Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SOFTWARE UPDATE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I tell if I need a software update? I can't see it on my app nor in my car's screen. Does that mean i have the latest software update? Does it say, "Your software is up to date?" Advanced thanks!!

The car will tell you if it has an update staged for you. If it doesnt say it has one for you, in most cases, your car is not ready to get it... no matter what you read about different software versions "seen on teslafi or tesla scope or whatever".

IMG_1855.jpeg

Or you could sit in the car for half an hour to watch it do things (its very boring! )

I strongly recommend NOT doing this.

If you enjoy eating sausage, you shouldn’t see it being made.

Same with Tesla firmware updates. The clunks, clicks, whirs and boatload of error messages as systems come back online can be downright terrifying.

Best to stay indoors, have a glass of wine and check the car in the morning. :)

Same with Tesla firmware updates. The clunks, clicks, whirs and boatload of error messages as systems come back online can be downright terrifying.

It is entertaining to do it once - just realize that interacting with the car may mess with the installation process.
As you say, there are so many clunks, clicks and assorted whirring sounds - you can play "name that sound"
Once you've done it once you realize its just easier to trigger the update from your phone and wait for the "Software update complete" notification and do something more useful instead :D

As another game, try sitting in your garage for while. Read a book or something, just listen to the various noises your car makes while its "off" - then you'll understand all those threads on here about those crazy noises.

It is entertaining to do it once - just realize that interacting with the car may mess with the installation process.
As you say, there are so many clunks, clicks and assorted whirring sounds - you can play "name that sound"
Once you've done it once you realize its just easier to trigger the update from your phone and wait for the "Software update complete" notification and do something more useful instead :D

As another game, try sitting in your garage for while. Read a book or something, just listen to the various noises your car makes while its "off" - then you'll understand all those threads on here about those crazy noises.

Entertaining isn't the word I'd choose but you're right - it definitely helps you understand all the subsystems going on behind the scenes. But it can be downright terrifying! I haven't sat in-car for an update in a few years but in the olden days at least, the MCU would throw all kinds of errors about brake systems and actuators and stuff being offline. It eventually all cleared up to nothing but watching the errors fly by was both amusing and terrifying all at once. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Like everyone else I guess, I get a message on my iPhone when a software update is ready and I move the car a little closer to my house (from the detached garage) so it picks up the wi-fi signal easily. Then I get out, lock the car, and walk away so as not to interact with it during the process. When my phone says it's done, I'm ready to go. I've had my M3 for almost 3 months, and have had 3 updates. Each one has taken about 25-30 minutes.

I have been in Atlanta many times and I never saw a soul playing tennis
Also just noticed that when I took this pic I was parked near the Supercharger in Atlantic Station. I was actually condo shopping and the day I decided on my condo. So my actual parking place is only about 200' away from the Supercharger. Also since I live in a high rise and my car is in the parking deck I don't have Wi-Fi so I must hotspot my iPhone when I get an update notice (Yellow Download Arrow).

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 6.27.34 AM.png

IMG_1855.jpeg

Last edited:
Also just noticed that when I took this pic I was parked near the Supercharger in Atlantic Station. I was actually condo shopping and the day I decided on my condo. So my actual parking place is only about 200' away from the Supercharger. Also since I live in a high rise and my car is in the parking deck I don't have Wi-Fi so I must hotspot my iPhone when I get an update notice (Yellow Download Arrow).

View attachment 619681
View attachment 619682

I was going to post something similar. Atlanta is pretty big for tennis.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz

LOL. I went through my first update today. Just let the car do its thing while I tinkered in the garage. Wife came out to yell at me for some reason of course. The car was goin through one of its audible cycles. She just said. "what's wrong with the car" I said it wasn't doing it until you came out". She left and let me be in piece. Lol

I didn't know about it, always had my updates run in the garage and, naturally, I would not like to sit in the car in my garage for 30 minutes.
But I was sitting in the car during supercharging in cold temps in mountains. The pooping sound of the battery was terrifying, I thought first we all gonna die.