a shopping center with a movie theater and let it sit there for a while.

Maybe set your phone as a WiFi hotspot. Either way should work, I’ve received updates via LTE at work.

Fred

I took delivery on June 30th, car was built on June 16th I believe - but same firmware revision 2019.15.x. Also attempted to talk with Support via chat, they informed me there were no pending updates. Looking at Teslafi, I'm starting to wonder if this is indeed one of the latest Firmware's for HW3/AP3 on the Model 3.

I was at the service center on Saturday and asked about firmware update as I am on 2019.15.103 and was told it is up to date and there was nothing pending...

I know others appear to be way ahead so not sure why this is considered the latest for me but it is.. They offered to repush it but that made no sense to me so I declined...

FWIW I also have HW3 and was confirmed by the service center...

Reactions: Elixir
I was at the service center on Saturday and asked about firmware update as I am on 2019.15.103 and was told it is up to date and there was nothing pending...

I know others appear to be way ahead so not sure why this is considered the latest for me but it is.. They offered to repush it but that made no sense to me so I declined...

FWIW I also have HW3 and was confirmed by the service center...

Nah, everyone I’ve read on here that started with 2019.15 have been updated already. Submit a service ticket like I posted above and wait for it.

2019.15 is so far behind... you should be at 2019.20.4.2

My March build started at 2019.8.6.1, and I’ve received all of the current updates, currently 2019.20.4.2 SR+ HW2.5

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: OCR1
I took delivery on the 31st and my car was built the 27th. I'm in the same boat as you. I've been connected to my home wifi since I got home on the 31st and still nothing.

I was going to submit a ticket but backed out as it tried to schedule a service vehicle to my house. Can anyone confirm that's normal and no one will show up and they'll just push it to me?

Nah, everyone I’ve read on here that started with 2019.15 have been updated already. Submit a service ticket like I posted above and wait for it.

2019.15 is so far behind... you should be at 2019.20.4.2

My March build started at 2019.8.6.1, and I’ve received all of the current updates, currently 2019.20.4.2 SR+ HW2.5

Fred

I assume Tesla service knows what they are talking about so I have no reason to doubt them.. They offered to push the most recent which was the exact same I currently have. You might not believe that to be true but I have no reason to doubt them...

Yes, you should connect to Wi-Fi, that's pretty much the only way that most updates will occur. Some critical ones may occur over cellular, but they are probably far in-between (costs Tesla a lot to do the update).
No, I don't believe that you can get the update while driving.