Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone get the new software update this morning? At least my new car finally has some of the features shown to me during last years test drive, i.e. autosteer, driver assist cruise control. However i still don't seem to have any summon features or autopark!. Is it just me or are others in the same situation?.

Did anyone get the new software update this morning? At least my new car finally has some of the features shown to me during last years test drive, i.e. autosteer, driver assist cruise control. However i still don't seem to have any summon features or autopark!. Is it just me or are others in the same situation?.

I've had mine for about a week unless it's a new update. This should be the first roll out of many.

You cannot see what cars have what versions of the firmware, and add your own info here: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App.

Had my MX for a week and it the same capabilities as my MS June 2014. They should not sell as car without all the advertised and invoiced features. The promise from the DS was that AP2 etc would update the night of delivery - a week on and nowt. Any UK MX owners in the same boat ? I am about to rock it with TM.

Had my MX for a week and it the same capabilities as my MS June 2014. They should not sell as car without all the advertised and invoiced features. The promise from the DS was that AP2 etc would update the night of delivery - a week on and nowt. Any UK MX owners in the same boat ? I am about to rock it with TM.

In fairness to Tesla, AP2 was never advertised as being fully functioning from day one, this from the Design Studio:

Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval.

As I'm sure you'll remember from your MS, the updates are issued to random batches of vehicles without a determinable timeframe and the DS was very mistaken to make the promise he/she did. Mind you, not uncommon for a DS to that, as well meaning as I'm sure it was.

In fairness to Tesla, AP2 was never advertised as being fully functioning from day one, this from the Design Studio:

Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval.

As I'm sure you'll remember from your MS, the updates are issued to random batches of vehicles without a determinable timeframe and the DS was very mistaken to make the promise he/she did. Mind you, not uncommon for a DS to that, as well meaning as I'm sure it was.

What do you mean they never advertised it as fully functioning. They say to look at their video to see it in action. Not sure how you can miss that when you view the Tesla website. They are showing you the vehicle driving itself with all functions still not available.

• Helpful
Reactions: JeffreyY
What do you mean they never advertised it as fully functioning. They say to look at their video to see it in action. Not sure how you can miss that when you view the Tesla website. They are showing you the vehicle driving itself with all functions still not available.

I agree, they do indeed. To my knowledge they never said they would all be functioning from day one.

Note that the wording has recently changed. It used to say:
Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval.

Note that none of that wording talks about a 45mph wobble steer with exit diving and stationary car dance. The "features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed" wording is very new, and certainly not there when the OP ordered his car.

teslas configurator also stated that Enhanced Autopilot would be rolled out by December 2016...

I'm about to collect my MS60D and a little disappointed that it will have none of the AP features that my friends 2 year old model has.

AP1 (parity) is not worth the money you (or I :) ) paid, what you need is AP2 and that will be some time coming.

I would say the majority of my driving is on Dual Carriageways, and on considerably more than 50% of those I use AP.

I have a hand on the wheel at all times, and right foot hovering the pedals - accelerator override is required to overcome rare but sudden, inappropriate (although explainable), heavy braking. There is no right foot rest (unlike every other TACC car I've driven - although maybe that's not the norm) and it is tiring on my ankle.

I take over frequently. I have no idea if I need to, and apart from curve-over-brow-of-hill I trust AP, but what I don't know is, even with lightening reactions, IF AP will react. So if a vehicle I am about to pass is very close to the dividing line (AP makes no attempt to move further over) I override AP just-in-case. If I signal to change lanes and car does not move within a second or so (probably 50% of the time) I take over - otherwise following cars will either be confused by signal+no-action, or think I'm a twit ... In foul weather it is common for AP not to give me the (T) AP symbol at all. And so on.

So AP1 is all-but "manual driving". However, I would say (and I do honestly think this is OBjective) that AP1 is less tiring; I have a frequent (highway) journey that I do 9:30PM - 11PM and back in ICE days I was always fighting tiredness the last dozen or so miles, never [as in: not once] has that happened since AP; so for that reason I favour using AP on most dual carriageway journeys. The Bing-Bong as AP goes on, and off, is reasonably annoying for passengers, particularly if nodding off!, but I expect there are others that intercede less often than I do and thus don't have those issues.

