Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates accumulated..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon everyone. I have a doubt. If the Tesla Model X stands still for a while and the software updates accumulate, when will you use the car again, do you have to do all the updates individually, or does the last one cover all the others? Thanks in advance.

There is a YouTube pose on here..
someone skipped a release, waited for the app to re-announce the next one and it was 2018.24.1 and not the skipped 2018.21.9 and it installed without issue.

So it appears it installs what is needed to update your image (at least from that one sample lol).

And of course from that you see they are not differential software patches and you don’t need them all.

If you can stand to ignore the ‘yellow clock’, wait for the app to tell you about the next one and go ahead and load that one.

NOTE that the SC will/might re-trigger a reload of the current one so don’t trust a notification from a visit to the Service Center as a ‘new’ version. All they do is trigger a download of the ‘current’ version whatever it is.

There is a YouTube pose on here..
someone skipped a release, waited for the app to re-announce the next one and it was 2018.24.1 and not the skipped 2018.21.9 and it installed without issue.

So it appears it installs what is needed to update your image (at least from that one sample lol).

And of course from that you see they are not differential software patches and you don’t need them all.

If you can stand to ignore the ‘yellow clock’, wait for the app to tell you about the next one and go ahead and load that one.

NOTE that the SC will/might re-trigger a reload of the current one so don’t trust a notification from a visit to the Service Center as a ‘new’ version. All they do is trigger a download of the ‘current’ version whatever it is.
Thanks

Late last year, I had not received notification of several updates that were available for my model X. One night, I received "update available". I initiated the update for that night, it updated all 3 updates simultaneously from 17.42 to 17.50.2. So it appears that Tesla will install any requisite updates at the time of a later one. This seems logical.

I suspect there could be some "stepping stone" updates that cars must have to continue updating. I suspect 2018.24.1 may contain groundwork for some later improvements. That could explain the broad distribution.

Our car had not updated since 2018.10.4. Despite contacting service, configuring a wireless VLAN isolated from all other home network components and parking it for optimal wireless reception. The car was manufactured in July 2017, has EAP 2.0. May have an unusual mix of component vintages since EAP 2.5 and newer drive units were phasing in.

I've seen that with servers, where a specific update brings firmware for several components to a new configuration. Subsequent updates only work with components in the new configuration. Thus, if you wanted to get an unpatched server to a post-stepping stone release, first step was to apply the stepping stone update. Then you could jump to the newest version.