Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update w/ premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not know if it is possible or not to get a download for a software update while driving and being connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot.
I do know that you can connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot while driving because we lost our LTE capability a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to be a hardware issue. But there was no problem connecting to Wi-Fi. They had to replace the “connectivity board”. Prior to having the service center replace the bad part, we were able to use a Wi-Fi hotspot connection to an iPhone to allow for navigation, voice commands and streaming music etc. while driving. Although I don’t see that there would be any reason why it couldn’t be done.
Installation of updates does not require any connectivity once the download shows up on the car. Tesla may just not allow it to happen for whatever reason. I’m sure that very often a download is in process when people get in their car and drive away from the Wi-Fi network that it is connected to. I don’t really know whether it continues on LTE at that point or completely aborts or if it just pauses until it returns to the Wi-Fi network.

If your car happens to be a model 3. My one suggestion is if you decide to use your phone as a hotspot is to turn off the Bluetooth so that it does not act as a key which would leave your car vulnerable.
Simply use your Key card or a Key Fob if you have one to access the car to retrieve your phone Etc.
Also do your best to keep the phone out of view from the windows…

Reactions: calidreamz808
I took delivery on the 31st and my car was built the 27th. I'm in the same boat as you. I've been connected to my home wifi since I got home on the 31st and still nothing.

I was going to submit a ticket but backed out as it tried to schedule a service vehicle to my house. Can anyone confirm that's normal and no one will show up and they'll just push it to me?

Go ahead and submit the request through the app. They will push it remotely. Nobody is going to come to your house to do a firmware update.

Hi,

New tesla owner here (took delivery last Friday). I noticed my firmware version is quite old compared to those discussed here. I'm on 2019.15...

I wonder if I need to connect to my home wifi in order to receive updates? It's very difficult for me because of where my parking spot is (I live in a townhouse but the parking spot is far away)

Based on my understanding updates are pushed through cellular too with premium connectivity.

By the way I'm located in Vancouver Canada.
So what car do you actually have? Is it a Model 3 with hardware three or is it an S or X Raven (Active Air Suspension/ rear induction motor / front permanent magnet motor)
The reason I ask is because I have a friend who got a raven model S and her firmware was also a bit stuck in the past.
I assumed that they aren’t quite up to speed on unifying the code to include some of the new hardware yet. I did help her to get a Wi-Fi extender working in her garage a few weeks ago. I’ll double check with her to see if she’s gotten any software updates.

I was going to submit a ticket but backed out as it tried to schedule a service vehicle to my house. Can anyone confirm that's normal and no one will show up and they'll just push it to me?

That’s normal to complete the ticket, they won’t come out and once the update is pushed over the WiFi, you can delete the ticket as completed.

Fred

Someone submitted a ticket, goes to show you how much that Portland SC knows, “oh it’s up to date” LOL
That new update below was a model 3 in Idaho.

C6D76BC2-75D5-4534-BF73-1E1DA731153C.jpeg

I have a model 3 AWD. I was gonna submit a ticket according to the instructions posted by Wennfred and at the last step it just said "An error occured." So the mobile schedule request didn't go through... I tried twice, same result both times and will try again tomorrow morning :(.

I do not think the people we have access to at Tesla know much. Having dealt with quite a few of them, every single time it took quite an effort to get accurate info (sales, delivery, service - they are all the same - lacking attention to detail). They were not trained properly. I got more help from the community here (and on reddit) every single time. A simple question posted here beats 10 phone calls and the agony of not being able to get a straight answer to a simple question in a timely manner (what's the build date? what's the HW version....).

I was gonna buy a model X but cancelled the order due to an unpleasant sales experience:mad:. Ordered a second time and Tesla cancelled it (delivery weren't willing to accommodate my trip schedule to pick up an inventory car:(). So I decided to try a less expensive Tesla first to avoid huge regrets down the road. So far the car beats my expectations - minus the AP part - to me it's close to garbage - sorry for the emotional remark but *sugar* happened on a highway multiple times today. I learned not to trust AP on city streets until I get a software update but today it failed multiple times on the highway.

But what's really lacking is the human factors at Tesla. I believe everyone here knows what I'm talking about. Model 3 itself is really the best car I've ever driven. I don't think the current S/X has any advantages over it, techwise.

I guess it's not only Portland SC that is clueless according to you as Tesla customer support said the same.. Look I get it you want to be right and sound like you know what you are talking about but in this instance you do not....

I called them yesterday and asked them if they could go ahead and push the most current firmware to me. They did... I got it.... and..... 2019.15.103 is what I 'updated' to which was exactly as they said... It's the latest for my car and configuration...