Sorry you don't have AP1-parity, sorry its late, I hope you plan to keep your car long enough that AP2 will have been rolled out in its full glory, but apart from mates-bragging-rights [yeah, I do that too - road within a mile is perfect as it has both a Launch-straight :cool: and curves tight enough to be really impressive :eek: on AP] AP1 is not going to change your life.

Actually, one caveat: in crawling traffic AP is absolutely marvellous. Just don't forget to turn AP off when the car in front of you gets to the front of the queue for the junction / roundabout / etc. otherwise you will just set off after it!!

If I recall correctly, the video was for Full Self-Driving Capability not Enhanced Autopilot. If you are expecting all the features from the video, you are going to be disappointed. The Full Self-Driving Capability hasn't been released yet and while an "Elon date" of within 6 months has been toted on twitter, it will need to go through regulators before people that have had the extra for the Full Self Driving get it.

When the original AP1 came out it was months before it was working correctly, so it's still early days for AP2.

17.4.14 for HW1 released and is well covered, I found my AP1 is now more responsive. I think HW/AP2 is delaying the release of 8.1 also (app and overall UI/Kernal updates) while they get their software plan sorted for AP2 to be on parity with AP/HW1.

well i seem to have started a bit of a thread here... i too have noticed the stationary car wobble and the delayed acceleration when on AP if i am signalling to overtake. What i am missing though is the auto park feature that was demonstrated to me back in September when i first had a test drive. This was obviously on the AP1 version, but i cant think of anything contentious with including it in the AP2 version?? Come on Tesla.........

Its odd but 17.4.14 for me has improved my HW1 responsiveness, quickness and it is much busier (sensors searching constantly) and it sees the lines on the road much much better now?
I'm happy it has improved this drivers HW1 so hoping 8.1 and the new suite of updates diue will add another new level of improved performance.
Of course I can't rule out that the HW1 I was using was a little less responsive than others and all I have done is catch up, but I have to say it is just much more active and busy and responsive and accurate than before the update.

I picked up my X on Jan 19th & still have nothing AP wise

What version are you on? (Pressing the (T) on the dashboard will tell you)

Then Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App will tell you what versions are out there, how many cars already have that version (if only a few then it may not be on "general release") and from that you can get a good idea of whether you are up-to-date(ish!) or not.

There are also applications like www.teslafi.com which will log all your journeys and provide useful Stats and so on, but that also have a log of when your car downloaded each version, and how that compares against the rest of the fleet. (Such applications only start logging from when you Join, they cannot obtain retrospective data)

Possibly a daft question, but are the firmware updates pushed out in the same way as the software ones are?

I'm not entirely sure of what you are asking. People may be using the terms "software update" and firmware update" somewhat interchangeably. Both refer to the main software. You can check what version you have by pressing the Tesla T on the 17" display.

The only other kind of update is a maps update, and those just happen--about once a year--and you are informed, via a pop-up message, that the maps have been updated. Unlike the other kind of update, you don't schedule it or approve it. It just happens.

What version are you on? (Pressing the (T) on the dashboard will tell you)

Then Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App will tell you what versions are out there, how many cars already have that version (if only a few then it may not be on "general release") and from that you can get a good idea of whether you are up-to-date(ish!) or not.

There are also applications like www.teslafi.com which will log all your journeys and provide useful Stats and so on, but that also have a log of when your car downloaded each version, and how that compares against the rest of the fleet. (Such applications only start logging from when you Join, they cannot obtain retrospective data)

I have version 2.52.120 which is the same as when I picked it up. I have absolutely no AP function at all - not even what was shown to me when I had a test drive & I did choose to upgrade to the AP2 prior to the car being built.

I saw Elon tweet On Jan 22nd to say a limited AP2 update had been released to all cars & seemingly lots of people in the Facebook group got it about a week later. So I feel like I'm the only one with absolutely no AP capability at all, no summon, no auto steer, parking - nothing. It's much like driving any other luxury car at the mo