Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

New Model 3 owner here (Got delivery yesterday).

My software is currently stuck at :

1. Car has wi-fi connected. (Did speed test to confirm)
  2. App shows connect to wifi for software update.
But upgrades are not going through.

Any idea what might be causing this ? How do I get to latest software.

Thanks

First, congratulations on your new Tesla!

I wouldn't worry too much about this - it will come when it comes. There are a lot of people (myself included) that didn't get their first updates for several days or even weeks (mine was about 3 weeks). And this was back in August when there wasn't the crunch of new cars like there is right now.

• Informative
Reactions: sunnyvale76
First, congratulations on your new Tesla!

I wouldn't worry too much about this - it will come when it comes. There are a lot of people (myself included) that didn't get their first updates for several days or even weeks (mine was about 3 weeks). And this was back in August when there wasn't the crunch of new cars like there is right now.
OP already has their VIN flagged for an update - see the bit about it showing in the app. Sounds like the problem is with the download itself. Standard troubleshooting would be to reboot and, if that doesn’t help, to ask Tesla to re-push it by scheduling a service appointment via the app.

• Informative
Reactions: sunnyvale76
Chill, it will come when it wants to.
Watched pot .....

This OP says the car has already said "connect to wifi to download update". Thats quite a bit different than others asking about getting the update their car has not been flagged for yet.

OP, here are a couple things you can try:

1a. Try forgetting the wifi connection to your network in the car, and re connect.

1b. Ensure that you are connecting to your wifi on the 2.4ghz connection, not the 5 ghz one. Your car will connect to both, but I have had issues trying to get updates on 5ghz while 2.4 works fine.

2. Ensure you have a good connection where you are parking. 1 bar isnt enough for example. Your car can show a connection, but it is possible its not a good one. Run a speed test while connected using the car browser if your browser is active in your car.

3. Once you have done both the above, try to reboot the car by holding both steering wheel buttons till you see the screen go black. Re start the car by stepping on the brake.

4. Try shutting the car down fully using the "power off" setting on the screen. Once you power it off, let sit for at least 15 minutes (30 minutes would be better) to allow the car to fully go to sleep. Come back after that time, then start the car again.

If none of the above work, then I would schedule an appointment using the app, use software update as the type. This is not normally a productive thing to do if the car is not prompting you to update already, but once it has prompted you, like yours has, sometimes the update is corrupt and needs to be re pushed by tesla.

This OP says the car has already said "connect to wifi to download update". Thats quite a bit different than others asking about getting the update their car has not been flagged for yet.

1a. Try forgetting the wifi connection to your network in the car, and re connect.

1b. Ensure that you are connecting to your wifi on the 2.4ghz connection, not the 5 ghz one. Your car will connect to both, but I have had issues trying to get updates on 5ghz while 2.4 works fine.

2. Ensure you have a good connection where you are parking. 1 bar isnt enough for example. Your car can show a connection, but it is possible its not a good one. Run a speed test while connected using the car browser if your browser is active in your car.

3. Once you have done both the above, try to reboot the car by holding both steering wheel buttons till you see the screen go black. Re start the car by stepping on the brake.

4. Try shutting the car down fully using the "power off" setting on the screen. Once you power it off, let sit for at least 15 minutes (30 minutes would be better) to allow the car to fully go to sleep. Come back after that time, then start the car again.

If none of the above work, then I would schedule an appointment using the app, use software update as the type. This is not normally a productive thing to do if the car is not prompting you to update already, but once it has prompted you, like yours has, sometimes the update is corrupt and needs to be re pushed by tesla.

Will try tomorrow and report back.

I'll completely standby my statement. The car just isn't seeing it advertised yet. Nothing that you can do in the car will get it to magically appear. You just have to wait for it to be advertised.

I'll completely standby my statement. The car just isn't seeing it advertised yet. Nothing that you can do in the car will get it to magically appear. You just have to wait for it to be advertised.

Then we will just have to agree to disagree... because if the car says "connect to wifi to download update", it IS advertised to the car, but it appears you dont think that is the case.

Where we agree is, there is nothing anyone can do to force the update to be advertised. Once it IS advertised, we get a notice to connect to wifi to download it. I think we may be not understanding each other for some reason, because I know you know this.

You are smarter than 99% of IT people. So smarter than 99.9999% of the populace at troubleshooting. :D

You are smarter than 99% of IT people. So smarter than 99.9999% of the populace at troubleshooting. :D
IT People.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Airgetlam
We need a sticky for this topic.
Which topic? Most of the major iterations of firmware get their own sticky.

If about stuck updates, there really needs to be a central "how to" section for the topics that repeatedly get brought up. That is something I wish was around when I first signed up for TMC and have thought about quite a bit.

If about IT people are just better at Googling things, well, that's what Reddit is for.