TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Software Update

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MSullivan, Jun 18, 2016.

1. MSullivan

MSullivan Member

Got in my 75D this afternoon for a trip and it said there was a software update available. I'm on 7.1. No one is mentioning it. Anyone else see this and know what it addresses? Had to delay it till we get home tonight.

2. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Little updates come fairly often, just fixing bugs. Usually the release notes don't even change. Unfortunately there's no way to tell whether your pending update is one of these little bug fixes or whether it's going to add the new Espresso Machine feature for you, so you just get to try it and see what happens.

3. MSullivan

MSullivan Member

I will take daytime running lights.

4. jf2go

jf2go Member

When my update finished last night, the message on the display showed a release note related to Summon.

5. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

That's funny (to me) because my Classic 2012 Signature got the same update, with the same release note "improved summon". No improvement for me :)

6. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

#6 Johan, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Welcome to the world of Tesla @MSullivan. It's new to you but not to those who have owned a Tesla for more than maybe 3 months.

7. evp

evp Nerd

It's not important to install a firmware update until it's convenient for you. Don't be afraid to postpone it. If you set the download time to 2 or 3 at night it'll be ready for you the next morning; usually takes about 45 minutes to finish.

8. MSullivan

MSullivan Member

I did just that. We are out for the night and I set it for 3 AM. It said it expected to take an hour and 40 minutes.

9. rcsting

rcsting Member

The update fixed the daytime running light issue. :)

10. evp

evp Nerd

Murphy's law clearly implies that firmware updates will be offered the night before a two week vacation, so you have to agonize over accepting them now (with the faint possibility that some feature you really like gets changed or damaged in some way) or having to say "not now" every day for the next two weeks.

My least-favorite annoyance is that I have a quarter Terabyte of MP3s on a USB stick, and every time I get a firmware update the car has to reassemble its song database. It doesn't think to do that as soon as it reboots -- oh no, it starts when you actually select the USB stick because you want to play a song, and in my case the process lasts 5 minutes.

11. TMobe

TMobe I have forgotten more than I remember

What
    What was the daytime running light issue? I liked the running light being on until I locked my car. Now I believe they go off right away.

12. chillaban

chillaban Member

The facelifted Model S had a problem where the DRL would only activate when the headlights activated when the switch was set to Auto. This poses a problem in jurisdictions where it's illegal not to have DRLs, but also the front end doesn't look as attractive without the fancy DRLs running.

That's great news if this update solves that issue.

• Like x 2
  13. brec

brec Member

Every update says that, regardless of what the time taken actually is.