Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Updates after Delivery?

airforcewon

Nov 1, 2019
Bay Area
Hi folks, just picked up my new stealth M3 today! :)

Driving home, I noticed that my car's still running v9.X and it offered an "install update now" option which I promptly triggered once I got home. Maybe a minute or two after starting the update (after the 2 minute countdown), it reported "update failed: wait for the next update" (or something along those lines).

I'd appreciate any feedback on next steps here -- should I be patient and wait to see if a software update option shows up in the app soon? Call Tesla and walk through some probably-obvious troubleshooting steps? Return the car and ask for a new one with v10 installed? ( just kidding about that last one... :) )

Thanks in advance!

camalaio

May 28, 2019
Vernon, BC, Canada
Hear me out... try what it says (waiting).

If it's a few days and it still doesn't work, then you can try to message support (I honestly can't remember how I did this, sorry - I think it was on the website) and get them to trigger something remotely. In my case I messaged them because I had half-downloaded V10 over the course of a week of spotty hotspots and then it disappeared and wouldn't offer it anymore.

Chris3g

Oct 14, 2019
Ramsey NJ
I also picked up a stealth model yesterday and also on software v9. Mine hasn’t even prompted that an update is available yet. A bit annoying but it seems to be pretty normal, I assume it will come through eventually.

Rockster

Oct 22, 2013
McKinney, TX
I also picked up a stealth model yesterday and also on software v9. Mine hasn’t even prompted that an update is available yet. A bit annoying but it seems to be pretty normal, I assume it will come through eventually.

It will come through faster if your car is on WiFi.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
You have v9 most likely because that is what was loaded on the storage when it was created. As was said you will get the current update quickly if your car is on WiFi. Be sure it’s on a good wifi signal, reboot the car (two scroll wheels) and let it be.

It takes a few days sometimes for new cars to be added to the update list.

JordyJr12

Nov 3, 2019
Jersey City NJ
In the same boat! Just picked up my stealth model 3 (guess there was a rush of them this past week) and I’m waiting for any sign of the update! Really want version 10 on my new car

JordyJr12

Nov 3, 2019
Jersey City NJ
Just updated! Sent a couple messages to Tesla and set up an appointment to have the software installed. Not sure if that helped it push through or not.

oh man...the sound on movies in this car. Excited to watch while charging on the road.

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
Just updated! Sent a couple messages to Tesla and set up an appointment to have the software installed. Not sure if that helped it push through or not.

oh man...the sound on movies in this car. Excited to watch while charging on the road.

That's great! How's the video quality with streaming?

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
Those still waiting, try this. FB group reports 100% success rate getting V.10 to update.

When parked and near your Wi-Fi try turning the software setting from advanced to standard then back to advanced again. It will search for the update and then start downloading.

bolero

May 21, 2019
Vancouver
Those still waiting, try this. FB group reports 100% success rate getting V.10 to update.

When parked and near your Wi-Fi try turning the software setting from advanced to standard then back to advanced again. It will search for the update and then start downloading.
or tap and Hold the Advanced button for about a minute till you see start downloading....I'm at 36.2.1 now.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC