Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Little updates come fairly often, just fixing bugs. Usually the release notes don't even change. Unfortunately there's no way to tell whether your pending update is one of these little bug fixes or whether it's going to add the new Espresso Machine feature for you, so you just get to try it and see what happens.

It's not important to install a firmware update until it's convenient for you. Don't be afraid to postpone it. If you set the download time to 2 or 3 at night it'll be ready for you the next morning; usually takes about 45 minutes to finish.

It's not important to install a firmware update until it's convenient for you. Don't be afraid to postpone it. If you set the download time to 2 or 3 at night it'll be ready for you the next morning; usually takes about 45 minutes to finish.

I did just that. We are out for the night and I set it for 3 AM. It said it expected to take an hour and 40 minutes.

Murphy's law clearly implies that firmware updates will be offered the night before a two week vacation, so you have to agonize over accepting them now (with the faint possibility that some feature you really like gets changed or damaged in some way) or having to say "not now" every day for the next two weeks.

My least-favorite annoyance is that I have a quarter Terabyte of MP3s on a USB stick, and every time I get a firmware update the car has to reassemble its song database. It doesn't think to do that as soon as it reboots -- oh no, it starts when you actually select the USB stick because you want to play a song, and in my case the process lasts 5 minutes.

What

What was the daytime running light issue? I liked the running light being on until I locked my car. Now I believe they go off right away.
The facelifted Model S had a problem where the DRL would only activate when the headlights activated when the switch was set to Auto. This poses a problem in jurisdictions where it's illegal not to have DRLs, but also the front end doesn't look as attractive without the fancy DRLs running.

That's great news if this update solves that issue.

Reactions: TMobe and rcsting