Keep pounding your chest and giving out false info if you'd like as the only thing you are doing is having people wate their time for something that won't happen...
Yup, can confirm same behavior. I actually scheduled service for a Software Update as he had suggested, received a notification this morning from the App that an update was pending, applied the update and was apparently re-pushed the same 2019.15.103 firmware. So I think my original suspicions are indeed accurate.

Reactions: LunkHead
you know what? I actually got pushed a new version. I wasn't able to successfully request a service via the app, but 2 hours ago I saw a new update available. I just didn't have a reliable wifi connection so I only downloaded half way. Will resume tomorrow and will report back what version it is. I am currently on 2019.15.103.

Thanks Fred! I couldn't wait so I used my phone to complete the update. The new version I got is 2019.20.4.4. I'm going to test the AP now.

2019.15.103 is definitely not current and the AP function that comes with it is very unreliable.

Thanks again!

Thanks Fred! I couldn't wait so I used my phone to complete the update. The new version I got is 2019.20.4.4. I'm going to test the AP now.

2019.15.103 is definitely not current and the AP function that comes with it is very unreliable.

Thanks again!
I had a good feeling it would be 2019.4.4 since it’s going out now, I will probably see that soon myself, cool you got it finally, I wonder if Portland got his.

By the way Samcvan, what version car do you have?

As far as your AP, it will get better as time goes.

Fred

If your car happens to be a model 3. My one suggestion is if you decide to use your phone as a hotspot is to turn off the Bluetooth so that it does not act as a key which would leave your car vulnerable.
Simply use your Key card or a Key Fob if you have one to access the car to retrieve your phone Etc.
Also do your best to keep the phone out of view from the windows…
I forgot my phone in the car once and when I went back the car was locked and wouldn’t open, Luckly I had my key card with me. I guess when the phone sleeps, it shuts down the fob.

Fred

I forgot my phone in the car once and when I went back the car was locked and wouldn’t open, Luckly I had my key card with me. I guess when the phone sleeps, it shuts down the fob.

Fred
I’m guessing it’s more likely, just basic security.
Imagine you were in the car with your phone with the doors locked. You would hope that someone couldn’t just walk up to the door and open it because your phone was inside the car. My guess is that the car knows when you’re approaching it from outside the car with a phone key to unlock it. In a recent interview, Elon Musk mentioned how the Model X only opens the front door if it detects your coming at an angle towards the door. He said if you were just walking by in a straight line it wouldn’t open the door. So perhaps some similar technology is in place for passive entry using a phone/key for the Model 3.

I have a model 3 AWD, early June build date. Used to be on 15.103, now 20.4.4

I just tested AP again on the street and highway. It's smoother now (no phantom braking so far), TACC braking is more gradual, but Autosteer still sucks on city street. It follows cars in front without much trouble, but when it comes to intersection with left turn lanes (with dedicated left turn light) it's not fun. I was on a straight lane (can't turn left on this lane) and I got cars in front to follow. As my car went through the intersection with the rest of the cars, it suddenly decided to turn left. I had to steer it back otherwise I'd be in front of the on coming traffic. This is a bad mistake because not only did it make a mistake (why did it suddenly decide not to follow the cars in front?), it exposed the driver to danger.

I'm totally aware everything is beta with AP / FSD. And I know AP is supposed to be highway only... but isn't FSD supposed to be available by the end of the year? I'm not hopeful at all. I like the car a lot, but not the autonomy aspects.

I'm totally aware everything is beta with AP / FSD. And I know AP is supposed to be highway only... but isn't FSD supposed to be available by the end of the year? I'm not hopeful at all. I like the car a lot, but not the autonomy aspects.

On YouTube there people using FSD already and you have HW3, so it will take a while to learn your routes in your area, so keep data sharing on.

Fred

Thanks again!
You're certain you have HW3?

I actually got another update this morning, I went from 2019.15.103 to 2019.15.104 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Perhaps there's additional revisions of HW3? As I'm not too sure what the differences are in architecture from Tesla's custom SOC and the previous Nvidia parts, but as a Systems Engineer by trade, I could understand if there's more to do than just additional certification, but more to align the code-bases across the hardware revisions while utilizing the same data-set for the Deep Neural Net.

You're certain you have HW3?

I actually got another update this morning, I went from 2019.15.103 to 2019.15.104 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Perhaps there's additional revisions of HW3? As I'm not too sure what the differences are in architecture from Tesla's custom SOC and the previous Nvidia parts, but as a Systems Engineer by trade, I could understand if there's more to do than just additional certification, but more to align the code-bases across the hardware revisions while utilizing the same data-set for the Deep Neural Net.

I've not gotten the update yet but I assume I will at some point.. Anything noteworthy change going to 104?

Something is definitely different with our cars as we appear to be on an odd update path...