Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@NY_Rob has it right. Since the downloads are determined by the mothership, it makes no difference how long you've had it...could be waiting for you when it is picked up or be a week or 2 later. Mine was probably a week or so later.

You can see what the current version(s) are being downloaded, so you know how far behind you are...the further behind, the more likely you should get one sooner rather than later...

I am curious how long does it usually take to receive your first update to current software once you take delivery of the car?

Mine came in that evening that I picked it up. It took a couple of hours for them to activate my online account with the app, but after that and me changing to Advanced. It popped right up if i wanted to install it.

After that they are all over the place. Some have taken as long as 7 days for me to get, other times, it has skipped the update and gotten the newest revision the next day it shows up. No rhyme or reason.

I went 4 weeks and my software was about 3 updates behind when I picked it up. I was told to wait and eventually I would get it. 4 weeks went by and I felt that something was "stuck". I messaged the service center and a day later, they pushed the latest update within the hour. Been getting regular updates since then.

I'm going to guess that your specific car won't be scheduled for any update until, somehow, its VIN has made it into the scheduling system after the car is born. My MY LRAWD was born this Friday (3/19/21), delivered Sunday (3/21/21) and is showing 2020.47.104 and "Your software is up to date as of Mar 21:12:05". From TeslaFi fleet info I know much, much newer 2021 SW exists, but it is not (yet?) being offered to me.

One could wonder why a relatively newly produced car comes with relatively old software?

Another possible reason is that there is something different about this build and they "forked" the software back when to deal with the new components (heated steering wheel, possibly larger battery pack), and haven't merged that SW development branch back into the mainstream for some reason. Dunno, just speculating.

One could wonder why a relatively newly produced car comes with relatively old software?
It’s the last stable release version; meaning this version has been validated and any issues with that version of the software is at least known and documented. Newer versions of the SW may still have unknown bugs and you probably don’t want to have new customer have a bad delivery experience because of a software bug.

I got my first update about 1.5 week after taking deliver bringing it up to the same version as most of the rest of the fleet.