Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SOFTWARE UPDATE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so I gotta start this post with a Disclaimer. I have zero proof that this is how Tesla does things. It’s a complete guess on my part.

I THINK that cars new off of the assembly line are delivered with a firmware version not normally seen in the wild because it is a special “Break In Period” version that monitors certain systems to make sure that they break-in/calibrate correctly. This firmware stays active until either a certain number of miles has accrued on the car, or a certain number of days have past. At that point, the car enters the normal firmware update pool.

Even though the car says “your software is up to date” doesn’t necessarily mean that it really is. There might be a newer version out, but your car is waiting in line to get it.

It will 100 percent work. The issue is that people don’t wait the full two weeks after doing it.

Come on, you want to go with that joke enough to give me a disagree for it? Software updates come once every 2-3 weeks without intervention and you know this, so not sure why you would go so far as to mark me down for telling the truth.

edit: appreciate you changing it, lol. FWIW I thought the joke was funny :)

Last edited:
Reactions: qdeathstar
It is obvious that I gladly gave up internet services because of horrific cost and at 78 years old have an iPhone 12 max pro because my WONDERFUL Sales Woman said “ this is good “. ?, that is never asked/ answered: (premium connectivity) Will my fully loaded Prepaid S, self update “ Software Update available “, All by itself.

It is obvious that I gladly gave up internet services because of horrific cost and at 78 years old have an iPhone 12 max pro because my WONDERFUL Sales Woman said “ this is good “. ?, that is never asked/ answered: (premium connectivity) Will my fully loaded Prepaid S, self update “ Software Update available “, All by itself.

If I understand your question, the answer is "not without you connecting your car to the wifi hotspot on your phone when you have an update ready".

The "slightly" longer answer is that only safety and security updates generally update over cellular. You will need to connect to " some" wifi to get them. The good news is, the car should tell you if it has an update for you to download, THEN you can connect to your phones wifi hotspot. At least, this is true for the model 3 (and this is the model 3 forum).

It should be true for the model S as well, but you might want to ask in that forum to be sure.

Reactions: Phlier

If you don’t live too far from a Tesla service center, one solution is to just drive there and park in the parking lot. The car will automatically connect to the service center’s WiFi and can download updates that way.

Reactions: Phlier
If you don’t live too far from a Tesla service center, one solution is to just drive there and park in the parking lot. The car will automatically connect to the service center’s WiFi and can download updates that way.
Yup. And there are actually quite a few places you can go that have public WiFi available to do your updates. Most Starbucks that have an outside seating area have an outside WiFi router to serve those customers.
Gah. I updated last night, and now my phone Bluetooth won’t auto connect, although it will still let me unlock when I walk up to it. Any idea guys? It was working perfectly before update.
I've been having this problem for the last two firmware revisions now. Still haven't figured out a fix for it. At this point, I'm completely unable to use any of the four phones that are paired with the car as a music source.

Edit to add: Yes, I've tried doing complete re-pairing procedures with each phone. The phones still are able to provide all key-phone functionality, but will not connect via Bluetooth to be an audio source.

Yup. And there are actually quite a few places you can go that have public WiFi available to do your updates. Most Starbucks that have an outside seating area have an outside WiFi router to serve those customers.

I've been having this problem for the last two firmware revisions now. Still haven't figured out a fix for it. At this point, I'm completely unable to use any of the four phones that are paired with the car as a music source.

Edit to add: Yes, I've tried doing complete re-pairing procedures with each phone. The phones still are able to provide all key-phone functionality, but will not connect via Bluetooth to be an audio source.
Very frustrating. Same thing - key functionality seems to be working fine (although not before a reconnect) but won't connect to bluetooth automatically. Is this something the Service Center can address?

Very frustrating. Same thing - key functionality seems to be working fine (although not before a reconnect) but won't connect to bluetooth automatically. Is this something the Service Center can address?
Probably not, as it certainly appears to be a bug in the firmware, and the SC folks aren't programmers. : /

Unless we can figure out a work around, we're stuck until Elon has the programming people fix the bugs. :(

key functionality seems to be working fine (although not before a reconnect) but won't connect to bluetooth automatically. Is this something the Service Center can address?

The car's control computer identifies and saves the phone's Bluetooth ID & response for use as a key; this is quite durable.

The car's infotainment system pairs with the phone for audio & data sharing; this is a separate thing and occasionally dies on an upgrade. It might come back if you reboot the infotainment system (two-finger method), or reboot your phone, or both. If not, you may need to re-pair your phone to the infotainment system. (I've only had to do this once in 3 years, apart from when I've bought new phones.)

If not, you may need to re-pair your phone to the infotainment system. (I've only had to do this once in 3 years, apart from when I've bought new phones.)
In my case, the car will not re-pair with any of our family's four phones, two Android phones and two iPhones. At least, it wouldn't with the previous firmware version. I'll try it again today and see if the latest FW fixes the problem.

Edit: Just for clarity, the phones are all working fine as car keys, it's just that they won't connect to the infotainment system to be used as audio sources.

In my case, the car will not re-pair with any of our family's four phones, two Android phones and two iPhones. At least, it wouldn't with the previous firmware version. I'll try it again today and see if the latest FW fixes the problem.

Edit: Just for clarity, the phones are all working fine as car keys, it's just that they won't connect to the infotainment system to be used as audio sources.
Just to update this...

The latest firmware solved the "can't connect phone via Bluetooth as audio for infotainment system" bug; I was able to get all of our phones working as audio sources just fine.

One new bug that hit yesterday, though. The touch screen became completely unresponsive. A "two finger salute" restart fixed it.